Women Drummers...

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

retrodrummergirl
new
new

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:30 am

Another female drummer here... I definitely have had my share of "sorry, band members only" situations, the assumption that I'm just helping carry drums in for my "boyfriend", or the ridiculous question of, "Are you sure you can handle this type of music?". Or my favorite: "You're in a band? What are you, the singer?"

In a past show with a band that also included a female guitarist, as we were setting up, another bandmate overheard the bartender of the place telling his buddy on the phone: "Well, the band is here setting up now. It doesn't look like they have a drummer or a guitar player, though."

Actually getting behind the kit for that first song of the set, or even just the soundcheck, and seeing eyes slowly widen, and these macho guys trying not to start boppin' their heads to a funk groove I might lay down is priceless... my favorite is hearing, "Wow, you're really good - and not just for a girl, you know!" Why even qualify it like that??

I used to feel pretty unique being a serious musician and female drummer who isn't your typical "punk" drummer, but there are definitely more and more coming out nowadays! But, it's like any other male dominated forum - most often women have to work twice as hard to get half the recognition. That's okay with me - I just love to play and can't imagine life otherwise!

Now, if only I could find a serious female guitar & bass player....
:)
SkinBeater
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:49 pm

Demented Drummer wrote:My 12 yr old shows interest in my drums from time to time. I would love it if she would allow me to teach her from my 20 yrs (and counting...) experience. I would so love to see her grab people`s attention.... looking like a "BRITNEY" and sounding like PEART...PORTNOY...CHAMBERS...

I have to admit that it still catches my attention when i see a female drummer. maybe sub-consciously i`m like most guys, waiting and hoping she fails. We tend to look at it like a male-only seat! I think it`s great that there are more females taking it up.

I hope my daughter becomes one!

Actually... I look at it a different way... Chic drummers are hot!.. something about seeing a chic playing drums does it for me... i wanted the go-go's drummer in the worst way....

Jon
"Hold the red star proudly..."

Check out more vids at... www.myspace.com/shogun_warrior32
massifassiph
new
new

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:05 am

rok on the female drummers. i can see were other ppl wld give them a hard time but fuk em. i think the drums origanly startd off as a mans place but then so did driving. i dont think you can say nah girls shldnt play the drums thats totally wrong!!!!!

SO KEEP THE FEMALE DRUMMERS DRUMMING
hansmit41
new
new

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:25 am

Hey all!

Im a female drummer, 19 years old from england UK. Ive been playing drums since i was 9...and never stopped loving it. I studied drums at a proffessional music college for the last 2 years, and met some pretty awesome people. Check out my site www.myspace.com/drummerhannah

Since i started gigging I realised how particularly men turn their nose up when they realise i am the drummer of the band. You can see them giggling away saying things while i set my equipment up like "awww how sweet a little girl drummer, aww!" And I'm just laughing to myself thinking "yes mate, you just hold back your opinions and stick around to see me play." It's quite enjoyable to watch the look on their faces when i start to play...Im just like "yeah fuck you!!"

Female drummers all the way!

Please add me on myspace and lets get talking.

And check out my band :)

www.myspace.com/thebandcalledaka
Jendeen
new
new

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:52 am

I'm a transgendered female drummer. I do know what's it's like to be profiled soon as I show up to load and the show. There's the usual whistle and "you're hot" kinda thing. Then after I invariably say something to someone that's when it starts, "Whoa, that's a dude, that's fucked up!" Depending on the situation, I just blow it off. what ultimately matters is how you play, nothing else.
Generally the one's that are a bit pretentious are standing at the front of the stage waiting for me to fall on my ass. When what actually happens is, they end up in the front head banging, or standing by my kit watching me do all the things they could only dream of. You re now Mine Bitches;)
I meet many new friends and most are more than gracious or it simply doesn't matter to them. What it comes down to is respect and realizing what a persons gender is moot when compared to the music a person bring into the picture.
Overall, it just inspires me to be all the more on top of my stuff. So it all serves a purpose!!
Jendeen
Ms Jendeen
TrishFury
new
new

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:10 am

I started drumming when I was 26 which is late I know, but its been 3 years and I am having a lot of fun playing out and meeting new people.

www.myspace.com/hotrodfury
hansmit41
new
new

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:19 pm

My band = female drummer, female bassist (SISTERS!!!), female singer, 2 male guitarists (out numbered boys!)

please check us out, we are actually really good! what you waiting for!

drumobsessed
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:47 pm

I just hope that guys don't take the 'female drummers are soooo hot' thing seriously when they're watching a girl play, because no matter what you're going to think she's pretty good (unless she really, really, really sucks ass).

I get it all the time and I don't know if they're talking to me because I'm 'hot' and they want to make conversation or because they actually think I'm good.
druminzeetobaccofade
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:13 pm

For the most part I don't think that guys that are drummers would be checking out a woman drummer just for that reason, I think they'd be more focused on your playing than anything else. That's my personal perspective though..

I saw a woman playing in a punk band out of Dallas, we did a show with them and she rocked!! She was an incredible drummer, I was so focused on her playing that any thoughts of a female drummer being on stage went out the window.

I have a good friend in OKC, she plays in the band Revolution Pariah, go check em out they seriously kick some major ass, www.myspace.com/revolutionpariah we just recently did a solo performance together at a gig in the city, and it was an incredible experience, there was no gender crap going on, just good clean drumming mayhem. She's one of the best drummers I've seen on the scene period, so if anyone has any missgivings about female drummers, you might want to stop by their page and check em out, you'll be pleasantly suprised.

I have to say that I haven't seen too many female drummers out there, but the ones I have seen take their instrument serious and I have nothing but respect for them. A drummer is a drummer no matter what the gender, it's a drummers freedom of expression that I look at.

Play on woman drummers. 8)
I'm in a metal band out of Oklahoma, stop by if your interrested in checking it out..

www.myspace.com/against72

Noble & Cooley (www.noblecooley.com)

Trick pedals (www.trickdrums.com)
andorawinds
new
new

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:50 am

I have been playing drums for little over 6 years now. Ive played in all girl grunge punk bands to progressive instrumental metal/jazz fusion. I started out playing the guitar when I was 13, I had lessons from a real quitar god and everything but it just wasent for me. I was good at it, still am but when a friend of mine approched me about buying a kit for only 200 dollars I couldnt resist. seriously pearls are not cheap at least these kind wasent so I jumped on it, dumped about 1000 dollars on cymbals, heads, stands, new throne, rug, cowbells....ect. I couldnt believe how well I picked the drums up. I amazed myself not to mention my friends and family. I have gotten pretty dam good with it, recently added two extra toms and a double kick pedal. I get approched alot to join bands in the memphis area, none as technical as I would like, so im sticking to my progressive instrumental metal/jazz fusion band for now untill something eles that sounds promising comes along.... I knowwhy change...lol
brokenhope
new
new

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:28 am

women who have the balls to get us there in a mostly male dominated industry rock!!
i love the attention i get ..
i think that men get turned on by the fact that a woman can play..it really does help draw men and women to the stage to see..
i don't know how many time i have heard a girl cum up to me and ask for lessons or tell me how i inspired them.it makes all the hard work i put into the project worth it..
i have had some noses turned up to me .. that just makes me play harder..

I'LL BE YOUR HUCKLEBERRY..
punkdrummergirl
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:10 pm

hansmit41 wrote:My band = female drummer, female bassist (SISTERS!!!), female singer, 2 male guitarists (out numbered boys!)

please check us out, we are actually really good! what you waiting for!

Hey Hannah!
Glad to see you on the board...rock on!! \m/
Mad_cow
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:00 pm

I SUPPORT FEMALE DRUMMERS 100%

...maybe even 103%

katemate
new
new

Post Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:08 am

Love playing the drums! Don't wanna be a blokey player, just wanna be a great player, and taken seriously. It's too late to be the hot rock chick but I'm gonna be playing til Im 80!
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:31 am

One of my students is a young girl and she's a little gem. She practices all the lessons I give her and pays attention when I speak of technique. She works on her triplets, singles, doubles, paradiddles, everything!

When I first spoke to her of the importantance of developing good technique, I said "some people find working on a pad boring." Her response? "It's not boring!"

If this young girl keeps at it, as I suspect she will, she's going to be a kick arse drummer!

I know that there is an idea that male drummers are somehow against female drummers, but in my 25 odd years playing I have never ever met a male drummer who felt negative toward female drummers. Never!
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones