TWO snares or one?

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

meddlejordison
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:06 pm

I also have to snares for my drum set. I mainly use one if my other if my main one breaks or something like that. But it adds as a cool effect if you want different snare sounds during a song or a solo.
"It isn't what I do on stage that matters it is what I didn't"
-John Bonham
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:49 pm

I'd say you should have at least 2 snares. It's good to have a back up in your set-up, or at least laying nearby in case you kill your main snare. Also, your main snare could sound like crap or be too quiet in some places and your second snare might be a better choice for that gig.

I like to use my second snare as a bongo-ish or timbale-ish sounding percussion toy to throw a little tribal feel into some of the metal songs I play.
If it's not metal, I can usually get away with one snare that's tuned well, but I like to vary the snare sound drastically so I still prefer to have 2 well tuned snares.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:17 pm

I have 2, a regular 14"x5.5" Starclassic B/B and a Hammered Steel 12"x4.

Both sound very different and I think that's important.. not much point spending hundreds on a snare that sounds just like the one you already have. :-P

I think snares are one of the most important elements on the kit, PARTICULARLY when playing small rock venues or gigs where you have to use a backline kit. That snare is your one voice other than your cymbals.

You can always tell a well tuned snare when you hear it.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:00 am

I guess I am not the right guy to ask this too, I have just one snare and I am SEVERLY addicted to it. I have a Pearl Piccolo snare and I can count the number of times I have used it on one hand.
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:43 am

I can't understand why this is an issue. It takes a few seconds to remove a piece of unwanted equipment.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
mikeymidnight
new
new

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:09 pm

snare drums. always a touchy subject. right now im playing a pearl sensitone as my main snare, with a pacific 10x6 maple snare mounted off my left side hats. i use the side snare mostly for the faster ska/punk style, but theyre completely versitile for whatever depending on how you tune...so use 2...or more! get all the sounds you want, thats what being percussive is all about.
MikeyMidnight
Pearl Session Custom
Gibralter/Pearl hardwear
www.factorymetalpercussion.com/up&coming.htm
www.purevolume.com/mikebalzarini
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:29 pm

I have 2 snares. My main one is a black 5 1/2 x14 Ludwig snare, and my second one...I don't know the name of it because it's old, my dad used it in the 80's, and it was in pieces in the attic for a while, then he took it down one day cuz he had some spare time, and i put it together for him, and that's my snare story.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads
skinnyme
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:36 pm

Go for two - maybe 3.
Several reasons.
Depends on the versitallity of music you play for one
If you pop a drumhead = instant replacement.
Sound variation = Some songs work best with a high tight crisp crackin snare (Dance, Reggae, Latin)...Others sound best with a deep phat blunderingly LOUD booming snare ( Def Leopard type Rock-n-Roll).
Now then - if you are profficient with keeping the HH going via foot power = you can hit BOTH snares at once creating a whole new sound. Or even a FLAM attack using the 2 snare drums - this is an INCREDIBLE attack and the sound is HEAD TURNING

Pearl Rythym Traveler kit
Pearl 5x13 mahogany snare, black finnish
Ludwig 5x14 Supra Phonic Black Sparkle Metal Snare (SOB is LOUD)
Ziljian, Paiste, and Sabians
Vic Firth SD-1
iplaydrums1
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:17 pm

demented drummer, do you have a picture of your kit? id love to see it...it sounds awesome.

i have two snares, one is my joey jordison signature (not a big slipknot fan though, but his snare is great) and i have the mapex saturn blue sparkle that came with the kit to the left of me with the snares off.

i like it because it gives me an advantage if im playing "darker" sounding stuff, or even latin. funny thing is i got the idea from James C. of flyleaf and danny carey of Tool, so i just stole the idea, then noticed a lot of drummers did it.