Women Drummers...

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:54 am

I personally think women drummers are the coolest thing since sliced bread! I love to watch them play and I have yet to hear one that wasn't good enough to be in the band she was in.

I will admit that I am at first..WOAH, LOOK AT THAT!!! I think that Women drummers are HOT!! I am not trying to demean them in any way, I am a guy and I love to play drums and women that can play drums are the coolest!!

I hope to have children someday and I want a daughter, if she takes an interest in drums then she will have my unwavering support. I think that women have gotten the short end of the stick, no pun intended, when it comes to getting a chance to play drums. They are NOT a novelty, they are drummers and deserve the same respect any male drummer gets.
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:41 am

sharkscott wrote:
I hope to have children someday and I want a daughter, if she takes an interest in drums then she will have my unwavering support.

Better drums than the phone!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's much cheaper. :wink:
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:02 am

True That Yo!

Because there is no way you can be on the phone and play at the same time..at least for me that is! LOL!!!
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
Jaso
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:32 pm

I remember trying out for the jazz band at my middle school and my only competition was a girl drummer. I was kinda freaked out because i had never even heard of a female drummer before. Everyone said that i was going to lose because apparently this girl had been playing for 6 or 7 years and i had only played for about 1 1/2 years. So i went to tryouts scared as hell but did anyways. after tryouts our band director said that I had won :D . But man it sucked for the next few days because everyone was saying that i had made her cry and that i should have lost. But man i was happy.

I know this really has nothing to do with my opinion on female drummers and im sorry if i offended anyone. This was just a story that happened to me. I know their are some awesome female drummers out there. I just havent met them :wink: .
Ludwig Drums
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarium Heads
Vater Sticks
Gibralter hardware
Pearl Pedals
nhdrummergrl
new
new

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:24 pm

Whas' up everyone;) Yep, I am here PROUDLY representing those females who can RAWK OUT!! I am a 36 year old married mom of two, and have been hittin' the skins since the age of 13;) I only had one lesson, when I was 13, and the instructor asked me to play some Huey Lewis (yeah, well it was big at the time lol) so I did..and he just looked at me in awe when I was done. When my dad came to pick me up he told him not to waste his money on the lessons, and to watch out, cause some day, I may just be up there with the "big boys";) He was right, and the first time I got on stage was to sit in for a local band in Maine when I was 18. Funny thing is my ex boyfriend was the drummer of the other band playing, and he always made fun of me, told me I wasn't "good enough" etc..(yeah..that is why I dumped his A**) :wink: I will NEVER forger the look on his face when I played "shakin" by Eddie Money and got a standing ovation..and the rest they say, is history! I play mostly for fun these days, and both of my kids (especially my 5 year old son..he is not SENSIBLE AMAZING) love the drums. To me, it doesn't matter if you were BORN with a "stick" as long as you know how to work the pair that is in your hands;) If you have a dream, and you were blessed with the gift of rhythm, then I say RAWK ON SISTAHS, and the boys (and girls) who relate..will ALWAYS appreciate! *Rhythm is the power* ;)
"It's every parent's nightmare, I suppose, that their child becomes a drummer."-Roger Taylor, Duran Duran
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:29 pm

Good to have you here :)
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Flatliner

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:59 am

The Drumming community just needs a female drummer to come around that's the next peart/gadd/[insert amazing drummer always argued to be the best]. Then everything will stop, right now only one reason that's not entirely sexist for why this has not happened that comes to mind. Virginia Wolf once commented (and I paraphrase) that the reason the most educated poeple at the time were men was the fact that women were crushed of any spirit to want to achieve at the same age men were being charge with the responsibility to lead the way.
screamkevin

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:22 am

Flatliner wrote:The Drumming community just needs a female drummer to come around that's the next peart/gadd/[insert amazing drummer always argued to be the best]. Then everything will stop, right now only one reason that's not entirely sexist for why this has not happened that comes to mind. Virginia Wolf once commented (and I paraphrase) that the reason the most educated poeple at the time were men was the fact that women were crushed of any spirit to want to achieve at the same age men were being charge with the responsibility to lead the way.

There already are 2, they just don't get the press and publicity that the men get:

-Cindy Blackman (Lenny Kravitz/Solo)
-Hillary Jones (Tribal Tech/Solo)
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
Flatliner

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:31 am

Like I said, they need that last part, the constantly argued to be the best drummer on the planet part, but I'll check them out, especially Hillary Jones, I love tribal tech, friends albums so I've never seen who's actually in the band.
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon May 14, 2007 11:32 am

I have to say that I havent heard many musicians use the "she's good for a girl" . Oh, I should say that Im not a girl. From what Ive seen, guys that are musicians tend to find female musicians very attractive, no matter what instrument they play. I'll admit to doin the doubletake when I see a girl behind the kit but its not cause Im surprised its morelike, *sigh* "a woman after my own heart", ya know?
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Mon May 14, 2007 12:25 pm

I know several female drummers that would send about 90% of their male counterparts back to the woodshed.

There's no "gender requirement" to play drums. Female drummers tend to fill in the gaps that many male drummers leave out- I find them to be more sensing of the music and play accordingly.

In the English language, there is no "Masculine/Feminine/Neuter" verbage as there is in Spanish or French or Italian (Bambino,Bambina,etc) and if you equate music to conversation then I would say English is a language that "misses" many nuances.

Just an observation....
toriachels
beginner
beginner

Post Mon May 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Im a female drummer, been playing for 4 years!
Im not yet in a band, n 2 college bands but the guys in my class knows that theres no messing with me.
I do my thing.
When i do jam nights, i end up on the drums most of the night with £25 in my pocket!
The guys that come up to me and say how good i am is ridiclous :lol:

Oh well, i love what i do and so do they!

Wicked!

www.myspace.com/toriac
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Mon May 14, 2007 2:21 pm

toriachels wrote:Im a female drummer, been playing for 4 years!
Im not yet in a band, n 2 college bands but the guys in my class knows that theres no messing with me.
I do my thing.
When i do jam nights, i end up on the drums most of the night with £25 in my pocket!
The guys that come up to me and say how good i am is ridiclous :lol:

Oh well, i love what i do and so do they!

Wicked!

www.myspace.com/toriac

What you just said- "I do my thing".

That is PRICELESS. Do "your" thing. Don't try and be another Weckl, Vinnie, etc. Just be YOU. And since you realize that at this moment, you are farther ahead of the curve than you realize. :)
sicdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon May 14, 2007 3:43 pm

dude female drummers are hot ok just to get that clear and i think its stupid just acting up oh wow you drum really yeah and i can shove the stick up your ass stupid pricks jesus i wuld love to see any female drummer do what they love
tama,zildjian,sabian,remos,dw,and pro mark.
myspace.com/death20
myspace.com/afterdeathexperience
myspace.com/venusinfearband
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon May 14, 2007 3:57 pm

more credit to the girls. its harder on yall in general. its hard for all of us, but you still have to fight ot be heard these days. i plan to teach my girlfriend another instrument one of these days. although she plays sexiphone(alto saxaphone) and thats hot in its own. who knows, maybe she jam with me in a jazz/swing thing eventualy
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.