What was your very first band?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:58 pm

my first band (2005) was a hardcore/punk rock band i guess u could say....didnt like it too well cuz not my type of music....we did used to play sugar! from system of a down as a warm-up to piss off our rhythm guitarist hahaha it was funny we were assholes to him!!!! hahaha but yea we had 5 orignial songs n never performed covers shit i think the songs were....1)another dimension of worlds 2) o presicous blade 3)st. valentines day massacre 4)the immigrant song and 5)the breakdown....yea good songs niggas....
lets drum fast and sexy :]
ViciousCircle5
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:26 pm

1st band: Punchinello
8th grade
wrote two original hardcore songs...
Played mainly Deftones covers off of "Adrenaline" and "Around The Fur"..
Also did covers of...
Silverchair, Judas Priest, The Police, Soulfly, Cold, Bush, Weezer, etc.

haha. Garage days were great days.
RADAR1112
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:40 pm

Our big original was called "Hollywood nights", (nothing like the Segar song...lol) Picture this, four 15 year old farm kids from Ohio, singing about the Hollywood night life...lol We were retards...lol 8)
Bebopdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:14 pm

The first band I was in was named The Fanatics...lol....1965.....
We loved The Animals, Beatles, Stones, Young Rascals, etc. me and my bassist were together for 12 years. We had this thing where he would dampen his note a millisecond before I hit the backbeat on my snare. We had a great groove......miss playing with him.
Michael "Lick" Pollock
ceroweb
new
new

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:25 pm

It was in 2004, we called Espectro. We play like 2 months, but the vocal never been totally involved.
Sonrie, viviras m÷s
cesarjosecatalan
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:43 pm

I have a recording, sometime I will post it, In generall terms I SUCK! jaja.

But well, It was my very first time with drums, I remember we tryed a version of "Bomb Truck",, with time sounded decent.jaja.
Cesar J. Catalán.-Argentina.
Jay Brearley
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:56 pm

1996 - Drighlington Junior Brass Band, we were then one of the top Junior Brass Bands in the UK! (Not good for pulling the chicks but you just say your a drummer, dont name the band lol!)
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:59 pm

I always come up with the name for my band
My 1st was called "Could Be Worse"
And it could
But just barely
We had two tone deaf guitarists (seriously)
We attempted the usual rock covers
I had to sing because no one else could
I think I did a great job with the Rush covers
You say irritant, I say catalyst
hovis21
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:14 pm

Probably doesn't qualify but...

Despite not being able to keep a steady 4:4 beat for more than about 30secs I've been on stage twice as part of The Dog's Bollocks. Way back in 96.

We wrote one song, something about 'socks'...can't remember the title right now but it'll come back to me one day. We came on as encore after our guitarist Marcelo's main band did their set...once at the only bar on the campus of UC Irvine and then again in a bar somewhere in Newport Beach.

We rocked the house! At the second gig we branched out and did a cover version of Zeppelin's Immigrant Song.

It wasn't pretty but i wish someone had a video of it!!
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:24 pm

i was a jazz and funk kind of guy, but no-one ever felt like playing that stuff. i started my first band in 2001 with two of my friends. the only competent players were myself (drums) and my steve (bass).
we played a few gigs and fiddled around with Nirvana, The Pixies, The Melvins, and Dinosaur Jr. we were called Deadtropolis
eventually we dropped dean got a new guitarist, logan.
the three of us been together since then, with two additions and several name changes. since late 2005 we are Flux. so technically my first band is my current band.
Beat on.
MrBojengles
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:38 pm

lol i was in a band called "A lacerated society" i made the song names up.. we called our songs cheeze-its whitch we played what ever the fuck we wanted :) and baby bumbers which was thrash shit punk with hawiian war like beats :).

good times, goood times.
hey. :)
funkengrooven
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:30 am

The first band I was in was called "Blue Steel", which we changed to "Cherokee" after a couple of years. We started in 1990 and kept going until 1994. I was 13 (grade 8, I think), and the other guys were in the year above me.
We played a good mix of stuff - Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pink FLoyd, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Metallica, you name it. By the end, we had a repertoire of about 50-odd covers and 5 originals. As a band we worked hard and had high standards - we were playing "Higher Ground", "My Lovely Man", Knock Me Down" by the Chili Peppers - among others.
We entered 4 band competitions. We placed third in one, second in another and won the other two! We also had a few pub gigs and private parties under our belts by the time I left school.
Yamaha drums :: Meinl cymbals :: Pro-Mark drumsticks :: Aquarian heads

http://www.myspace.com/funkengrooven
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:51 am

My first band was called Shattered Glass. My dad introduced me to two of his friends Ron and Jon when I was about 11. Ron was turning 21 and Jon turning 31. This was about 13 years ago or so now.
We played originals which Jon wrote. Some of you punk rock fans may know him by the name Jonny Waste of pioneer NYHC band URBAN WASTE.

Well let's just say, Urban Waste was 100 times tighter, better sounding, and more interesting than Shattered Glass (whom my friends renamed Shattered Ass). I met up with them again a year or two ago and we recorded two of the old songs in a studio one afternoon. I think they're on myspace or something but.....don't check it out.

It was good experience getting to play in bars with other bands when you're that age. It always sucked that we couldn't get our friends in though...
Robin Graves
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:11 am

my first band was called roofie and the date rapers (no joke!) when i lived in ann arbor, MI. i was the rhythm guitar player though. we actually played alot of shows. it was pure punk rock, baby!
the first band that i played drums in was called the finishing school. that was when i lived in New Orleans. we played garage rock.
myspace.com/originalguaco
phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:04 am

HA i remember my 1st band , it was lame , it wasnt even a band it was more like 4 kids in a room making as much noise as they could for hours on end , but it was called Kill Jimmy, haha, it was alot of fun tho , but we never wrote a full song and never gigged, we did some poor covers too , just nirvana type stuff.
Pearl Hardware. Zildjian Cymbals. Vic Firth 7A Sticks. Remo Pintripes/Weatherking Heads