Z custom cymbals

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Rockaflodge
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:16 am

The Z customs saved my life, I will say I perfer the sound of the A custom but i will break them with in 6 month and with the Zs i can get two years.
I Play Hard! I play Loud! I play Pearl!
markt36264
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:57 am

I have played all the Zildjians and here is what I have found.

I started with A's. The sound is very traditional and acceptable. They break pretty easy over time but tend to hold up better than K's.

Next I tried K's. I love the sound but I have broke every one I owned. Not worth the extra dough when you have to replace them so often.

Next I bought A Customs. None of them have cracked. They give and flex a little more and they sound good but too light for some applications. I only used the older standard weight, not the newer projection series. I have found it is easy to over-play them, not enough headroom. If you are not a heavy hitter, these might be a good choice.

Lastly, I got a set of Z Customs. These are the most durable. No cracks in five years. You have to hit them pretty hard to get a full crash but they're not as loud in the mix as most people think. The most important thing I can say about these, is that I actually started getting compliments from drummers as to how good they sounded. With all the other lines, they sounded good but no one ever came up and was like "WOW, What kind of cymbals are you using? They sound killer! ...etc."
pooJken
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:05 pm

I used to have Avedis crashes (17" and 18") but i broke the 18"
so i bought Z Custom crashes...

but now i want to go back to the Avedis ones... I loved them

The Z Customs are way to loud and way to heavy

though I use a customized set of A Custom / Z Custom combination HiHats (i have the bottom a custum on top of a Z custom dyno beat hihat) and they sound pretty cool.

Further I own a Z Custom 10" splash cymbal, wich is nice too
frankiedrum
new
new

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:41 pm

i've used nothing but Zildjian cymbals in my 15yrs + of playing out and about...my opinion and experience on Z customs is: they are very good cymbals..they're loud, the attack is impeccable and they cut through the sound of when youre out playing...but due to the fact that its a single cast mold when Zildjian is making the Z custom...i consider them like panty hose, once you get that little crack running *and they don't normally crack along the rings or at the edge like most Zildjian cymbals do*...its just a chain reaction of more cracks to come and they tend to deteriorate more quickly the more or harder you hit...now...the A custom cymbals, a pretty penny more but well worth it b/c of the numerous models and sizes...yet the sound is not so protrussive like a Z, yet they are clean, crisp and warmer in sound the bigger the cymbal gets. you can even go BIG as far as 20'' and get the sound you want without having to "BALLS OUT"...* i tend to favor the PROJECTION model in the A CUSTOM* MOST IMPORTANTLY: its ALL about cymbal placement and how you attack your cymbals....so to me...the A custom is the better route!! *DID I GO OFF ON A TANGENT!!! ???*
Rockaflodge
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:27 pm

I just want to know if I am the only one That breaks A customs and my Z custom last a year and a half to two years, everybody eles seems to break the Z custom and never break the A customs. My last set of A customs (16,18,19,20 crashs) I broke them in like 6 months. So I was just wondering if I was the only one who breaks A customs but my Z custom last.
SaulEdbeats
new
new

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:10 pm

I use Z Custom cymbals when I want pingy or crisp sounds like the 20" Ride and the 14" MasterSound Hi Hats. For everything else I use A Custom crashes and splashes. As far as cracking... I haven't had any problems with the Z Customs, these are the heaviest cymbals I own and probably the most durable. Also, most places have a 30 day exchange policy for cymbals so don't be afraid of buying a cymbal and trying it out. I've exchanged cymbals several times before finding that right sound.
pooJken
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:21 pm

Rockaflodge wrote:I just want to know if I am the only one That breaks A customs and my Z custom last a year and a half to two years, everybody eles seems to break the Z custom and never break the A customs. My last set of A customs (16,18,19,20 crashs) I broke them in like 6 months. So I was just wondering if I was the only one who breaks A customs but my Z custom last.

breaking cymbals can be caused by a lot of influenced
hitting to hard, wron mounting, mount the cymbal to tight
of you mount any cymbal wrong and to tight you break it

you can also play with the wrong sticks,
with AHEAD sticks you break cymbals easier, here in holland the warranty of cymbal is gone of you play with AHEAD sticks

so it can be caused by many things

I broke my 18" Crashes because the bottom of the cymbal holder smashed against the border of the cup (it were Aveids cymbals)

cheers
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:15 pm

i played a bunch of z custom crashes and every one i played, even if i smashed it, sounded horrible imo. they all sounded gongy and were nothing but loud. for more versatile zildjians pick up the a customs as they have a better range and dont have to be pounded to get a good sound.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
Rockaflodge
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:04 pm

[quote="pooJken"][quote="Rockaflodge"]I just want to know if I am the only one That breaks A customs and my Z custom last a year and a half to two years, everybody eles seems to break the Z custom and never break the A customs. My last set of A customs (16,18,19,20 crashs) I broke them in like 6 months. So I was just wondering if I was the only one who breaks A customs but my Z custom last.[/quote]

breaking cymbals can be caused by a lot of influenced
hitting to hard, wron mounting, mount the cymbal to tight
of you mount any cymbal wrong and to tight you break it

you can also play with the wrong sticks,
with AHEAD sticks you break cymbals easier, here in holland the warranty of cymbal is gone of you play with AHEAD sticks

so it can be caused by many things

I broke my 18" Crashes because the bottom of the cymbal holder smashed against the border of the cup (it were Aveids cymbals)

cheers[/quote]

No, what I ment was. my Z customs last up to two years, I am happy with that, they last longer than any other cymbal I have had. but everybody eles talks about A customs lasting longer than Z customs and I just cant see it! I broke a whole set of A custom crashs in 6 months( Thank God for the warranty) and I got all Z customs and they lasted two years befor they broke, so I dont understand how you cand break a Z custom faster than you can break a A custom!
dammow
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:47 am

Rockaflodge wrote:I just want to know if I am the only one That breaks A customs and my Z custom last a year and a half to two years, everybody eles seems to break the Z custom and never break the A customs. My last set of A customs (16,18,19,20 crashs) I broke them in like 6 months. So I was just wondering if I was the only one who breaks A customs but my Z custom last.

ive broken a few A CUSTOM cymbals- i found they break real easy and now just use the traditional A zildjian and i think there alot better, never tried any Z CUSTOMS but would like to. TAYLOR HAWKINS used to use them and i thought they always sounded good with him. i guess everybody plays slightly different so its really personal taste!
pooJken
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:17 am

Rockaflod wrote:No, what I ment was. my Z customs last up to two years, I am happy with that, they last longer than any other cymbal I have had. but everybody eles talks about A customs lasting longer than Z customs and I just cant see it! I broke a whole set of A custom crashs in 6 months( Thank God for the warranty) and I got all Z customs and they lasted two years befor they broke, so I dont understand how you cand break a Z custom faster than you can break a A custom!

I understand, and I said that it has to do how you mount the cymbals
Rockaflodge
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:37 pm

But if it was the way I mounted them, how come the Z customs last, I mounted them the same way as the A customs.
pooJken
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:33 am

Rockaflodge wrote:But if it was the way I mounted them, how come the Z customs last, I mounted them the same way as the A customs.

i'm talking in general, not only your case
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:36 pm

I own a z-custom thrash ride and it is very powerful and loud but the A customs cost more beacuse it cost a lot to make them
Sanady361
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:52 pm

I'm a fan of the K series too...

But itf I ever buy another crash it'll be A Series, just for the pure durability.