PDP CX Series

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:52 pm

I don't know if any of you have played on DW / PDP drums before, but I have to say that I will never use any other brand again! I have a PDP CX Series 6 piece kit that is just over a year old. I love the tone of the toms, the deepness of the bass drum and the crack of the snare! I'm sold for life on these drums! The kicker is that they are affordable, they sound just like the expensive DW drums and they have some great looks to boot!
Keep on Rockin' Those Drums!!!
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:57 pm

Can you say something more about this kit?
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Marcus
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:44 pm

The CX Series kit comes standard with All-maple Shells, True-Pitch® Tuning to stay in tune, F.A.S.T. Tom Sizes (fusion), STM® Pro Tom Mounts (for suspension), Black Onyx Covered Finish, Matching Bass Drum Hoops and Snare, Bass Drum Pillow and DW heads by REMO.

Here my kit layout:
6-piece kit configuration includes: 18x22" bass drum, 8x10”, 9x12”, 12x14”, 14x16” toms and 5x14” snare drum. I also have additional hardware from Gibraltar, 9 Sabian B8 Pro and 3 Wuhan cymbals, Remo Tom and Snare heads and a Aquarian SuperKick II bass drum head, Toca percussion with Ahead limited addition drum sticks and a DW 7002 Double Kick Pedal (new just added).

If you want to see the pictures of my kit go to www.myspace.com/marklanham and check them out!
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:32 pm

I have a CX series 5 piece at home with Evans hydraulic heads on the toms, evans EMAD on the bass, and aquarian hi energy on the snare. For a cheap set, that set will sing if it's tuned correctly.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
racefan33
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:58 pm

I just got an MX kit about 6 months ago. 8, 10, 12, 14 ,16 and 22 kick. I wanted the DW, but couldn't swing the price. I thought I could swing the cost of a Pearl or Tama but after I researched the web and played them all I was amazed with the quality and sound of these drums. I don't even need to use the 16 because the sound is so warm and deep.

I changed the top heads to Evans G2s and I put Evans EQ2 clear on the batter of the Kick. I also had to change the front unfortunately the bead on the Black Remo was cut small and was causing the wood hoops to roll over it.

The kit sounds soo good. To the point that on the first gig I used it on the guys in the band shot looks back with the thumbs up the first song that I hit some toms. They all noticed how good they sounded, without me telling them they were new drums. And the kit I was using before was no slouch, Pearl Professional Series DLX (what they call the Masters Birch now)

You can see them at my myspace http://www.myspace.com/gabrielthedrummer
Marcus
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:31 pm

I completely agree! I bought mine from a local 4 star drum shop. Before I wanted a DW kit also but could not bring myself to drop that much cash. One of the drum techs took a 12" CX PDP tom off of a kit. Then took a 12" DW Covered Finish Maple tom off the other and tuned them up. To the ear you could not tell the difference in tone just a little difference in the length of resonance. The PDP was about $1000 with hardware and the DW was about $2500 with no hardware. That sold it! I bought it a week later.
wolfendenstate
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:49 am

I'm another PDP convert, with a CX kit, although it took me a while to get the best tom sound out of them, when you find that sweet spot they really sing. All I really want is an 18" kick drum and then I wouldn't buy another kit, unless I had plenty of disposable income of course!
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:58 pm

all of this is realy helpful guys. ive been looking hard at a PDP set here. 3 toms, 2 floor. get a second bass. rack all that. any info about them youc an offer please send. add me even at www.myspace.com/shadow_krow
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:06 am

Marcus wrote:I don't know if any of you have played on DW / PDP drums before, but I have to say that I will never use any other brand again! I have a PDP CX Series 6 piece kit that is just over a year old. I love the tone of the toms, the deepness of the bass drum and the crack of the snare! I'm sold for life on these drums! The kicker is that they are affordable, they sound just like the expensive DW drums and they have some great looks to boot!

They are great drums. Especially for the price. In fact I prefer them to the DW Collectors series. I'm glad you are enjoying your kit.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:40 pm

I bought my son a 5 piece CX kit in Red Sparkle for Christmas... They are FANTASTIC drums for the money... heck, they are FANTASTIC drums irrespective of price!
ajppsc69
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:18 pm

I play on a PDP LX kit and your right they are an amazing kit for the money.
theman093
new
new

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:40 am

My current kit is the PDP FXR...the higher end of the Birch drums they offer...and they've been FANTASTIC for me. They sound amazing and they look better than a lot of drums that you'd pay through the nose for. The ONLY criticism that I have is that I'm a touring drummer with very little funds and after a year and a half with this kit, the hardware is starting to crap out on me and it's getting a little more difficult to find a good tone and keep it there.

Therefore, I'd say that if you're out gigging 150-200 nights a year, then you should probably save up some more money and step up to something a little stronger that'll offer some longevity.

If you're either a casual drummer or play less than like 100 shows a year...then ABSOLUTELY get yourself a PDP.

Hope this helps.
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:12 am

theman093 wrote:My current kit is the PDP FXR...the higher end of the Birch drums they offer...and they've been FANTASTIC for me. They sound amazing and they look better than a lot of drums that you'd pay through the nose for. The ONLY criticism that I have is that I'm a touring drummer with very little funds and after a year and a half with this kit, the hardware is starting to crap out on me and it's getting a little more difficult to find a good tone and keep it there.

Therefore, I'd say that if you're out gigging 150-200 nights a year, then you should probably save up some more money and step up to something a little stronger that'll offer some longevity.

If you're either a casual drummer or play less than like 100 shows a year...then ABSOLUTELY get yourself a PDP.

Hope this helps.

I geuss thats the ultimate test of a kit. The difference between a PDP and a Collectors can't be really distinguished in the shop(the same with all the makes really). I can understand why people are bemused to find a £1500+ price difference but without a great leap in sound. But give it a couple of years and 300-400 shows and then you find out. That being said I'm sure you can be lucky with a lower end kit, but the construction and craftmanship cannot really be compromised if your a pro. It's just a shame it costs so much.
Apparently a brand new Gretsch Jazz kit in the 60's was the equivalent to a whole years wages for the average working man in the UK. That would be around £20-25K today ($40-50k). My Grandfather was a club drummer and I remember him telling me that a few years back.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
SGarrett

Post Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:59 am

Steaky wrote:
theman093 wrote:My current kit is the PDP FXR...the higher end of the Birch drums they offer...and they've been FANTASTIC for me. They sound amazing and they look better than a lot of drums that you'd pay through the nose for. The ONLY criticism that I have is that I'm a touring drummer with very little funds and after a year and a half with this kit, the hardware is starting to crap out on me and it's getting a little more difficult to find a good tone and keep it there.

Hope this helps.

I geuss thats the ultimate test of a kit. The difference between a PDP and a Collectors can't be really distinguished in the shop(the same with all the makes really). I can understand why people are bemused to find a £1500+ price difference but without a great leap in sound. But give it a couple of years and 300-400 shows and then you find out. That being said I'm sure you can be lucky with a lower end kit, but the construction and craftmanship cannot really be compromised if your a pro. It's just a shame it costs so much.
Apparently a brand new Gretsch Jazz kit in the 60's was the equivalent to a whole years wages for the average working man in the UK. That would be around £20-25K today ($40-50k). My Grandfather was a club drummer and I remember him telling me that a few years back.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Makes me wonder how the internationally touring and major label signed pro's keep their PDP kits together...
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:27 pm

Ya i have 2 PDP sets i have the X7 one and my Cx series one that is about four years
old and it sounds like i just bought it. There great drums to have.