Chad Smith Signature series

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

caulkie
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:24 am

Has anyone got one? If so , do they sound just like they do on the record if you use the exact setup that Chad uses?
Nothing is foolproof to a suffciently talented fool
Shaggy
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:43 am

I got one. I've had it for about 3 years. I love it, although I want to switch to maple snare. I've recorded with it once, and it sounded alright, should have been tuned higher. I'm not sure if it will sound like Chad's actual snare due to who recorded his stuff and he probably didn't use his Signature Snare on the records.....
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:46 am

caulkie wrote:Has anyone got one? If so , do they sound just like they do on the record if you use the exact setup that Chad uses?

My friend Chris has one. For the price it's pretty good, and it has a really nice crack. Lot's of projection. The downside is that sometimes it was all you could hear on the kit when it wasn't miked. The snare was possibly TOO loud.

I can't say that it sounded like the snare on Chad's recordings. Not sure if he even used that one, and then of course there is the possibility of "studio trickery".
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:01 pm

caulkie wrote:Has anyone got one? If so , do they sound just like they do on the record if you use the exact setup that Chad uses?

No snare drum will sound like it does on record due to desk effects and enhancement.

They are a nice snare. I don't own one but I've played one. They are good. No doubt.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
screamkevin

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:16 am

I'd love to get one, I've heard them and they have great sounds. And, they are the least expensive signature snare that Pearl has!
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
Jaymoney
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:44 pm

Hey chad, use to favor a brady solid jarrah wood snare and Dw craviotto...he could of used any snare on the recordings...The chad smith drum along with his sabian signature cymbals were created to be a very popular product to fans and as you may notice both are at very inexpensive price I'm sure chad makes a cut every time his product sells.....
MelonFarmer
new
new

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:30 pm

I've got one....I used it for about 6 years or so...I reckon it only sounds like the One Hot Minute album to be honest....

It is an awesome snare, in a live situ, but I didn't like recording with it....its very open sounding. I did also find that the snare wires had to be tensioned up tighter than usual too....

I've just stopped using it in favour of a 14x6.5" Black Beauty, which I have to say is far, far superior....but then its a lot more money....

Jase,

www.myspace.com/melonfarmerband
wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:54 pm

i personally love the signature snare almost as much as the signature aaxplosions. i dont own one at the moment but a friend of mine let me borrow his for some practice sessions and it sounded fantastic.in fact i also love the vater chad smith funkblasters....that guy just has the best signatures for the best price around
DrumHead15
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:23 pm

I have one in my collection and it sounds great. I use it like a Stewart Copeland sound . Tight and ringy!
tbruchey
new
new

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:31 pm

its a great drum beats my metal Orange county any day
Pearl Drums, Hardware and pedals
OCDP Snares
Zildjian Cymbals
LP Percussion
Factory metal percussion
Vic Firth Sticks
Daneman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:48 am

As was said above, Chad rarely if ever used to it to record. Mostly played a few Brady snares, maybe DW here and there.

The Smith isn't a bad snare, but not my cup of tea. Just sounds a little too thin and brittle formy tastes, I like my snare to have a little more juevos behind it.
ultrastu
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:26 am

it is very loud it's not the snare he ever uses apart from in photo shoots (due to it being a mid priced snare) i think he mainly uses sensitones. Anyhow i got one but don't pay over the odds for one cause there are loads around check eBay. I think they sound wicked tuned high and fairly tight because it's only 5" deep there isn't much body to make a huge rock sound so its not really that versatile and it's also not really that sensitive like the description says you have to really loosen the snares for that. It wouldn't be good for doing a show or something simalar but for loud funk rock it might be just the thing.
Bluestonered
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

I had a drum lesson with a new student and went around to his studio, had a nice Mapex kit with a Chad Smith Snare... had the lesson... sounded great...he got me to solo abit at the end...... I bet he wished I hadn't. I broke a lug on the thing. just cracked right down the middle.... um I dont think I have to buy him a new snare, at least I hope not! So while they sound great, I dunno that they're the most heavy-duty of snares. Ive never done this before!
janosiff
new
new

Post Thu May 10, 2007 3:22 pm

I have one, I love it cause you can get a variety of sounds out of it.. But the only flaw with mine that I've found is, one lug keeps coming loose over the course of a few songs. Anybody else ever encounter this?