Premier drums

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

nFbDynox
new
new

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:03 pm

My first really nice drumset was a premier. It's a 1999 Premier XPK. It's emerald green in color w/ chrome accents. It's a very beautiful sounding kit. I enjoyed playing it for 7 years until I got my Pearl. Now having two drum sets I figuered I would put them both together. Crazy sounding right? Not really, I was suprised that the pearl and premier kits sound very nice together. The pearl is a little deeper in tone but the premier has better sound without dampening. Anyways, the Premier set's are very nice, sound great, and i love the feel of them. Plus my Premier kit cost me 1,200. That was also back in 1999 when I got it.

i have some pic's of both kits here. http://www.myspace.com/nfbnightstalker
1999 Premier XPK Emerlad Green 5 Piece
2006 Pearl Forum Series 5 Peice
Tama Iron Cobra (Lefty) Double Kick
20" Z Custom Ride
20" Z Custom China
14" A Custom Hi-hats
10" K Splash
14" AAX-METAL Crash
18" Sabian Crash
Roc n' Soc throne
Rem
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:39 pm

i live 5 miles away(ish) from the factory,

got a Cabria XPK back in july wooo

it was funny, because they sent the kit all the way down to london to ship back upto me.

premier kits are great.
Drumming is my passion.
Recording is a habit.

R.I.P Mitch Mitchell
Maarcuus
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:49 am

PremierGyorfi wrote:I play an early 90's XPK in Sapphire. They have the black finish on the inside of the shells. I bought them second hand eight years ago and love them. I need to find an eight inch tom though. Anyone know where I can get one in the same finish? I'd like to buy a premier series maple kit someday. Love the Premiers!

How much are you willing to pay for an 8x8" tom?
slingerland66
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:08 am

my first drumset was a 1996 Premier XPK in a black satin wrap... Stunning look and sound on stage... birch/ ecalyptus*SP?* wood. GREAT kit. i dont use it as much as i like to...
Use vintage drums with vented snares for the best of both worlds.
Drumdiddy
new
new

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:13 pm

Hi. I live in British Columbia, Canada. I have had a 5 piece, XPK , Tobacco Sunburst (TSL) kit since 1999. I love em. The Birch / Eucalyptus wrap provides a warm rich sound. an excellent rock/ jazz fusion kit. I am looking for an 8 inch tom in this color. Any assistance is appreciated
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:09 am

quikstang2 wrote:karma10drummer and drmrdude04, your sets look nice guys.

If anyone runs across one of those pre-international sets or individual drums could you send me a pm? I'm looking to add to my kit.
I've got the 11 7/8" rack tom, 16 1/4 floor tom and a full 22" bass which is roughly 14" deep. It's birch with beech reinforcements and I think they made them from 1960-1967...at least with my badges.

thanks,
mike

You're going to be limited in what you can add to your kit as Premier only made toms in a limited selection. The easiest route would be to add another 16" as the 15" deep floor toms are very common. Premier also made a 20" deep 16 floor tom which are less common.

For adding rack toms, the most common from this time was the 14" which was 8" deep (Keith Moon used three of them across his bass drums), much rarer is the 10" tom, also 8" deep, but they stopped making this in early 60's.
Proud endorser of
HIGHWOOD DRUMS, PAISTE CYMBALS, SILVERFOX STICKS, BASKEY ACCESSORIES, DUALLIST PEDALS & HARDCASE CASES.
danielkostenko
new
new

Post Tue May 06, 2008 1:53 pm

I have 2 Premier 5 piece kits that my dad got me. Both are the UK made (says on the badges) and they sound fantastic. I like them better than my first kit which was a vintage Ludwig 5 piece.
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue May 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Jazzers rave on and on about Gretsch, and they did dominate with that distinctive sound, but during the 60's some of the greatest American Jazz Drummers played Premier kits. They made (and still make) great instruments.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
kanta1
new
new

Post Thu May 08, 2008 2:12 pm

I'm form Croatia and we use the Premier drums in our school and I can tell you they suck. we changed the hardware a million times...the drums are old school...but they do make great snare drums....but the hardware...no way ! and the sound isn't that good either
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu May 08, 2008 3:20 pm

Thanks for the benefit of your long term experience, where would the world be without such an insightful critique?
Proud endorser of
HIGHWOOD DRUMS, PAISTE CYMBALS, SILVERFOX STICKS, BASKEY ACCESSORIES, DUALLIST PEDALS & HARDCASE CASES.
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri May 09, 2008 4:42 am

Kanta. How old are these Drums? What level are they, I doubt if you have stumbled over a set of Resonaters there. What kind of life do you think they've had at a shcool? I used to teach Drums around local schools, mostly I'd find budget rubbish in Music departments, but occasionally I came across an old beauty here and there. An old Rogers from the 60's and a Sonor kit in Jazz sizes from around the 70's. Both totally fucked! The Sonor still had remenants of it's sound, but boy that Rogers was on it's knees. If I were to base my opinion on those company's because of that I would be very stupidly mistaken.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
Rem
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri May 09, 2008 11:58 am

Bigd11 wrote:anybody play Premier drums? im from england and i play Premier mainly cos there made just up the road in leicester, just wondering if any other people on here played Premier and if so where do you come from?

SNAP
Drumming is my passion.
Recording is a habit.

R.I.P Mitch Mitchell