World's Fastest Drummer Competition - Is it even drumming?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:55 am

Hello everyone :) Let's discuss about it. What do you guys and gals think?

loop
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:41 am

loop wrote:Hello everyone :) Let's discuss about it. What do you guys and gals think?

loop

Fastness is interesting in sports and for athlets.
In music?

Well; Obviously a good drummer should have a good technique and good skills, but a competition in "fastest drummer" is about as interesting at "Most musical athlete", as far as I'm concerned! 8)
ImageImageImage
Demented Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:32 am

I dunno, it seems like a good competition to me. I know we play a very physical instrument. What`s wrong with seeing who can do it the fastest? Have you ever tried it? It`s not just 'masturbating'. It actually takes skill and technique.

I bougt a drumometer II when it first came out. It`s the offical meter they use at WFD. Lemme tell you this, my speed leaves a lot to be desired but my technique has improved dramatically.

There is a great deal of skill needed to pull 1000+ singles off in 60 seconds. I know I can`t do it. I do know (from personal experience) that the more relaxed you play, the faster you can go.

For anyone reading this, and who follows WFD, a name to watch for, and a good friend of mine:

Mike "Machine" Mallais!

He`ll be making a name for himself there!
Tama GRANSTAR in Nile Blue
PAISTE cymbals
9 pieces of percussion
8-sided Pearl ICON rack
Gilbraltar throne
AHEAD sticks
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:15 pm

I think it's great fun and also sort of motivative for young drummers. The WFD shows are also a great oppourtunity to learn from the fastest guys on the market how to improve your technique to play fast, flawlessly and more relaxed.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:28 pm

anyone got a link to a site where i can actually see this? i must say ive never even heard of it
ViciousCircle5
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:51 pm

I think its dumb. Can't really think of anything I'd find more annoying when it comes to drumming.

But yeah, it takes talent.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:42 am

I'm not sure what I think of it.
I've always kind of assumed it is a publicity stunt for selling Drumometers.
The winners I'm familiar with are certainly world-class drummers.

http://www.worldsfastestdrummer.com/
Ajax4
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:49 am

not my thing
its not about speed
but yeah i suppose it has its uses
wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:22 am

thats.......almost.....kinda pointless
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:38 am

I think it's cool. Kinda like the world's fastest sprinter or what not. It takes a certain technique to go really fast. Just keep in mind that this is a physical competition and not a musical showcase.

You know, they should have a world's best time keeper showdown. Give them a tempo to start with and turn it silent and see how long the drummer can stay with the silenced metronome. That would take some talent.
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
Demented Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:08 am

Rob the Drummer wrote:I think it's cool. Kinda like the world's fastest sprinter or what not. It takes a certain technique to go really fast. Just keep in mind that this is a physical competition and not a musical showcase.

You know, they should have a world's best time keeper showdown. Give them a tempo to start with and turn it silent and see how long the drummer can stay with the silenced metronome. That would take some talent.

that`s a pretty cool idea, `cept don`t give them a metronome at all, just call out numbers
PAISTE cymbals
9 pieces of percussion
8-sided Pearl ICON rack
Gilbraltar throne
AHEAD sticks
cfyves
new
new

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:03 am

This is my first post on here...

So hey all!

Personally, I think whether a person likes it or not is in the eye of the beholder....

If it gives the drummer a reason to work on stick/foot control and technique.... then why not?

Something to help keep motivated to practice.
Justino
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:35 pm

To me "wfd" is a buncha crap. What I wanna know is if speed is really what matters why isn't the WFD in a killer band???? I mean Carter Beauford, Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, Aaron Spears... you name it theyt are fast but they don't rely on their speed to make them a good musician. I feel like speed is a very small part to drumming and you don't really need speed to be good. If you can blaze on your rudiments who needs singles!?!?! I also think that focusing soo much on speed is like making baked potato with just chives on it... how sick is that you need all the ingredients to make it good. My big focus has always been technique and I fell that technique is by far the most important aspect to drumming.
I am not a fan of speed drumming who can groove, dance or have fun with a song at 1000bpm... I can't.
Justnio
Demented Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:40 am

Justino wrote:To me "wfd" is a buncha crap. What I wanna know is if speed is really what matters why isn't the WFD in a killer band???? I mean Carter Beauford, Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, Aaron Spears... you name it theyt are fast but they don't rely on their speed to make them a good musician. I feel like speed is a very small part to drumming and you don't really need speed to be good. If you can blaze on your rudiments who needs singles!?!?! I also think that focusing soo much on speed is like making baked potato with just chives on it... how sick is that you need all the ingredients to make it good. My big focus has always been technique and I fell that technique is by far the most important aspect to drumming.
I am not a fan of speed drumming who can groove, dance or have fun with a song at 1000bpm... I can't.
Justnio

that`s why it`s WFD and not WBD (as in BEST drummer).
It`s like 100 meter dash for drummers.
being the fastest drummer doesn`t make you the best drummer by any stretch of the imagination.

I`m not sure if you`ve ever tried it, but there is a lot more involved then just speed. I`ve tried it (i own a drumometer ii) and I can tell you from experience that it is not close to easy. There is a lot of technique and control involved. You need to learn how to relax too. I have no intentions of ever competing but i test myself from time to time. Since doing this, for no one other than me, I`ve noticed my playing has improved greatly. I have more technique and less fatigue. I`ve been playing for 20+ years.

Now forget listening to anyone playing on a record at those speeds. That`s just ridiculous. There`s no groove at 1000BPM+. It`s simply just noise.

The current holder Mike Mangini is an incredible player. I don`t know who`d I say has better independence between him or say Virgil Donati but Mike is incredible. He can lay the groove down at normal speeds and maintain it effortlessly. HE can turn it up (with ANNIHILATOR) when he needs to.

I`m all about the groove when playing and prefer listening to drummers who do the same thing. I don`t think WFD is a useless venture/competition. It`s just a competition, like I said earlier, like a sprint for runners. I appreciate the hard work that goes into their efforts. WFD proves that they are FAST not that they are GOOD. A friend of mine gets 700+ when he uses my meter, and doesn`t play ANY instrument. THat`s far from the record, and it sures as hell doesn`t make him a good drummer.
PAISTE cymbals
9 pieces of percussion
8-sided Pearl ICON rack
Gilbraltar throne
AHEAD sticks
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:16 am

im not too sure about the WFD but I know that the winner of the 2006 " Worlds Fastest Feet" Competition is in the band Vital Remains and he pulls off some amazingly technical and fast parts.

But when it comes to do the WFD you cant think of it as a musical competition. Some people are such sticklers like that and it's annoying. It's a competition to see who can go the fastest. Is there a real reason to do it? No, but why the hell not?
Vetis