Reggae Beats

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

paul89
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:31 am

I created this topic ,because I need help. :wink: Since month I play reggae with my new band :) ,but I have never played reggae rhythms. I'm going to learn ,at first simple beat, then more difficult and the most... :) If you can, give me addres web page, on which are the assorted reggae beats.
Thanks and please for understanding :wink:
Pearl, Istanbul, Saluda, Evans. Dw 5000 :)
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:20 pm

paul - as I told you check out Groove Essentials @ www.vicfirth.com - give me some time and I'll transcribe the 'one drop' for you (that is if you won't find it in Groove Essentials - so please LMK)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:37 pm

ok.
here's 'one drop' - the basic (IMHO) reggae beat 'invented' by Carlton Bennet (or Berret - I don't remember his name right now...) - the guy who played with Bob Marley.

the thing is that you don't play kick on ONE but on THREE (one drop) it maybe hard at first but give it a try in 80bpm and you'll worki it out.

as for other beats just play along to some reggae records or try variations of 'one drop' - play continous quarter notes with foot, try playing rim-click, ad some triplets - the bottom line is that it all comes down to what you can come up with :)

have fun :)
paul89
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:32 am

Thanks! Sory, but I didn't read last message. Thanks fot tipoff ,
I'll exercise. When I picked up ,I'll write to you :) But I think, that I'll find everything on this web page ,which you give :) thanks again !
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:05 pm

another beat you might want to incorporate is what I would call a dancehall/ragga clave (since it's the basic beat for those genres)

if you were to count this in 16 notes you'd play the following (marked in red and bold)
1e+a2e+a

The notes are written on a single line so that you can orchestrate it anyway you want but I think that the most common variation is the one with the two first notes being played with the kick and the last with the snare drum :)

I found it easiest to learn this groove at about 70-80 bpm and I think that it sounds best played around 90-100 bpm

experiment and have fun :)
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:55 pm

I'd like also to add that if you have the oppourtunity to listen to drum&bass- loads of that stuff comes from the "funky drummer" and other funk beats. It's just played up to speed.
Whooops I forgot to add that sometimes a funky beat like the one from James Browns "Funky Drummer" is all that you need to put a nice groove to a reaggae beat :) Of course played with the right dynamics etc :)
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
paul89
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:43 am

Thanks, very much for your tipoff and advice ... You said very important things ,which will be helpful for me while learning :)
I've been already start learning and I think, that my reggae beat is more interesting, because I play now with accent :lol: hehe :)

With respect to Funk groove:
I found my book "Futute Sound" by Gardibaldi ,which sometime read and I exercised with this book :P Thanks for reminder ... :)
I haven't heard about "Funky Drummer" :( So I will have to buy It :P
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:01 am

"Funky Drummer" i one of the greatest songs by James Brown :P
my personal second favourite JB song :)
juNgle beatZ
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:29 am

Shalaq wrote:I'd like also to add that if you have the oppourtunity to listen to drum&bass- loads of that stuff comes from the "funky drummer" and other funk beats. It's just played up to speed.

True Shalaq, some of thos wicked jungle beats are just regular rhythms played at very fast tempos - about 180beatz per minute :twisted:
revese eNgineeRinG
TDRUMP
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:06 pm

:D PICK UP A COPY OF THE POLICE'S REGATTA DE BLANC AND LISTEN TO "WALKIN' ON THE MOON". :D PRACTICE THAT AND YOU SHOULD BE GOOD. IF YOU NEED IT TRANSCRIBED, I'M SURE YOU COULD FIND IT ON THE NET!
FunkyDrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:30 am

In his video "Under the Table & Drumming" Carter Beauford demonstrates what he calls a "simple reggae beat" :D
be funky!
davidpetry
new
new

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:32 am

Reggae is tough at first. I recommend listening to 12/8 patterns like swing plus all those Bob Marley records. I like reggae in a 12/8 feel. It swings. I think of it like turning your left foot in jazz(2,4) to your bass drum on 2 and 4.

Your feet should go LRLR 1,2,3,4

Left hand cross stick on 2,4 plus some ad lib

Right hand plays a 6/8 or 12/8 patttern

Petry
reggaebeats07
new
new

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:13 pm

just listen to all the Bob Marley alblums, Carlton Berret is a sick drummer. Also listen to an of the Peter Tosh alblums. Some new groups to look for are Westbound Train and listen to the Toasters. Ska is based on reggae so their beats are similar. Youll have to learn the 'one drop'.
BlastBeaterX
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:49 am

Check out alot of ska, it's the father of reggae. You can learn alot cool stuff, It's how I learned to play reggae ;)
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:44 am

Play the kick on 2 & 4 for most reggae beats other than one drop. Accent off beats on the hi hats. Think 'timbales' when playing fills etc.

The eaiest way for you to learn is to simply listen to some reggae.

Just go here. http://www.live365.com/stations/versionist
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones