Metal vs. wood snare

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

metal vs. wood snares

metal
38%
wood
62%

Total votes: 42
drumdug
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:38 am

I just purchased a Mapex Pro Series Maple Snare 14x6.5 and I love it. Very warm sounding and alot of punch.
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:10 am

I currently use a maple snare and I'm in love with it. I like the warmth of wooden snares but I must say I'd love to own a brass snare...
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:35 am

paul89 wrote:I prefer wooden snare :) I like warm and very concentraded sound. But I don't tell that wooden is better than metal snare :) Depends also ,what species of music do you play :P

No further comments; I totally agree with you!
ImageImageImage
mattkinel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:31 pm

Acrylic snares have there place. They have NO tone, but there volume is second to none and they have tons of crack. I played a Tempus fiberglass snare, actually a whole kit, and it sounds AMAZING! Dosent sound a bit like acrylic, its warm has a very woody sound and has the durability of acrylic.

I personally thing wood and metal snares cannot be compared. There sound characteristics are uncomparable. You cant get the warm woody sound out of a metal drum that you can out of a wood drum, its just impossible!

I guess the question could be changed to What snare material do you use under your normal playing circumstances, and which material would you use under what circumstance/musical genre.

To answer my own question, under normal playing I play a metal snare, but with the vintage style thick heavy hoops, to get a warmer, woodyer sound out of the metal shell. I would switch to a wooden snare when I want a crack, pop, loose sound, tight sound, or for special effects. I think if I could only own 1 snare, it would be a metal snare. I just get bored with the sound of a metal snare because its pretty predictable. I love wood snare drums for color, flavor, and not for practical uses but for personal enjoyment.

Well, I guess I didnt answer the first question asked, and my rambling probally dosent make much sence but, whatever, it made sence when I first thought of it

a very tired, matt kinel
-Matt Kinel

Vintage Ludwig Stainless Steel Bonham Set
Paiste Giant Beats and 2002 Cymbals
Vintage Ludwig Hercules and Atlas Hardware
Speed King Pedal, Supraphonic Snare
Remo Heads, Coated
Bigd11
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:09 pm

I love the harsh attack of a good tight 14x4 brass snare, ive tried wooden snares but i have to say that for me, metal will always be better for me
Heresy! \M/
Bigd11
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:12 pm

Im currently using a Marvin smith signature which is 14x4 Copper and i love it so so so much, but when i got my new kit i got a 15x5.5 maple and i cant seem to get a decent sound out f it that i like, ive played a couple gigs but i love the harsh attack metal gives
Heresy! \M/
Jesman71
new
new

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:35 am

I like both ! I have a chambers sig , and a reference brass 61/2 x 14
I love both !
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:56 am

well. my personal oppinion is both. i have a 5.5x14 metal snare. i like it but the ring is a lil wierd. i also love wood snares. especialy 7x14. i may be the only to say this. but i LOVE a nice 7x14 or 7x13 acrylic snare. its all in personal choice. i like having a wood AND metal snare on my kit that way i can use either/or
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:17 pm

I can't pick just one, I have a metal 5.5x14 Ludwig snare that I've had for almost 13 years that I love, but just recently, I built a wooden snare and it sounds equally amazing.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads
Cheapskate
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:46 pm

I just switched from a Pearl ultracast (14 x6.5) to a Pearl vinnie Paul maples snare that is 14x8

after a few weeks on the paul I miss the crack of my alluminum ultracast.. the paul is loud and very warm and woody which is nice but I play loud trashy hard rock and the so theres no real need for anything but volume, tone and crack..

so I think the paul is great and sounds just like you'd expect a maple tree stump to sound like, but the ultracast really was the warmest loudest snare I've had, and at this point the paul wasn't really offering me anything I didn't allready have, except the true woodyness of a maple, which I would gladly trade for the projection and crack of metal
provided there was enough warmth and tone to match..and there is

also the bandmates seem to be able to tolerate the Paul much more than the ultra

..and that cant be good
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:53 pm

I love the olive badge Ludwig Alcrolite aluminum snare,the Black Beauty....but,I have a Pearl ELX maple snare that ripps-ass!!!

Evans Ec2 reverse dot,cranked up 3 turns each lug(ie;tight!),1 1/4 turn on the reso head,strainer so tight I have to use both hands to activate it....Sounds like a mix between a marching snare and a HH brass snare.....cool shit. :twisted:

I could not have my snare miked and you'd not know the difference. :!:
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:15 pm

downshifter99 wrote:I have a Pearl ELX maple snare

As far as I know ELXs are poplar :)
dim my eyes if they should compromise
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:53 pm

most of the guys(drummers,techs,ect..)that here my snare freak out on the massive sound I get out of it.I am 100% satisfied with my snare.Metal/wood/acrylic...whatever,it's all in the tuning. :idea:
Mad_cow
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:08 pm

I would say Steel,
When I bought my Peal kit, I got a wooden snare with it, I played it for about 1 month and I don't know why it just sounded horrible too me, so I switched back to my old no-name steel snare,

downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:17 pm

Mad_cow wrote:I would say Steel,
When I bought my Peal kit, I got a wooden snare with it, I played it for about 1 month and I don't know why it just sounded horrible too me, so I switched back to my old no-name steel snare,
Head combo & tuning...it truly don't matter what kind of drum it is. :idea: