Reggae Beats

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:04 pm

I've been playing in reggae bands for the last 3 years. Another thing to take into consideration is where you place your accents. Instead of crashing on one, try to hit the four of the preceding measure, or the two of the new measure.

Reggae is all about groove. If the bassline is straight, swing your hats ever so slightly. It'll get the people up and dancing in a heartbeat.

Once you feel more comfortable with the one drop riddim, I would recommend checking out some Sly and Robbie. They have been playing together for quite some time and you can hear the evolution of their own playing and their influence on reggae music. Enjoy.
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:12 am

Dale wrote:Think 'timbales' when playing fills etc.

Dale, have you got any transcriptions of such fills or maybe ideas on which rudiments to practice in order to get close to that 'timbales kind of playing'?
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:53 am

Qbs wrote:
Dale wrote:Think 'timbales' when playing fills etc.

Dale, have you got any transcriptions of such fills or maybe ideas on which rudiments to practice in order to get close to that 'timbales kind of playing'?

Yeah, heaps. I don't know how to put 'em up on site though. It might be an idea to listen to some classics in the Latin style. Try this place: http://www.live365.com/stations/djalvarog

Sorry not to have seen your post earlier. I've been away for a couple of days.

I'll see what I can do about transcribing things to leave them on the site.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:36 am

If you have some .jpg (or other image files) just uploading them to www.imageshack.us and then posting them here would do :)
Thanks
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
skatroma
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:08 pm

Listen to the Skatalites, they are easy to find and for all intents and purposes created the ska beat which led to the reggae beat. It's an odd almost unnatural feel for me but I enjoy playing it.
If you can't drum 'em, beat 'em.