Muffling

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Snare Drum Muffled or Unmuffled?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:57 pm

unmuffled
20%
muffled using internal muffler
No votes
muffled using external mylar ring
40%
muffled w/ tape
No votes
muffled w/ gel pad
20%
muffled other
20%

Total votes: 5
waltondrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:57 pm

Just wondering people's thoughts on snare muffling....I read a very well put post (don't quite recall where) that stated snares are most always better unmuffled and ringing out (I prefer a more muffled tone myself) as from the listener's perspective (away from & facing the set) a muffled snare will most always sound like garbage. He clearly said it's decieving because many sound better from the driver's seat muffled - but from the other side of the kit it will ALWAYS sound better unmuffled & ringing.

I know the obvious answer would be to stand away from my set as someone plays it both ways....as well as even recording it both ways too...but I'm curious what others may have encountered from their experiences & tastes...I've just always gone muffled because it sounds cleaner to me - sorry to say I never quite thought it through from the other side of the set...
SkinBeater
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:04 pm

waltondrummer wrote:Just wondering people's thoughts on snare muffling....I read a very well put post (don't quite recall where) that stated snares are most always better unmuffled and ringing out (I prefer a more muffled tone myself) as from the listener's perspective (away from & facing the set) a muffled snare will most always sound like garbage. He clearly said it's decieving because many sound better from the driver's seat muffled - but from the other side of the kit it will ALWAYS sound better unmuffled & ringing.

I know the obvious answer would be to stand away from my set as someone plays it both ways....as well as even recording it both ways too...but I'm curious what others may have encountered from their experiences & tastes...I've just always gone muffled because it sounds cleaner to me - sorry to say I never quite thought it through from the other side of the set...

Whoever wrote that article is 100% correct.
Muffling cuts the higher frequencys which deadens the sound and cut while playing with a full band arrangement... as far as over-ring... that tends to disappear when your playing with other instruments. As far as my experiences.. i don't muffle the snare at all.. i like it to breath, have resonance and sound... as for my toms, i use the gel pads(about 1 inch rubber pads)..they work just perfect for me...

Rock on...

Jon

check out my drum vids at
www.myspace.com/shogun_warrior32
"Hold the red star proudly..."

Check out more vids at... www.myspace.com/shogun_warrior32
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:26 pm

I usually don't use muffling. But sometimes I tape a handkerchief to the rim and put it on the edge of the head, to get a tiny bit of muffling.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:39 am

I'm currently using evans genera dry on my snare so it's a bit muffled but I'm going back to ambassador coated soon, unmuffled all the way :)
dim my eyes if they should compromise