Metal hi hats

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Mcrp
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:54 am

I have decided on purchasing new hi-hats.

For a while now I just used Zildjian A New Beats. They are nice but they are kind of bland I guess.

The music I play is fast metal/grind. I want something heavy but the hats need to be fast too, not gongy. I am looking into Z Custom Dyno Beats, 13". Anyone have any suggestions here
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:06 am

Personally I don't like Z Custom. Have you thought about some 13" AAX hats?
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:17 am

Try Paiste Signature 13 Heavy Hats. Expensive but really fast and definitely not gongy. You can listen to a sound sample on http://www.paiste.com
dim my eyes if they should compromise
AMTJake
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:52 pm

I'm more familiar with sabian than anything else...I use 14"HHX and they work well for what I do, but if you're looking for a little more crispness try the AAX like QBS just said or the AA-MetalX or the AA series. Try looking into Paiste as well.

Better yet goto a drum shop and try out every single hihat you can until you find something you want, they will work with you to find whats best because they work on commission.
stevo
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:43 am

ive played my friends 13" Z dyno beat top with 13" paiste rude sound edge bottom. its really heavy, not good if u were gonna play something fast and light on the hats, awesome for metal though. i figure the dyno beats are probly even more heavier than that
hey whats up guys im doug.....FUCK!!!!!
millsybaby
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:06 am

I use the 14" Rude Sound Edge and some now discontinued 15" Signature Power Hi-Hats - the sigs are the ultimate metal hi-hats! They still make the 14" so check them out. Their a tad pricey, but you'll never need another pair for metal stuff.
JimmiRock
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:14 am

Qbs wrote:Personally I don't like Z Custom.

me too...Z's are lame BUT for metal they do kick ass!!
May i be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows i'm dead.
ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:40 pm

Z customs get old but for studio use and heavyness i use the bottom of a AAX metal hat on top and a B8 pro on bottom both bottom hats and on X-hat system use the top AAX metal hat and a B8 pro on bottom i get a nice heavy "Chick" on my mains and nice" thrashy trashy chick"sound on my Right,but every now and then i pull out my K Dark hats,but iam a very on orthadoics player
MAPEX DRUMS/Tama Drums/PEARL HARDWARE

EVANS/ATTACK DRUM HEADS

ALESIS,DDRUM,

ZILDJIAN/ISTANBUL CYMBALS

VATER PERCUSSION
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:04 am

For a raw, defined (metal) sound, I'd say Paiste Rude hats.

But I would stongly advice you to stick to your New Beat hi-hats, as I am pretty sure you're going to get bored with the Rude sound after a while... :wink:

I know, because I thought Rude hats were "metal!", whitch is correct enough, but they doesn't perform very much, besides this I think. I play... New Beat's of course! Great for all kinds of music, also hard rock/metal.

A very good alternative to the Paiste rude hats, would be the Istanbul TÃ¥rk series. Very raw and defined sound, and perfect for metal.

ImageImageImage
sspercussion
new
new

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:04 pm

Alchemy Professional Power Hats are a great chioce as well. I've been using the 14" version off and on for a while now. I also tend to like the Alchemy Mixed hats. 13" for metal? Most that I know of use 14" and 15". If you have the room, you might want to increase the diameter an inch.
The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:00 pm

In years of talking to various drummers I've learned that everyone has a differnet way of describing cymbals. What I consider bright and clean you may consider too "chicky". There's no replacing just going to the store and hitting them. I recently got to hit some paiste signature dark energy 15's and they were sweet!
http://www.myspace.com/thealiendrummer

Starclassic Birch -- Mapex Pro- M Rock -- Ludwig Rocker -- Roland SPD-S -- Pearl ICON Rack -- Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Saluda & Wuhon Cymbals -- Yamaha PTX8
dannydrumperc
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:33 am

sspercussion wrote:Alchemy Professional Power Hats are a great chioce as well. I've been using the 14" version off and on for a while now. I also tend to like the Alchemy Mixed hats. 13" for metal? Most that I know of use 14" and 15". If you have the room, you might want to increase the diameter an inch.

I know a guy who swears by his Alchemy cymbals and he plays quite heavy stuff.

I tried once an old pair of 13" Z Customs (hex hammer marks) that sounded very nice and full bodied - even with a small crack on the top cymbal.

If you want fast and not too washy hats then I would suggest Zildjian Quick Beats or Sabian Fusion hats. Both feature cup-less bottom cymbals with holes (1/4" dia. aprox.) for preventing airlock. Personally, I have more experience (college band) with the QB and think they would great on a metal setting. A friend of mine had the Sabians. I think his pair was from the HH series, but sabian repeats models among their serieses, so there should be a AA Fusion Hats.
druminzeetobaccofade
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:27 pm

I went to a guitar center where they'll let you mix match any hi hats together.

I came up with a combination of a Zildjian Quick beat bottom hat
with a Rock beat top hat... Real chicky and loud with quick cut off if needed, I spent about two hours with different combinations of hats, mixing different manufacturers etc, trying to get the best sound, and found this combo to be the best for me...

If you haven't picked up your hats yet, definately take a trip to Guitar Center and check out some hats...

Have a good one 8)
I'm in a metal band out of Oklahoma, stop by if your interrested in checking it out..

www.myspace.com/against72

Noble & Cooley (www.noblecooley.com)

Trick pedals (www.trickdrums.com)