Zildjian A Custom Projection Ride

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Mcrp
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:57 am

I just got this ride, and I can't really decide if I like it or not. Sometimes I think its sounds great for some songs, but doesn't sound right for the other ones. I am thinking may be I should get another ride (thinking about Ping Ride).

Does anybody have any of these? If you do, what kind of music do you play?
Nick
new
new

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:20 am

hey man i got the same cymbal and i got the same problem

i play different things and i think it sounds great when i play in pt orchestras, or at mass, yet it doesnt seem to stand up to playing punk

im thinkin of getting a k ride or something with some power behind it and very clear ping for my heavy stuff

let me know what u think

nick
"He who makes a mistake is still our friend;
He who lengthens or shortens a melody is still our friend;
But he who violates the rhythm unawares can never be our friend."
drummersabu
new
new

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:58 pm

:shock: that shit SUCKS!!!!!

please let me introduce you with PAISTE signature 21inches HEAVY RIDE. This Rider has made my life so much happier. It's loud, Clear, powerful and its bell is sweet as fuck!

dude it cost about $350 but this is something you will not regreat and if you are not sure about this.... TRY IT yourself and by the way dont run to guitar center or sam ash looking for it because most times they dont have it. what!? well it sells out. and one more thing.... I work at a rehearsal studio with 23 rooms.... 23 rooms with riders n shit... so I know what im telling you.

stay fucking metal!!! or die Emo :twisted:
TrunJun
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:48 am

I agree with the last guy. Those cymbals rock. I was fortunate enough to get an A Custom Rock Ride, and I think its great for crash accents as well as 8th/16th note patterns. The zildjian K series megabell (20") is probably the best ride you can get at this time tho. I heartell that the Paiste Sig. Crash Ride (19") plays well. Its all about preference tho.

Hail Satan
The TrunJun
bigbobblack
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:03 am

I have a projection ride. I don't like it. It took ages to find out why too. From the drummers position it sounds like a tin lid - from out front it sounds good. Its one redeeming feature is the bell sounds big and cuts through.
I replaced it with a Paiste 2002 - which is just superb. No going back. Sorry Mr Zildjian - it doesn't do it for me.
JozakTalbot
new
new

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:35 am

Hey man! I've been playing drum since I was 3 and I've had my fair share of ride cyms. I think if you want something thats a little bit more versatile you should try the 20" K Medium Ride. Its awesome! You can ride on it and it'll sound like a dry ride. And when you crash on it, it sounds like a 19" crash.. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about! I have both the Ping ride and the Medium, and I play the Medium about 60% more than I do the Ping. I also have the Dry Ride. Try it out and let me know what you think.
Keep on Drummin'!!!
trauts_cire
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:50 pm

The Ping Ride is amazing man. I have been using it for about 7 years now. It plays soft and hard. Really sharp bell for awesome accent points. I have two band; one is punky type rock that sounds kinda like Bayside and the other a indie rock type group and also a side project which I am working on that5 is a new wave-ish reggae similar to the Police's style. It works beautiful for all three as diverse as they are. The only thing I don't use it on is jazz type stuff but only because my 22" Medium Thin ride just has a darker sound that I like for jazz.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:47 am

Mcrp wrote:I just got this ride, and I can't really decide if I like it or not. Sometimes I think its sounds great for some songs, but doesn't sound right for the other ones. I am thinking may be I should get another ride (thinking about Ping Ride).

Does anybody have any of these? If you do, what kind of music do you play?

These days my main focus seems to be on ride cymbals. I also have an A Custom. I don't know if it's a Projection ride or not because I removed the logo when I first bought it. I do find it a little limiting. But these days I am always buying ride cymbals and would have three or four ride cymbals in a set up rather than crash cymbals. Maybe a 14 or 15" crash. I like a ride that sounds great when crashed. One would certainly have rivets. My latest purchase was a 22" K Constantinople. It's gorgeous!
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Will
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:16 pm

It took me a while to get used to my 21" Projection but now I love it.

Despite what others say, I reckon it's actually a very versatile ride.

It just depends what YOU are looking for in the sound of it, and also no Zildjian sounds the same so make sure you try a few before you buy next time :)
Copelandesque
new
new

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:03 am

Got one Myself, I swapped it for my old 20" Z Cust ride...I found the z a bit too heavy and lacking tone for the lighter music im now playing. took me a while to get used to it.. but i love it now. A bit of wash never hurt anybody, would love a K Cust ride though. my kit would be complete with one of those!!
RRLL RRLL RLRR LRLL LRRLR RLLRL LLLR LLL
RRR LLRL LLLLR LLLLLLLRRRRRRR LLRR.
lowdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:44 pm

I have had a 20 inch for the past 4 years, I like it but it has alot ov overtones. i want a K or a Paragon though.
Tama Starclassic Bubinga kit #1
Tama Starclassic Birch kit #2
DW snare
DW 9000 double pedal
DW 9000 series hardware
Zildjian A and Z custom Cymbals
Chazdrums
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:53 pm

I have an A Custom 22' Ride. Its perfect for everything. The only other ride I have ever heard that is anything close was a Paiste that a friend had. It was really old and just cut through everything. But since I cant get an old Paiste I use the regular A Custom 22'. I like the Projection Crashes but for Rides stick with just the A Customs.
"Almost everything I've done, I've done through my own creativity. I don't think I ever had to listen to anyone else to learn how to play drums. I wish I could say that for about ten thousand other drummers."

-----Buddy Rich
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:33 pm

I have a 20" A Custom medium ride and I love it! I think it's very versatile. Having said that, I have a 20" K Custom Dry Light Ride which I love for jazz!
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:36 am

I play a 20' Paiste Signature Dry Heavy Ride now but when I played Zildjian I used a 20' Ping Ride and I really liked it.

Right now I am lusting after getting a 2002 Heavy Ride..I think that's the one for me.

http://www.paiste.com/products/cymbals/ ... ide_lg.jpg
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
Rockaflodge
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:27 pm

I have a 20in A custom projection ride and I love, it clean and cuts though the music but I play it like a crash sometimes. But if you cant make your mind up, take it back. Cymbals are as deffrent as we are, no two of us like the same thing in cymbal.
I Play Hard! I play Loud! I play Pearl!