Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Mcrp
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:40 am

are these really loud ???
Are they the best or ...

im also wondering why A customs are the most money...
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:02 am

To answer your question on A customs:

They cost so much due to the manufacturing process, and because they are a desireable cymbal. I personally prefer the A custom sound over the Z custom any day, but there are some good Z Customs out there.

In fact, I really like the Z Custom 14" rock hi-hats. Very nit-gritty. It's like listening to a Pantera album.
Vetis
woody476
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:40 am

Z Customs are very loud. My brother once had a 19 projection crash and cracked it, I used it as a practice ride and it still had immense volume for being cracked in several spots around the bell

The only thing I don't like about them is that they seem to crack very easily and around the bell usually. Otherwise, a very good cymbal in my opinion
God Bless
disrupt13
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:19 am

z custom are know to crack easily, they are good but they crack easily, a customs are just awesosem ,but check out the K's too.
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:33 am

disrupt13 wrote:z custom are know to crack easily, they are good but they crack easily, a customs are just awesosem ,but check out the K's too.

*What-he-said* 8)
ImageImageImage
Tank
new
new

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:20 pm

i own a 20" Z custom projection crash. it is loud and i have not cracked it yet (knock on wood). they are very heavy cymbals, you have to really pound on it to get a crash sound out of it. i use mine as a crash /ride. they aren't any good for dynamics.
drum_bum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:25 pm

iv got 3 z customs.
20" Z rock ride
18"Z rock crash
16"Z rock crash

been playin 'em for year and a half and i can tell you there as loud as you like.i personally play hard,not fast and havnt split yet.

personally i find the ride doesnt have real defining ping but still sounds awsome.the crashes are just plain loud,but the 16" tends to 'lose' sound if you you play it continuously..

anyway,thats my 'analysis' on the Z's.love 'em.only other ones id really use would be paiste or try the istanbuls..
Mapex M Birch kit
Zildjian cymbals
Evans G2 heads
Pro Mark sticks with vatar grip tape
DW double kick
disrupt13
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:32 pm

"heavier" or thicker cymbals tned to crack easier, for god knows what reason perhaps because you tend to work them harder, while thinner cymbals have less resistance or flex........
Tank
new
new

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:55 pm

disrupt13 wrote:"heavier" or thicker cymbals tned to crack easier, for god knows what reason perhaps because you tend to work them harder, while thinner cymbals have less resistance or flex........

maybe but i just replaced my 18" a custom projection crash that i had for 10 months due to a large piece missing and about 6 cracks. i had a 20" a custom ping ride that i used as a crash/ride for 10 years before it cracked and replaced with a 20" z custom projection crash.
tnkace
new
new

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:53 pm

there's a reason the cymbals break easier....the heavier the cymbal the stiffer it is...so it doesn't have much give or flex...it breaks....a somewhat thinner cymbal has more flex and won't break as easy
Capeside Alex
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:11 pm

I LOVE Z Customs! I have an 18" Z Custom Projection, and a 20" Projection, and they sound great for what I play!
Music is life...
...Life is Music.

CAPESIDE
ilike2rock
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:42 am

z's are a low end cast cymbol thats why theyre cheaper than A's
acustically theyre not the most pleaseing things but live nothing cuts threw the mix better.
stump

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:37 am

I have been playing Z customs for along time and have not had a problem. I am a heavy hitter and have no complaints. One thing that I would recommend is that you look at the type of sticks that you are using. Think about it this way...would you rather replace a $200 cymbal or a $4 stick? Think about it! Use a stick that is compatible with the set / cymbals that you are playing. I bet that you will see a difference. These cymbals are cutting. They don't take alot of pounding to get the point across. Later.
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:09 pm

I have a 17" medium crash, and i've had it for a couple years. I beat the hell out of that thing. I play in a grindcore band, and that cymbal has never failed me. It's loud, bright, and hasn't cracked yet. I love it.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:38 pm

yes they crack like bitch,I'm on my 2nd broken 1 going on my 3rd because its under warrenty and its been less then a year,but i have ZERO probs with my mega bell ride i love it its the sound i was looking for for along time tell you what when you buy cymabls D.I.R.T.F.T.,but i also know everyone has there preffrence on cymabls :shock:
MAPEX DRUMS/Tama Drums/PEARL HARDWARE

EVANS/ATTACK DRUM HEADS

ALESIS,DDRUM,

ZILDJIAN/ISTANBUL CYMBALS

VATER PERCUSSION