Female Drummers

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:18 pm

mouse wrote:
foolscapfire wrote:I'm a female drummer. my band's space is myspace.com/foolscapfire. I don't think I'm a great drummer, sometimes I think I try to do to much because I began as a strictly punk rock drummer and kinda taught myself(no lessons or help from anyone). So I didn't get a lot of the basics that I needed....now I'm working on those so it's like learning to play backwards. I always feel intimidated by most male drummers, and I go to see a lot of live bands so I get intimidated a lot....but then I'll see a male drummer who isn't even as good as me and(I know it sounds mean) but it makes me feel better. I wish that I didn't feel like my drumming will always be inferior to most male drummers. Maybe someday I won't. I do know that I started at the age of 28, whereas most guys I know started at around age 14, so I have an EXCUSE!. I don't like being referred to as a chick drummer, or playing a show because they want to book a band with a chick drummer, I just would like to be appreciated as a drummer..period, even though I think I have a long way to go in the skills department. that's all. whoooo long ass post! tori castellano from the donnas is one of my favorite drummers ever!

word of advice from one female drummer to another- play on the fact your female!!!!!! It's a great way for getting your band noticed and remembered. Even if you hate it, use it to your advantage!!! You'll get more than you think... :wink: 8)

Sarah x

lol
Very well put!
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
Jaki
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:58 pm

i like banging both.. lol simple as
Pure Deaththrash
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:16 pm

Jaki wrote:i like banging both.. lol simple as

oh sheesh
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
Fishy22
new
new

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:21 am

lol im one myself. haha yaaaay!
lisamp7
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:24 am

25 NYC, been playing 12 years plus more if a set made of shoeboxes and pillows counts.

www.myspace.com/changethestation and my personal link is on that page.

Woohooeee!!!

Lisa
Bam Bam
new
new

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:18 am

mouse wrote:
foolscapfire wrote:I'm a female drummer. my band's space is myspace.com/foolscapfire. I don't think I'm a great drummer, sometimes I think I try to do to much because I began as a strictly punk rock drummer and kinda taught myself(no lessons or help from anyone). So I didn't get a lot of the basics that I needed....now I'm working on those so it's like learning to play backwards. I always feel intimidated by most male drummers, and I go to see a lot of live bands so I get intimidated a lot....but then I'll see a male drummer who isn't even as good as me and(I know it sounds mean) but it makes me feel better. I wish that I didn't feel like my drumming will always be inferior to most male drummers. Maybe someday I won't. I do know that I started at the age of 28, whereas most guys I know started at around age 14, so I have an EXCUSE!. I don't like being referred to as a chick drummer, or playing a show because they want to book a band with a chick drummer, I just would like to be appreciated as a drummer..period, even though I think I have a long way to go in the skills department. that's all. whoooo long ass post! tori castellano from the donnas is one of my favorite drummers ever!

word of advice from one female drummer to another- play on the fact your female!!!!!! It's a great way for getting your band noticed and remembered. Even if you hate it, use it to your advantage!!! You'll get more than you think... :wink: 8)

Sarah x

Im sorry but that is really awful advice that will lose you respect in the long run... If you're really interested in being a drummer and a musician you should use your drumming and music to get noticed.
Cloth
new
new

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:44 pm

Completely agree with Bam Bam....if you use your gender then you will never be taken seriously as a musician.
Drums:Mapex M Birch and Premier APK (double bass)
Cymbals: Paiste
Heads (toms): Evans G2 coated
Heads (snare): Remo Emperor X
Heads (bass) : Remo Powerstroke 3
Sticks: Zildjian Antivibes 5A
Band: http://www.myspace.com/darkestate
fashioned
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:11 pm

phoenix7289 wrote:
fashioned wrote:thats just an opinion.

Good thing you recognized that. But come on, we don't want any fights, so stop yelling at me for stating my opinions... FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

i'm not yelling, just discussing.
mouse
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:33 am

Bam Bam wrote:
mouse wrote:

Sarah x

Im sorry but that is really awful advice that will lose you respect in the long run... If you're really interested in being a drummer and a musician you should use your drumming and music to get noticed.

one can not understand sarcasm when one sees it then, I take it? lol :roll:

unfortunately it is based on an element of truth. You can never really be taken seriously as a drummer because you're always described as a 'female' drummer, rather than just a drummer. This thread proves it. How often do you see 'male' drummer threads? It's not a defining factor for the male side of the species.

And anyway, you can play on it. If it's something that makes you different and stand out from the rest, why not use it to your advantage? Unique selling point and all that 8)

Sarah x
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:04 am

hansmit41 wrote:Female drummer here! add me if you have myspace and please check out my band, we are actually good! dont believe me?

www.myspace.com/thebandcalledaka

www.myspace.com/drummerhannah

you guys are really good. different from a lot of bands out there today. i like your choice of Paiste hi-hats as well.
Beat on.
Bam Bam
new
new

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:18 am

mouse wrote:
Bam Bam wrote:
mouse wrote:

Sarah x

one can not understand sarcasm when one sees it then, I take it? lol :roll:

unfortunately it is based on an element of truth. You can never really be taken seriously as a drummer because you're always described as a 'female' drummer, rather than just a drummer. This thread proves it. How often do you see 'male' drummer threads? It's not a defining factor for the male side of the species.

And anyway, you can play on it. If it's something that makes you different and stand out from the rest, why not use it to your advantage? Unique selling point and all that 8)

Sarah x

Sure I recognise saracasm, you just didnt appear to be using any!
Yeah sure you dont see any "male" drummer threads, and yeah, if you are a girl then you're generally lumped into a "female drummer" category. Unfortunately changing stereotypes doesnt happen that quickly... give it 50 years and there will be just as many famous/good/whatever female drummers as there are male and no-one will give it a second thought.
Its just my opinion at the end of the day but i dislike playing on something that seems so unimportant as gender... ah fuck it everyone should do things their own way... whatevaz!