What stool do you use?!

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Bigd11
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:35 am

Bit of an odd question i know, but when it came to buying my new kit i thought i deserved something nice to sit on, (if u saw the state of thing id been sitting on for the past 8 years youd understand why) so i went for the Pearl roadster with a shock absorber, fookin beautiful!
Heresy! \M/
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:40 am

I'm using Mapex T560 round throne. Steady, really comfortable, not to soft.
dim my eyes if they should compromise
m
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:38 pm

Roc-n-Soc Nitro w/ backrest.

dumbest name yet.

But I refuse to have to screw/spin another throne around in circles, sit on it, get off, spin some more, sit, get up, spin...
no more I say!

the Nitro keeps me comfortable, and SANE!

Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:33 pm

I've got two but need a new one. I'll probably get a Pearl with a backrest.

Oh, the stools I have are TAMA and Ludwig.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:12 pm

I'm having a new one built by my friends at Bigfoot, it's a quad leg double braced base that I acquired from a drum store in Birmingham (UK) a few years back with a customised Rocnsoc seat in black leather.

Currently using an 80's Premier Trilok, looks a bit flimsy compared with today's monsters, but since it's made from top quality Sheffield Steel (RIP) as opposed to the low grade FEPOS 'metal' prevalant these days, it'll out live me and probably a lot of my younger compadres!
Proud endorser of
HIGHWOOD DRUMS, PAISTE CYMBALS, SILVERFOX STICKS, BASKEY ACCESSORIES, DUALLIST PEDALS & HARDCASE CASES.
Lee Kelley
new
new

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:24 pm

I am using a Gibralter Short Throne stand with a Roc-N-Soc saddle seat on both my sets.

I sit kinda low for a guy who is 6 foot 1.
Keep groovin',
Lee

www.myspace.com/leewkelley

Endorsements: Taye Drums, Sabian Cymbals, Evans Heads, Promark Sticks, Futz Practice Pedals
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:28 pm

loop wrote:I'm using Mapex T560 round throne. Steady, really comfortable, not to soft.

same with me
if I had the cash I'd go with Pearl's roadster w/backrest... :roll:
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
Justino
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:34 pm

they don't call it a throne for no reason broskis, it should really be a masterpiece and I think that if you are more comfortable while playing the kit that you will be able to better express yourself, least thats the way I am. I used a crappy Tama throne for a long time, but my back was really killin me from marching snare so I bought the real deal... a Roc N Soc Lunar LSG with the back rest. This piece of hardware is legit, its got that black velvit and its like sitting on shocks haha. It is listed at $219.95 on the Roc N Soc website, but Guitar Center is the real deal on hook ups. I know the manager at the local Guitar Center so he was gonna give me the thing for $170 and I was like its a floor model, whats the discount on floor models and he dropped it to $129.95. It was a real steal, but I love it.

Do you ever see a king sitting on a crappy old throne? Then why should us drummers?

Justino
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:38 pm

As an aside, when I was teching for Thomas Lang, Sonor sent him a 'bike seat' throne which he didn't really like. Very comfy, well made, contured etc. But he preferred the solid round seat, as I do so I had to change the seat. The one he ended up with was a very simple, well padded round seat which is always in the 'right' place.

Oh...and back rests? What is the point?
Proud endorser of
HIGHWOOD DRUMS, PAISTE CYMBALS, SILVERFOX STICKS, BASKEY ACCESSORIES, DUALLIST PEDALS & HARDCASE CASES.
tamaman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:42 pm

I use the Pork Pie! Very comfortable.
funkdrmr
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:58 pm

I'm using a Yamaha model.

I don't remember which one it is, but I looked up Dave Weckl's site & saw what he was using....I've been really happy with my decision.

I have a question about the roc 'n socks for you guys. I use one at a practice studio (plastic base, with the pneumatic (maybe?) middle section to adjust).

Do you roc 'n sock users find that they wear out over time? I think it's an extremely comfortable throne, but the one at the studio tends to sink down little by little. Now, I'm no small guy (6'0 235lbs), but I wouldn't think it should be doing that.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:54 pm

mikeellis wrote:Oh...and back rests? What is the point?

3 hour shows, that's what convinced me!
It really does help; my playing posture has improved immensely.

good point about the round seat though- I do occasionally get annoyed if the saddle isn't aligned right. Would be nice not to have to worry about it.

and to funkdrmr;
I've been using mine for over 2 years, haven't noticed any wear yet.
I'm sure the hydro shock would weaken eventually though, that's the nature of the beast.
HEVY KEVY
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:37 pm

I use a ROC n SOC. A friend of mine broke the mounting die cast off the bottom of the seat on his, I will put a pic of the $10.00 repair job at myspace.com/boomtapcrash
ceroweb
new
new

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:56 pm

TAMA HT430 ROUND RIDER TRIO. Excellent price and quality.
Sonrie, viviras m÷s
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:06 pm

I have a Pearl Roadster bike style with no backrest. It's done good through the years, but I might get a new one soon. I'll probably sell the Pearl.
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer