Metal vs. wood snare

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

metal vs. wood snares

metal
38%
wood
62%

Total votes: 42
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:24 pm

Honestly, if I can put some decent heads on it and tune it up, just about any snare will work for me.

It really does depend on what I'm playing. Sometimes I want more ringing, other times I just need it loud as hell. I'd really like to get ahold of one of those 50-ply(or something like that) maple snares.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:02 pm

quikstang2 wrote:Honestly, if I can put some decent heads on it and tune it up, just about any snare will work for me.

It really does depend on what I'm playing. Sometimes I want more ringing, other times I just need it loud as hell. I'd really like to get ahold of one of those 50-ply(or something like that) maple snares.
Pearl reference series snares are 20 ply...awesome!!! :shock:
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
drumrdave
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:45 pm

Honestly, I switch snares a LOT. Between sizes, head and snare selections and tensions, you can change a LOT about the tone of the drum before you even get to shell material. Recently, all of my wooden snares (2 maple, 1 birch) have been collecting dust. I've found myself sticking with 2 of my metal snares: a 4.75x14 Noble and Cooley (Custome alloy classic) as my primary and a 5x12 Tama (yes, the Portnoy) as my aux.
JohnRobMHIM
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:48 pm

I've always preferred metal to wood, although I'm about to order a 7x14 8ply maple shell from Dorsia drums.

I think that size/thickness/material will give me a good crack, and with the 7" deep you'll be able to feel it, which is mostly what I want.

I still don't think there's any substitute for a 6.5x14 supra tho. =D they could only improve on it by making it deeper.

Although my taste in snare drums isn't congruent with most peoples. I'd rather have a sensitive medium pitch drum that you can feel when you lay into it, instead of something that makes your ears bleed.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:40 am

I like all types. I don't care what material is used as long as the sound suits the music. If one's budget precluded any more than one snare, I'd recomend bronze or brass because these metals have characteristics similar to both wood and metal.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
insaneshayne
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:40 pm

Hmmm, I'm split 50/50 on this one. Currently I'm playing an old 6.5 x 14 Maple Ludwig with cast rims and it's got a great crack, but every now and then I'll switch out to a 6.5 x 14 Brass Slingerland 12-lug to get that metal pang. It just depends on the mood and the music style.
But the old 15x14 Slingerland Marching Snare (Maple) is great for a solid deep crack when I'm in the need for a good deep warm snare tone....