Do I need To Replace Snare Wires???

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mcrp
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:15 pm

Would it make my export snare sound any better if i bought new Snares for the bottom? does it even make a difference what kind of snare you put on the bottom, or are all of them pretty much the same??
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:20 am

hey dude id only replace the snares, if they were badly damaged ie bent badly but no real need! unless you wana try 40 snare set instead of 20. apparently it creates a totally different type of buzz. good luck
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
tabbott23
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:23 pm

yer i wud. the export ones aren't that great. i'd spend your money wisely though. DW or PureSound wires are the best. also, try some different materials. find out what yours are made from, then, do some research to see what sound you want and what metal will achieve that for you
Tama Starclassic drums
Proudly Endorse - BIGFOOT Beaters
Zildjian K + Avedis Cymbals
DW 5000 Pedals + 9000 Stands
VicFirth Sticks
REMO Heads
veerubio
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:31 pm

really the difference it makes may not be so noticable. U might want to try different tensionson the strainer/kickback.
ilike2rock
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:49 pm

i dont know what u guys r talking about! switching from crappy gibraltars to pure sounds was the best descision ive ever made. the sound difference is definitlly there ur snare sound is coming from your SNARE so obviously its important AND pure sounds are welded on to copper so the welding holds alot better and u have less chance of them snapping off
wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:54 pm

i personally use the rythem tech active snare set...very nice...no unwanted rattle,crisp sound,and they dont rattle when i throw them down for a tom sound....a much better improvement from the crappy snares that came on my snare drum
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:24 pm

Well, your problem may not be with your snare wire, but with your resonant head.

How old is it?
How bad does it look?

I use a very thin resonant head , and an Aquarian Hi-Energy on the batter head. It sounds nice, but i've got very little low-end to work with...Im thinkin about switching to G1 on bottom and G2 on top...see how that works.

But look at your resonant head, that's where your problem might stem from.
Vetis
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:41 pm

hey as a suggestion dude try the evans hazy 300 as the reso head instead of the g1. the g1 might be a bit thick for your snare and choke it a bit. but up to yourself dude.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
disrupt13
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:26 am

considering my wires on it are blown out, i'd change it... it all depends what kind of sound you want to....
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:27 pm

First;the drum it's self is fine(I know,that's what I play on).

Second;Heads...I use Aquarian Hi-Energy batter head(cranked up real tight)...Get you tone you want with the bottom head against the carpeted floor.

Third;I use a plain jane Evans reso head(standard tuning)...too tight it pulls away from the snares/too loose and they crap out the sound.

Fourth;Pure sound snares are awesome(very sensitive)...depending on weather you want "KRACK" or a taditional sound depends on how tight you tighten up the snare wires.(Ipersonally like a massive "KRACK!"...so,I tighten up my snares ALOT)

They used to have "cat gut" snares(might still make them)that were the shit.

:twisted:
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
Sir Grinch
new
new

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:34 pm

Replacing the snare wires is always a good thing. Take a visual of them and if they look stretched out and uneven. If just the slightest, toss them and get new wires.
Not all snare wires are the same though...
I'm recording with a Pearl13 inch pic with the factory wires on it. After taking weeks of dialing in the drum sound, my snare was the sore thumb. The wires were just to noisy, bleeding through the tom mics. I used duct tape and some weather stripping and ended up choking the drum completely. I went to Guitar Center and picked up some Gibraltar wires for $6. ( the only set of 13in strings )
They were crap!!!
I switched back to the Pearl wires for the time being. I'm probably gonna have to order a good set of wires. I'm looking at Pure Sound wires.
The bottom line is that you should change your wires every few months and if you have about $20 to $30, get the good ones.
Peace
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:56 pm

Try changing your heads first. That should make a huge difference.
Like the other dude said, you may want to look into a new strainer/butt.

Most of my snare wires are factory ones. One set lost a strand, but it still sounds great.

You may end up getting new everything though, depends on what you're looking for.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
drummert2k

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:12 pm

instead of replacing the snares put the money toward a good drum. no matter what heads and snares you uses if you have a crappy snare its gonna sound like a crappy snare. you can get decent sounding snares for like $150 bucks. the snare is a major part of the kit. spent the extra money and get a good one.
screamkevin

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:03 am

I respectfully must disagree, drummert2k. While it's nice to have the $$$ to get a decent snare, there's nothing wrong with an entry level snare, as long as you treat it right, equip it well, and tune it right.

My main snare is a plain-jane entry level Yamaha 6.5x14 Steel Snare. But it sounds unbelievably good (that coming from my soundman, his crew, and my bandmates, not me). All I did to it was replace the issued heads (with Attack 2-Ply Coated [batter], and Attack Thin Skyn [reso]), replace the issued snares (with PureSound Varitone Heavy Snare Wires), and use a DrumDial to assist me in my tuning. I tend to tune the reso head just a touch higher than the batter, and I get a nice, full-bodied sound and a ton of *crack*.

As long as you know what you're doing, you can make an entry-level drum sound like a pro-level drum.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
Agent McKelley
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:12 am

Copper carried energy and is much more sensitive.

Switch your snares and be wise about it. It is worth the money to get good ones.

Also switch out that bottom head.

You will be pleased with yourself and I promise you, you will notice a difference the moment you get tuned up and play.