Drum Workshop "piccolo-toms"

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

m
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:38 am

Animal wrote:Are they in fact all the same?
Pearl "Brass Timbale"
Hart "Pro-tom" (EDIT! These are electronic drums, right?)
Drum Workshop "Piccolo-tom"

Your piccolo-toms, are they DW, or a different brand?

I don't think these would sound the same, really.

The Pearl is closer to the dimensions of a typical timbale, so I think they'd sound much different than a pic tom. More metallic, sort of like a metal snare with the snares off.

The piccolos sound much more like a small tom- boingier, with a definite pitch and long decay.

The Hart Pro-tom is an electronic trigger pad. I gigged with one of those for several years. It has no acoustic tone; it uses a mesh head and has a solid, closed bottom surface.

My piccs are DW, I bought them from the local dealer.
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:47 am

m wrote:My band is linked in my signature- (I think the musicplayer is glitching on that page right now though- but the one on our backup account works; http://www.myspace.com/analogmissionary2 )
or there's the regular old homepage: http://www.analogmissionary.com
we do have a couple albums, but they don't have any of the middle-eastern tunes, we just got into that recently- it'll be on the upcoming album.

Come to think of it, I do have a prepro track we're working on that features the pic tom in it, if you'd like to hear it.

Thank's a lot for good description on those piccolo-toms, m! :D
I really appericiate it!

Your piccolo-toms; Are they different sizes, or are they both 12"s?

Any thoughts on using same size on the piccolo's, compared to three different size's?

I would most definately like to hear your prepro track, if possible! :D I'll check out your link later on, as I have no sound on my PC, where I am now. (My cohabitant and her daughter is filling the room performing "Singstar"-tunes, no less if you must know... :roll: )

Thanks again for really useful information! (Unless you endorse DW products, that is! :wink: )

You made my decition a lot easier, and I will definately concider buying 2 or three piccolo-toms! 8)
ImageImageImage
m
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:49 am

hehe; nope - not a DW endorser. We do have a DW kit at our main studio, but we paid for it.

Both my piccs are 8", but they have a wide tunable range, so they sound pretty different. I think even if you get 3 of the same size, you won't have a problem getting a variety of tones.

I don't have the track loaded up anywhere yet- hoping to do that soon...
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:31 am

m wrote:hehe; nope - not a DW endorser. We do have a DW kit at our main studio, but we paid for it.

Both my piccs are 8", but they have a wide tunable range, so they sound pretty different. I think even if you get 3 of the same size, you won't have a problem getting a variety of tones.

I don't have the track loaded up anywhere yet- hoping to do that soon...

Just kidding about that DW enorsement thing! :wink:

The reason I asked about using piccolos in similar sizes, was due to the fact that some sizes often sound better than others.

Why did you choose to have two similar sizes, m?
Is it because the 8"s sound better than the other sizes, or did you just got the best bargain on those drums?

Tuning-wise, how large is the range on the piccolo-drum (performing quality notes), roughly speaking?
ImageImageImage
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:29 am

m wrote:I believe they did manufacture some wooden-shelled models, but they were rare.

Just thought I'd mention that I found this picture on a dutch website.

The seller states that "2x8" piccolo tom (wooden shell)" and "The two piccolo toms were custom made after the kit - their birth date is October 2, 2000 with/registered number #72009. There are absolutely no signs of wear or age. The hand-applied lacquer finish is called Regal to Royal Burst. All shells are equipped with reinforcement rings"

Anyway, a real nice kit indeed! :D

I sure would like to wooden piccolo-toms in "solid black" myself. :wink:

Anyway, it says "€ 1600", all included! :shock:

That can't be possible, or can it?! :?
Sounds like a real bargain buy (all though it's probably sold, because it was enclosed in february 06).
ImageImageImage
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:38 am

that sounds like a really good deal!
dim my eyes if they should compromise