the most influential drummers

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

billwilldrum
new
new

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:19 am

Ditto to all the post above!!! Their all great!

But I think that Joe_Cader and I are showing our age... Hell yeah to Don Brewer GFR! And don't forget Bill Ward. Ah Hell When I saw Ringo on T.V. In Feb of 1964 I knew what I wanted to do for the rest of my life... Come on ya old farts out there, what say you? Yep still playing and I don't need no stinking vagra ether... LMAO!

Keep Kicking out the jams my Brother and Sister Drummers!

Cheers.
manicdrums
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:15 am

OK.. here goes... difficult one. In the order in which I discovered their talents (roughly)
Ringo Starr
John Bonham
Ian Paice
Nigel Olson
Steve Gadd
Jeff Porcaro
Mark Craney
Vinnie Colaiuta
....and so on.......
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first
create the universe."

-- Carl Sagan
ytsejammer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:18 am

Here's the guys that have the most notable influence on me:

Mike Portnoy, Chad Sexton (311 is underrated, theyre so much better than their radio hits and Sexton is a great drummer), Neil Peart, Dave Lombardo, Nick Mason and a friend of mine who isnt famous, but is really amazing and who I learn a lot from just by jamming with him and watching him play
doyle
new
new

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:42 am

jose pasillas - incubus
john otto - limp bizkit
mike marsh - dashboard confessional
travis braker - blink 182, +44, transplants
dave grohl
taylor hawkins - foo fighters
dan trapp - senses fail
nic argyos - 16 stitch
mike cosgrove - alien ant farm
elchris2k6
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:43 am

JOHN BONHAM- he's the reason i even picked up the sticks, everything he did amazed me especially his foot work...fastest foot in the land!!! and i loved the sound he created, i think cretin1 said it best, hes not great by todays standards but he basically created todays standards, hes the reason i play ludwig and paiste

Chad Smith- heavy influence lately, this is the reason my drumming has developed a slightly funky sound

Brad Wilk- i was a big fan of ratm and i love audioslave, and his drumming

Buddy Rich- he has just started becoming an influence to me lately, i had never really listened to his drumming unfourtunantly, i love his work

Keith Moon- i love his attitude, i relate to his style alot, his fills are amazing

Mitch Mitchell- great drummer, i love his wok w/ jimi
doyle
new
new

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:51 am

yeah just want to add

questolove - the roots
riley beckenridge - thrice
josh willls - story of the year to my list

shew what a hard thing to do hey!!!
DrummerSean
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:57 am

#1 fav is Steve "Machine Gun" Smith(Steps Ahead, Vital Information, Journey)
Dennis Chambers
Danny Sarifina...Chicago
Marvin "Smitty" Smith
Dave Weckel
Cater Beauford
Poogie Bell
Kenwood Danard
Peter Erskine
Ed Thigpen
Neil Peart
Terry Bozzio
Joe Morello
Billy Cobham
John Bonham
Ian Paice
Nigel Olson
Steve Gadd
Jeff Porcaro
Vinnie Colaiuta
Doan Perry
Arron Comase
Great Rockers......Lars...Tommy Lee...Tommy Aldridge...Lee Kerslack...Dave Lombardo...and Matt Cameron

Special Thanks to:...Buddy Rich...Max Roach....Louie Bellson...Joe Morello....Funk Brothers(Benny Benjermen...Pistol Allen...Uriel Jones...Bongo Brown)
Sean R. Simister
President SRA " A LIve & Loud Company"
sean@sralive.com
www.sralive.com
ytsejammer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:35 am

oh and also Mel Taylor from the Ventures 8)
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:25 pm

drummer_jim wrote:Neil Peart, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Bill Bruford, Nick Mason, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Danny Carey, Terry Bozzio, Phil Collins, Carl Palmer.

Those are all exactly the same for me, although I would add in Chad Smith for helping me get started.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads
Wyl E Peyote
new
new

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:41 pm

I've been reading through the thread and it seems to be a case of list your fave drummers rather than the ones who have influenced your playing, I could be wrong.

Personally, the guys who have influenced me include my cousin Mary Phelan, (she is the reason I picked up a pair of stix in the first place, she was lead percussionist in the Uni of Maryland orchestra for a number of years, and awesome player who scared me at the age of 9 by getting me to do a mummy daddy.)

Another guy who influenced me was a guy called Tommy Thomas, he teaches here in Belfast, he's the first person to show me what it was to be a drummer. I met him at first when I worked in a drum shop at the tender age of 17. He influenced me more in mindset rather than technique, but he passed on a fair bit of that too.

Another influence would be John Wilson, the first "Famous" drummer I ever met. He used to play with Rory Gallagher in 'TASTE'. When he goes for it, he sounds like he has 10 arms but looks like he is doing nothing but sitting there. He used to sit me down in work when he came in and showed me all kinds of madness.

One of the biggest influences on me and my playing would have to be Dave Glenfield. He plays with a band called 'CAVA'. (http://www.cavamusic.com). When I first met him, he was still playing with the Field Marshall Montgomery Pipe Band (Class 2 and Class 1 World Champions). We used to swap bits of kit and a lot of licks and laughs.

As for drummers in the public/media eye that have been influential to me have been Larry Mullan Jr of U2, I love the subtlety of what he does, plus I have been a big fan of the band all my life, and Mel Gaynor of Simple Minds, A wonderous player, big hitter too.

That was before I found the Joys of Rock and Metal. Then along came guys like Nicko McBrain, Lars Ulrich and Dave Lombardo into my life. Oh what joy!

This was all as I was forming my preferences in music, and during that time I also discovered Jazz and Fusion, throwing up people to me like Rod Morgenstien, and of course Steve Smith (though I knew him from his Journey days first).

But my first love is Prog Rock, especially King Crimson which means one person....Bill Bruford. While at the same time taking influence from the likes of Alan White and finding God, namely Neil Peart. Of all the people who have inspired me rather than influenced me, NP has the greatest effect. Through getting to know his playing, I have gotten into a lot of stuff from 70's Rock to 50's swing to 20's ragtime. Is there nothing that man can't do????

Other than that other guys I love would be Bill Ward, Ian Paice, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Ginger Baker, Jim Kirkpatrick etc etc.

I have been listening to music for nearly 35 years, so it would be hard to nail it down, but there are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many to mention, so I think I will stop right here.
Turn the drums down?? F**K THAT! TURN THE BLOODY AMPS UP!!!
drummert2k

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:09 pm

Travis Barker- (i know a lot of people dont like him but he's an amazing and creative drummer)

Benny Greb- (from Germany and he is friggin awesome.)

Johnny Rabb- ( super tight. cyborg drummer, part human, part drum machine)

Thomas Lang- ( not much more can be said, I hope someday to be half the drummer he is)

Mike Portnoy- ( a lot of his parts are actually just simple drum parts. but when he has a part where he can really let his creativity shine he lets his presence be known. although his kit now adays is ridiculously huge. i liked his stuff with Liquid Tension Experiment. he played a much smaller kit but was just as awesome as usual)

Jeff Queen- (drum corps snare drummer but a drummer none the less. and an amazing one at that)

Although Im no where near playing like any of these guys, these are the drummers who helped me to develope my personal style and techinques just by learning everything i could from each one of them.

I know there are other drummers out there that most would claim to be "better" than the ones on my list. these are just the ones i found helped me grow the most as a drummer and i learned the most from.
hits hard
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:11 pm

John S -- Helmet
Morgan Rose --Sevendust
Benny Greb ??
Tom Lang ??
Dailey
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:44 pm

if I hear Mike Portnoy one more damn time, I will throw something. He's great don't get me wrong, but in respect to how much inlfuence? Not much in that arena.

How about Dave Weckl, Gene Krupa, or Sam Woodyard?
Coppell High Drumline
3rd year Tenors
drummert2k

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:58 pm

Dailey wrote:if I hear Mike Portnoy one more damn time, I will throw something. He's great don't get me wrong, but in respect to how much inlfuence? Not much in that arena.

How about Dave Weckl, Gene Krupa, or Sam Woodyard?

this is a post of who influenced you as a drummer. Mike Portnoy was a big influence on my playing. if you read the bottom of my post you'll see i wrote that i know there are much better drummers out there than the one i named. so go ahead and throw whatever you'd like. Mike Portnoy influenced me and made me a better player. if you dont like his drummer dont listen to him. Im personaly a big Weckl fan but if you hear me play its not like you're gonna say "wow, you must listen to a lot of Weckl, it shows in your drumming" Krupa is also a great drummer. but again, not someone who has a direct influence on my personal playing
reefer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:58 pm

john bonham, hands down. No one in rock & roll has his combo of technique and feel... its this balance that makes him the biggest influence on my list, and arguably the biggest influence of rock drumming today. As for the rest, I have a top twenty list on my myspace so you can check that out, here's a few more:

keith moon, ginger baker, rich, krupa, danny carey, josh freese (BECAUSE of a perfect circle), Steve Gorman (blk crowes), dave grohl, levon helm, jimmy chamberlin, jose pasillas, the 3 matts (cameron, sorum and epps who just got added because I went to a Gov.mule show on friday - damn!), max roach, christian tanna (i mother earth - great canadian band), dave weckl, stuart copeland, neil peart, elvin jones.... the list continues to grow
Zebra-powered rock and roll
http://www.themicronitefilters.com

Check out:
http://www.getbentrecords.com
for great independent music you've never heard