I met Shannon Larkin the other night...

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Timekeep69

Post Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:26 pm

from Godsmack. I always thought he was a great drummer. He put on a great show but when I talked to him after the show, I don't konw if he was drunk or tired but it was like talking to Jeff Spicoli.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Adonis2121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:36 am

He was probably wasted, hes bad ass though.
myspace.com/charettamusic
drums-Drum Workshop Lavender to Black Burst w/black hardware
cymbals-Anything that sounds good!
pedals-DW 9002
Hardware-DW
sticks-Vic Firth 5A (endorser)
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:11 pm

I used to love Godsmack but after Awake I stopped listening. Larkin is a very good drummer though. Much MUCH more aggresive than Tommy Stewart.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
Adonis2121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:44 pm

masonvonritchie wrote:I used to love Godsmack but after Awake I stopped listening. Larkin is a very good drummer though. Much MUCH more aggresive than Tommy Stewart.

Actually I didnt like Tommy Stewart at first because he seem mechanical , then I saw a Vid of them live in concert and he was killer!
I liked him after that. Hes also pretty good with Lo-Pro, his new band.
pedals-DW 9002
Hardware-DW
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:27 pm

I've never listened to Lo-pro but i've heard they're pretty good. I actually hated godsmack when i first heard of them because i thought they were a complete rip off of alice in chains, which they pretty much are. but i listened to the whole album, went to a concert and after that i loved them... until Faceless came out.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
screamkevin

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:11 pm

Remember, though, kids, that Tommy never played on the first 2 Godsmack albums. He joined the band in time for their first headlining tour.

The drums on the first 2 Godsmack albums were played by Sully Erna, Godsmack's original drummer and lead singer.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
Adonis2121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:16 am

masonvonritchie wrote:I've never listened to Lo-pro but i've heard they're pretty good. I actually hated godsmack when i first heard of them because i thought they were a complete rip off of alice in chains, which they pretty much are. but i listened to the whole album, went to a concert and after that i loved them... until Faceless came out.

They have a myspace
http://www.myspace.com/lopromusic
pedals-DW 9002
Hardware-DW
NWCrusher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:59 am

I've seen both drummers, and I was partial to Tommy Stewart. He had a strong attack, and pocket. While Shannon Larkin is good, he possesses a loose, spastic type approach that lacked a bit in the power department.

I saw Shannon not only in Wrathchild america, but also Candlebox, and he's just too loose for my liking.

It's probably just a matter of preferrence, but I favored Tommys power. Tommy has also been drumming for the band Fuel.
REVEREND_HUDSON
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:34 pm

I have been a fan of Larkin's for some years. Dude is insane. Not only do I like his drum sound these days, I liked his work in Wrathchild etc. Loose? Sure, but I weight feeling over technicalprowess anyday. The same reason I like Jimmy Page over Yngwie Malmstein......
lordjohn82
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:35 pm

larking was awesome with wrath child america

he was the main inspiration for chris adler, as well as others
Work your ass off...
Then get a new ass and work some more!!!

92% of teenagers switch to rap music, If you are part of the other 8% add this to your signature!!
Multibomber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:42 pm

I got news for you guys: On their albums, Shannon and Tommy played whatever Sully told them to play, period no questions asked. Every snare, kick, and cymbal had to be approved by Sully before it went on the tracks. That being said, I liked Shannon's live performances better. Saw them with Metallica 4 years ago and they literally out-Metallica-ed Metallica.

Lars is too shitty now. Boy did they sound amazing with Joey Jordison at the 2005 Download Festival
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:48 am

Multibomber wrote:I got news for you guys: On their albums, Shannon and Tommy played whatever Sully told them to play, period no questions asked. Every snare, kick, and cymbal had to be approved by Sully before it went on the tracks. That being said, I liked Shannon's live performances better. Saw them with Metallica 4 years ago and they literally out-Metallica-ed Metallica.

Lars is too shitty now. Boy did they sound amazing with Joey Jordison at the 2005 Download Festival

YYEEEE HAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!

We found yet another way to turn a thread into a Lars bashing party!!!!!

:wink: :wink:
yee freakin' haw
Timekeep69

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:51 am

SmellsLikeIan wrote:
Multibomber wrote:I got news for you guys: On their albums, Shannon and Tommy played whatever Sully told them to play, period no questions asked. Every snare, kick, and cymbal had to be approved by Sully before it went on the tracks. That being said, I liked Shannon's live performances better. Saw them with Metallica 4 years ago and they literally out-Metallica-ed Metallica.

YYEEEE HAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!

We found yet another way to turn a thread into a Lars bashing party!!!!!

:wink: :wink:

Really, the saddest part is that this thread is from over a year ago.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:40 am

I thought I recognized it!
yee freakin' haw
EOTE_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:50 pm

Timekeep69 wrote:from Godsmack. I always thought he was a great drummer. He put on a great show but when I talked to him after the show, I don't konw if he was drunk or tired but it was like talking to Jeff Spicoli.

holy crap me 2! i actually got one 2 post about it!!! he wasnt playing with godsmack though, it was a side project band called "Another Animal", which consists of all the members of godsmack except a different lead singer. they opened for Alter Bridge (RAPED!! GO SCOTT PHILLIPS!!!) and they did a fantastic job. shanon was really fun to watch live. and if you havent seen Another Animal, i would suggest to check em out!
PDP, Tama, and Pearl Drums
DW, Pearl, and Gibraltar Hardware
Sabian, Zildjian, and Saluda Cymbals

www.myspace.com/EOTEband