Premier drums

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Bigd11
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:15 pm

anybody play Premier drums? im from england and i play Premier mainly cos there made just up the road in leicester, just wondering if any other people on here played Premier and if so where do you come from?
Heresy! \M/
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:29 am

I don't have Premiers myself but I often use a set of Artist Maples. They're great drums but I don't like their ISO tom mounts.

PS - Premier makes some great hardware! I use 6000 boom stand (which carries 12'' tom and three cymbals) and 6000 snare stand. Both are quality stands
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Bigd11
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:20 pm

awesome, i play artist maples but i quite like the ISO mounting system i think the look of it is very retro as far as mounting systems go, but each to there own i suppose

And i very strognly agree with you as regards to the hardware, all my hardware is 6000 series apart from my double pedal which is an iron cobra but i do have a 6000 double pedal but the iron cobra is just awesome, but all the 6000 series hardware is just outstanding, all the updates they have done on them is outstanding
Heresy! \M/
JaredWard
new
new

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:35 pm

I use the Gen-X series, there on my myspace. Got em off Ebay for a awesome price but I've been using Premier drums since 2002. I really think there the best quality sounding drums out there. Its weird because most people dont play em here in the states. I'm from Ohio but Scott Phillips (Alter Bridge/Creed) is the guy I have to thank for turning me to em. Heres the specs:

Gun Metal Laquer Finish - Toms - (10in 12in 14in 16in) - Bass (22in)
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:46 pm

I've got some vintage Premiers. I'm told they're international sized pre-1973 beech wood 4-piece. I'm in the middle of restoring and upgrading them. Too many details to list, but I'll keep everyone posted.

Bigd11, if you ever get a chance would you mind asking Premier exactly what diameter, depth and anything else about them that would be good to know?
I've asked tons of experts and emailed Premier and I haven't gotten any answers. I tried measuring them but they aren't metric or American sized.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
panteracfh3
new
new

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:58 pm

I have a 9 piece set of Premier APK. They've held the test of time over the last 14 years. I had to replace my original snare because it started to sound like shit but other than that, the kicks & toms still sound awesome. They even held up from the band's move from Boston to LA.
diceptikon
new
new

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:42 am

you guys are pretty much not smart and can't help it, or from england. especially the guy who can't measure his drum dimensions. please explain to me how they are not metric or american. and then explain what underground drumhead company makes drumheads for them that aren't in inch" increments.
burn...burn in the belly of a shark
PritchDingo
new
new

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:50 am

I've been playing a premier kit for the past 4 year's my first kit was a CB kit hahaha. But yea i think the premier kit's are class im not really sure what series my kit is so if anyone can gimme a hand that'll be good cheer's.

Sam , Devon
ash
new
new

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:23 am

I'm lucky enough to carry an endorsement with Premier and have recently had a hand made all maple kit delivered for the tour I'm on currently. The shells are amazing and completley kick the ass off the Yamaha gear I've been playing for years. It's beatifully constructed, sounds amazing and looks gorgeous... what more could a drummer ask for?

I would agree that the 6000 series cymbal and snare stands are great, although the kick and hi-hat pedals Premier produce do need some work. From what I was told at the factory they should be addressing that problem next year.
drummiesyd
new
new

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:25 am

I play a Premier kit in which you can see on my my space page at www.myspace.com/lamontsydnor. I love my drums. I use to have a 6 piece XPK when I was younger.

I am looking for a Genista series kit as we speak white marble or sparkel or natural wood, 8, 10 , 12, 14, 16 with 20in Kick.

Peace :D
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:45 am

ash wrote:I would agree that the 6000 series cymbal and snare stands are great, although the kick and hi-hat pedals Premier produce do need some work. From what I was told at the factory they should be addressing that problem next year.

that's why I'm only using snare and boom stands :twisted:
dim my eyes if they should compromise
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:04 am

quikstang2 wrote:I've got some vintage Premiers. I'm told they're international sized pre-1973 beech wood 4-piece. I'm in the middle of restoring and upgrading them. Too many details to list, but I'll keep everyone posted.

Bigd11, if you ever get a chance would you mind asking Premier exactly what diameter, depth and anything else about them that would be good to know?
I've asked tons of experts and emailed Premier and I haven't gotten any answers. I tried measuring them but they aren't metric or American sized.

Sounds like they are 'pre-international' which would make them pre-1967. Premier until this time, made their drums to their own 'non international' diameters - 12" = 11 7/8ths, 16" = 16 1/4" and 20" = 19 3/4". Remo still make heads that fit in coated ambassador and clear pinstripe, the labels are marled 'Premier' to distinguish them from international size heads.
Proud endorser of
HIGHWOOD DRUMS, PAISTE CYMBALS, SILVERFOX STICKS, BASKEY ACCESSORIES, DUALLIST PEDALS & HARDCASE CASES.
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:05 am

diceptikon wrote:you guys are pretty much not smart and can't help it, or from england. especially the guy who can't measure his drum dimensions. please explain to me how they are not metric or american. and then explain what underground drumhead company makes drumheads for them that aren't in inch" increments.

'Remo'.
Proud endorser of
HIGHWOOD DRUMS, PAISTE CYMBALS, SILVERFOX STICKS, BASKEY ACCESSORIES, DUALLIST PEDALS & HARDCASE CASES.
meddlejordison
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:52 am

Well I have never owned Premier drums but I have to say that they sound awesome. I mean if Keith Moon could pull them off with that great sound then they've got me!
"It isn't what I do on stage that matters it is what I didn't"
-John Bonham
mjolnir
new
new

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:28 am

Hi!! i'm from QuÃ?bec,Canada and i play Premier Vitria series.at first i was looking for pearl session or master but when i've tried the Premier kit...sale was done!!!I did not use the Premier hardware cause i prefer Pearl hardware and DW or Tama pedal. I think Premier made great drum but cheap hardware.