What heads for birch drums?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

tubbs
new
new

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:25 am

You know, it's really a personal choice. I have never liked Remo heads, simply for the fact that they are weak and they don't last when you are out on the road traveling. Now, on the other hand, if you are on the road and you need an emergency replacement, chances are, you will only be able to find Remo products. The way they glue their heads into the ring is what really bothers me. Aquarian actually builds the head into the rim, so it is locked and there is no need for stretching to break a seal. Like I said though, it's a personal choice. If the emperor sounds and plays the way you want it, then get after it. The only time a choice in heads really matters is when you are endorsing a specific product. Some people find something they like and stick to it. It's just like the question posted about sticks that people use. Like I said also, if you know how to tune, it doesn't matter what heads you are using. When you hit that sweet spot, you'll know.
TheRhythmest
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:37 pm

Qbs wrote:I'm using a 12x9 Premier Artist Birch tom. Currently it has Evans G1 coated on top and Evans Resonant on the bottom side. The problem is that I find the sound too bright for my liking - I suppose that birch drums should sound bright but I really miss that warm punch and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on heads which would help to make the sound darker. I'm thinking Evans EC2?

I see your plea ...try an Evans G2 it's thicker more focused and if you need help? www.evansdrums.com go to drumkits and find the g2 it will have grid for sound scroll over the g2 icon and that should help.I own a recording custom and a hip gig jr and both have them on it . And I have tryed others but for the bang? G2 coated for studio and G2 clear for live good luck

Grant therhythmest

:roll:
Fudman
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:35 pm

I say if you want a warm punch with not tomuch ring get the Evans hydraulics. just got a set for my birch kit the sound is great.
It's like stupid in stereo.
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:11 pm

I have just sold my Premier Artist Birch heritage jazz kit,m which I used for both jazz and light rock with various heads.

Remo Everplay for the jazz, and swapped to Pinstripes for soft rock.

The Everplay heads sung beautifully and with a great tone. But the punch the Birch shells had with Pinstripes was incredible! (It was only a small be-bop kit)

As for resonants, i kept the Everplay heads on for both styles.
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:32 pm

TheRhythmest wrote:I see your plea ...try an Evans G2 it's thicker more focused and if you need help? www.evansdrums.com go to drumkits and find the g2 it will have grid for sound scroll over the g2 icon and that should help.

exactly :) I've used that grid to get my G1 :) according to the grid the Hydraulics would be perfect in terms of the "warmnes" but than again the J1 are the most "open" :)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
racefan33
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:14 pm

I've strugled with trying to get a birch kit to sound warmer for years. I finally settled on using Remo clear Emperors on top and clear Ambassodors on the bottom. You have to tune the top head lower than the bottom.
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:23 pm

I tune my drums this way always - top lower then the bottom :) for me it's the best way of gettin a drum to really "sing" :)
thanks for the head advice
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:30 pm

currently for my birch kit im using G2's top g1's bottom and i still havent found a sound im happy with. been giving a hint to match both top and bottoms heads ie G1 t/b gives your toms the best sound. but i prefere 2ply on batter. i dunno im just happy i suppose to experiment as much as possible.

heard instead of using 7mil sng ply on the bottom for resonant head to use a 10milply any boday ever done this ?? whats your views??
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:38 pm

this just in :) I may come to an alternative solution - there is a sligh possiblity that I will change my crappy Artist Birch tom to a Pearl Session DX tom :) I'm soo looking forward to it :D
racefan33
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:37 pm

Qbs wrote:this just in :) I may come to an alternative solution - there is a sligh possiblity that I will change my crappy Artist Birch tom to a Pearl Session DX tom :) I'm soo looking forward to it :D

I too got sick of trying to get a warmer/rounder sound out of my Pearl drums and I couldn't swing the money for the DWs I wanted so after some research I got a Maple Pacific kit and they sound great. I've gotten A LOT of feed back that they sound great also.
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:06 pm

I personaly don't like DW - they sound too bright for my taste
racefan33
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:57 am

Qbs wrote:I personaly don't like DW - they sound too bright for my taste

Now, I say this with the most respect possible but ARE YOU HIGH?!?!? The reason DW drums have become so respected and wanted is because of their warm, round, full sound. I can't think of a deeper sounding set of drums other than a custom set with extra deep shells.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:52 am

Have you tried mapex Saturn Pro? I've played a collectors maple kit and my set (same sizes) has more warmth, more air and bottom end.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:35 pm

racefan33 wrote:

Now, I say this with the most respect possible but ARE YOU HIGH?!?!? The reason DW drums have become so respected and wanted is because of their warm, round, full sound. I can't think of a deeper sounding set of drums other than a custom set with extra deep shells.

no I'm not :) as far as warmness etc. goes my choice is Pearl MMX. I don't mean that DW sound as bright as lets say some birch drums do but to my ears they're brighter than pearl masters - a matter of personal taste I believe...
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:30 pm

racefan33 wrote:

It's all a matter of opinion and taste. Personally, I am not interested in DW at all. I actually think they are the most overated drums of the past 30 years. I will say their public relations and advertising departments are great. The advertising and the hype they generate is incredible.

As for heads for birch drums? If warmth is required, I'd recomend coated emperors with ambassador reso's.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones