where do you drum shop??

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:08 am

hey guys i was just pondering, do you guys buy online or is your local drum store your piece of heaven?
what online stores do you shop from? any favourites to help us get that bit of equipment for that cheaper price.

my favourite has to be www.thomann.de. its a german based music store and it rocks for drum stuff. hardware is dead cheap and delivery is also dead cheap! but if i was buying cymbals my local drum store has the best prices. anyways post back see who shops where.

cheers kev.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
screamkevin

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:23 am

I shop at one of three stores:

Custom Guitar Center, Altoona, PA, USA

Music Emporium, Altoona, PA, USA

Dales Drum Shop, Harrisburg, PA, USA (http://www.dalesdrumshop.com) - This place is drum heaven. Click the link and check out the site. I constantly drool when I'm there. :shock:
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
pphunk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:45 am

I've been going to Uncle Bob's Music Center in Milwaukee, WI for the past 15 years. Bought my first drumset there. It's been the same guy behind the drum counter all those years too, so we've become good buddies.

I also have a musiciansfriend.com card that i pretty much only use for emergencies.
Bigd11
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:49 am

Sound Control in Birmingham England maily
Heresy! \M/
tamaman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:51 am

Wow! That "Dale's Drum Shop" surely does look great from the front page of the website SCREAMKEVIN. It's nice to see a place that has several drumkits that are not stacked up vertically. I buy some of my equipment online, some at Sam Ash store near my house. I also found a guy that sells used cymbals that are in good condition online. He is very honest and the name is cymbalcellar.com. Check it out if you don't want to pay ridiculous prices for cymbals.
NWCrusher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:52 am

I generally avoid music "stores", but if I'm forced to go to one, it's usually Guitar Center. After years of travel, and going to stores all over the country, and abroad, theres a snootiness that comes with shops. I don't want to be talked down to, or screwed around on prices. With G.C., they generally don't do that. They might be a bit snooty, but I know they are going to give me the best price, or match the lowest.

There are some exceptions, I can't name them all, but I do appreciate the good ones.
veerubio
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:52 am

I have a guitar center localy that i go to......
if i have to order parts i usually do it on musicians friend.
both R owned by the same people btw.
clatterdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:09 am

Fred Pierce Studio Drum shop in St. Louis, Mo is very cool. Fred's been at that same location for 34 years and has great prices and no BS. I also really like Fork's Drum Closet in Nashville, great prices, huge selection and friendly staff. I live in the country so will occasionally make a mail order purchase from G.C. when I can't get to the city.
wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:14 am

i started buying everything online every since i got a guitar center card.....no payments for a year is nice....also i live in a small town and the only music shop in town doesnt have anything of worth to me...mostly concert sticks,used gear and nothing but remo heads...im not really into remo so thats kind of a problem but even when i was gonna comprimise and still buy some remo heads they didnt have a 12",15"16" diplomat and they didnt even have a coated 14"...lame
stump

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:10 pm

I do almost all of my drum / music shopping on-line through Musicians Friend or American Musical. I know some people might be skeptical about this but I know what I like to play and already know what it sounds like. Another plus is that you get stuff at discounted prices. For a new drummer I would recommend going and actually listening to different sets. If I must go to a store I go see my buddies at Sims music in Cola, SC or to Atlanta Pro Percussion in Atlanta GA.
markt36264
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:27 pm

I always shopped at Atlanta Pro till I opened my own store. Steve Weiss is pretty good too for certain things.
dcoy_drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:50 pm

i shop at the "rythem base" i n glasgow. the guys that run it are fab an really helpfull.
XXDDXX
screamkevin

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:26 pm

NWCrusher wrote:I generally avoid music "stores", but if I'm forced to go to one, it's usually Guitar Center. After years of travel, and going to stores all over the country, and abroad, theres a snootiness that comes with shops. I don't want to be talked down to, or screwed around on prices. With G.C., they generally don't do that. They might be a bit snooty, but I know they are going to give me the best price, or match the lowest.

Dale's is the exception to that "snootieness" clause that seems to be in effect at some stores. One of the coolest things about Dales is that to work there, you have to be a gigging drummer. Unreal prices, wide selection, and those folks will go the extra mile for a customer. They blow Guitar Center out of the water.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:22 am

I buy stuff everywere!

~Trading with friends and relatives.
~Buying second hand drums and hardware on the internet (not cymbals).
~Buying cymbals during vacations abroad.
~Traditional shops, no particular ones.

Basically, I'm just going for the best offers whereever that may be.
ImageImageImage
Demented Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:55 am

eBay and through forums/message boards.

there`s no music stores around here worth much more than a pair of sticks.
Tama GRANSTAR in Nile Blue
PAISTE cymbals
9 pieces of percussion
8-sided Pearl ICON rack
Gilbraltar throne
AHEAD sticks