Things you love at gigs

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

woody476
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:50 pm

I love seeing skanking in the pit (Im in ska bands), people singing along, and anything showing that people are into your songs.

One of the coolest things was when my band The Pants went on first at a show called Skatoberfest and as we filed onstage the crowd started cheering. That got me so psyched, my cymbal completely fell off the stand and I didn't care because the people were going crazy.
God Bless
Bebopdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:44 pm

When my 1983 Pearl kit sounds awesome without using mics.
Michael "Lick" Pollock
So Is The Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:33 am

achieveing pefection. evoking feeling. giving people something they've never heard before. being so focused that the stage, the audience, the venue, and sometimes even my bandmates disappear and its just me and my drums. standing up for something and making a statement through the music. being inspired and learning from other drummers. showing appreciation and gratitude to fans. making an impact on people.

justin
"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell." www.soisthetongue.com
BR523
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:34 pm

Having a killer snare sound. Alot of times it depends on the room and PA, not just your snare.
Looking out into a packed venue
Looking out into a not-so-packed venue, but finding that one person who is really into the music and is checking out your drumming the whole show
Playing drunk (it's not neccesary, but fun once in a while)
Dropping a stick but somehow able to make a flawless stick change without missing a note or having anyone notice (can't be done with the line above, haha)
When a drummer from another band on the bill, who you feel is way better than you, compliments you on your playing
Not having a care in the world when sitting behind your kit
Doing a fill you've never done before and having a true moment of creative spotinuity (whenever this happens, my bass player always looks over to me and smiles)
Being able to do the one thing that makes you most happy in life (for me at least, probably for alot of you on here as well)

And one of my personal favorite moments, during a freestyle jam in one of the songs, a friend came up to me with a jager bomb. I threw it back while keeping the beat with one hand, and finished it just in time to finish off the measure with a fill. Crowd went absolutely crazy.
Pearl Export
Gretsch Maple Free Floating Snare
Zildjian A
Sabian AAX and Paragon
Pearl Power Shifter Eliminator Single Pedal
Evans heads
VicFirth 5An

www.myspace.com/theabsolutezeros
drumsforlife
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:12 pm

My favorite thing is kickass bar owners that still pay you, give you free beer, and still let you play even though only four people show up.

Oh yea. And boobies.

I'm part of the brotherhood of like-minded individuals who like to bang on things.
LeJayk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:22 pm

Recently played a birthday party gig for my mates 18th. It was a real feel good gig, even our singer wasn't bothered about "performance". Of course, we all played best we could, despite being a bit drunk. We all played our parts, had a laugh with the crowd, had a laugh on stage.

Just the sheer lack of pressure that night and being able to play to people with your friends and still have them enjoy the show was the best feeling ever.

The 2nd best feeling... Having familiar faces turn up to every gig, even if they're of no relation to band, watching them rock out, and even requesting us to play a song.

And then of course, playing the best show you've ever played, being all sweaty and horrible looking after coming off stage, and still being able to chat up girls, and score phone numbers. It really tops the cake.

I should get the "Just Drummed My Ass Off For 40 Minutes" look every time I leave the house :lol:
imjeffcanudigit
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:49 pm

well i'm excited that my band is going to start playing shows soon but with my old band i loved when there was a big crowd, and when everything is at the right volume.
DRummer BOy Jeff
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:53 pm

1) audience enthusiasm
2) good sound personnel/bar personnel
3) getting paid/bar tab
4) meeting other bands
rundylanrunn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:58 pm

hanging out with the other drummers, setting up, talking about our stuff and whatnot is always my favorite thing.

seeing kids killing each other to our music is always cool, and it's always cool to find that one younger kid who is watching your sticks intently and tapping on his legs/air drumming. i'll dodge the 13 year old girls, but i always make sure to go and talk to THAT kid.

i've also had a couple of really cool talks with older drummers after our set, who told me that they had a very biased opinion of me based on the way my drums were set up, but after seeing me play, they said i really do fit the music. that's a really good feeling, approval from an older drummer. that same feeling is the reason i always try and talk to younger drummers if we're playing a show with a local band or something while we're on tour.
<a href="http://www.myspace.com/weare37">Add my band!</a>
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master
Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:14 pm

1. people moshing to your songs in all shapes and forms.

2. people singing along to your songs.

3. the live intensity playing and feeling that comes along with it.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:29 pm

Well, more recently I love when you meet the band that you're opening for, who've been your heroes since you were 11. My bands last two shows were with Porcupine Tree and Blind Melon.

But also, I love the second the first song starts and you're all pumped and a tad nervous, but then 30 seconds in you feel like it's what you were born to do.
I love walking by groups of people afterwards, and overhearing them talk about your performance.
Beat on.
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:29 pm

Timekeep69 wrote:boobs being flashed

Hell ya
Jimbob2020
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:35 pm

I like it all...
DW Collector's
Ludwig Classic Maple
Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau
Meinl Byzance, Zildjian A Custom, Zildjian Platinum Cymbals
DW 5k & 9k Hardware
Evans and Remo Heads
Vic Firth
mmmmdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:08 am

I love just playing gigs really

I love to see people get into the music (dancing, bobbing their heads)

I love to see people having a good time while I am playing

I love it when people appreciate my art form

and I love it when people take the time to tell me things that they liked after the show
Check out my new tunes!

myspace.com/anjillapiazza

Ludwig classic maple drums
Supraphonic Snare
Regal Tip and Vic Firth Sticks
I proudly endorse Soultone Handmade Turkish cymbals