Z custom cymbals

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

flamdrag99
new
new

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:50 am

Z customs are loud for a reason! and that reason is because they were designed for loud music that is why they are so thick. it is to take a beating and still be in on peice so to speak. different cyms have different purposes. Z Customs are for more heavy music where you have a lot of heavy hitting. i use A customs cause i play a lot of different music so i want somthing that i can use for my drum set and i can also use for orchestral/concert work.
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:04 am

would u guys suggest moving from Z customs to A customs in a genre of deathmetal/grindcore/hardcore?

ive played z customs for over 4 years and have lost count of how many ive broken. do u think the A customs will last longer but still sound good with the music im playing?
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:52 am

theyre too thick. they sound ok for just heavy music. but theyre not versitale ande not dy\namic. all in all, not good cymbals unless you play strictly on style of music. going with the k or a customs will enable you to play in a wide dynamic range without changiong your cymbals. i have 1 !8" z custom crash left on my set and im tryion to get it off there for an a custom asap
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
Reaper33X
beginner
beginner

Post Thu May 10, 2007 4:38 pm

I had a 16" Z Custom rock crash and I ditched it after a week because it drowned out the rest of my kit. I found myself purposely avoiding it and using my other crash, which sometimes screwed up my playing.

I exchanged it for a 16" A Custom crash, and couldn't be happier.
I'm looking to get a 17" A custom crash to replace my other crash, and a 20" A custom crash to use as a crash ride.
All the gear, no idea
drummernick
beginner
beginner

Post Thu May 24, 2007 5:23 am

z's are very loud if you ask me :twisted:
hmmm, I love to bang things...
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Sun May 27, 2007 10:58 am

most of all my cymbals are z-custom there the best cymbal i have ever played!!!!!1 :wink:
ashby
beginner
beginner

Post Wed May 30, 2007 2:39 am

iatemygoat wrote:would u guys suggest moving from Z customs to A customs in a genre of deathmetal/grindcore/hardcore?

ive played z customs for over 4 years and have lost count of how many ive broken. do u think the A customs will last longer but still sound good with the music im playing?

i made the switch whilst doing similar music and A customs worked a lot better for me. that being said, it's all about meinl mb20s if you want a cymbal similar to z custom but 100 times better and more durable.
Abuses Meinl cymbals, Pearl drums, DW Pedals, Roland and Pintech Electronics and Vic Firth.
OzThrasher
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:06 am

Just picked up my 22" Z custom Power ride yesterday. The second I hit it in the store I knew it was the ride for me.

14" K series Hi hats
12" Z custom Splash
17" Z Custom Rock Crash
18" Z Custom Medium Crash
18" Z Custom China
and now
22" Z Custom Power Ride

They're not everyone's cup of tea. And just for the record, I'm not a poser who just likes to have the same stuff. I've tried lots of cymbals before buying. Just for some reason my ears always go for the Z's :)
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:14 pm

A custom cost more money because of the process of how they are made
goatatl
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:31 am

For the type of player I am (basher) the Z Customs are perfect! I use them almost exclusively. The projection crashes though, are a little heavy, even for me.
JackDrums
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:59 am

I get the impression that the 21" Z custom Mega Bell Ride is'nt like for some reason?

I think its a good cymbal, it is to an extent quite versatile..you could play rock/metal/hardcore quite easily, but its not a ride that crashes easily or has a nice crash sound. but yet it is still a excellent cymbal, and I dont see that thing breaking anytime soon, ist like a cm thick! and its like a ton! lol

Why are people not so keen on this ride?
Pearl Drums
Zildjian Cymbals
Evans Heads
Iron Cobra Pedals
Tama Maple Snare
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:49 am

JackDrums wrote:I get the impression that the 21" Z custom Mega Bell Ride is'nt like for some reason?

I think its a good cymbal, it is to an extent quite versatile..you could play rock/metal/hardcore quite easily, but its not a ride that crashes easily or has a nice crash sound. but yet it is still a excellent cymbal, and I dont see that thing breaking anytime soon, ist like a cm thick! and its like a ton! lol

Why are people not so keen on this ride?

line up a z custom mega bell ride and an hh power bell ride...both have huge bells, a very defined ping with little wash, and dont crash in the least. the difference is that the hh has a much better tone to it and is fuller. the z custom has the sound of an empty shell, its just a ping with no substance or body to it.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:49 am

if you wana get z customs dont plan on being dymnamic or versatile. theyre only good for one thing, hitting hard and being loud. and i suggest any drummer reguardless of style work on dynamics. be able to do cymbal swells. i dont think you should have cymbals on your kit that sound bad when you hit them soft. in my oppinion these cymbals are useless for any genre. there are other cymbals out there that will cut through the mix, and you can accualy use them to play stuff that isnt heavy
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
JackDrums
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:55 pm

I do agree, but I have a Mega Bell Ride and it seems to fit in perfectly with most things I play...
I mean I like to play metal, I love my Pantera and my Meshuggah etc etc...but I like also to play funky/hip hop stuff aswell, and this cymbal does not seem drastically out of place with my other cymbals, and these vary from A customs, A's and Sabian AAX's

I beleive that this ride is not the best one out there but it is still a good ride and it does what its suppose to and thats ride and it is called a mega bell ride for a reason and it has got a mega bell!
Pearl Drums
Zildjian Cymbals
Evans Heads
Iron Cobra Pedals
Tama Maple Snare
goatatl
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:58 pm

iatemygoat wrote:would u guys suggest moving from Z customs to A customs in a genre of deathmetal/grindcore/hardcore?

I would agree that A customs are more versatile, but in my experience, not as durable.