BEST snare sound ever recorded

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Jakee37
new
new

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:52 pm

Pantera's Vinnie Paul all albums from 1981
Has some real power to it.
Elliottina
new
new

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:17 pm

for me this is no contest...i know this is probably not going to be a popular answer, as its very not 'main stream' but check out Scott Underwood's drum sound on his band 'Train's self titled first album. The drum sound in genral on that is just amazing!

Elliott.
huijibo
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:34 pm

Stay together for the kids - Blink 182.

The piccolo in that is amazing
Dont be n00b
laterZZ
Jon_Skaggs
new
new

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:43 pm

I have always been drawn to Vinnie Colauta's snare on Sting's albums "Ten Summoner's Tales" and "Mercury Falling" .. mostly due to producer Hugh Padgam. His use of 2" tape and the natural compression it gives to any drum kit. But Vinnie just hits so consistent. I heard he is a fan of the gated reverb effect in the studio. It doesn't matter really. If a drummer rim shots, hits the snare sweet spot, tunes his snare right, and hits fairly hard. The engineer will get the right sound to to EQ, compress, and mix it right in post production. I teched for Vinnie one time.. and it basically blew my mind that he hits harder than any rock drummer I've ever heard and he plays traditional grip. I guess it's due to all the years of playing loud in the studio.. and getting great sounds over the years.

Definitely an Alex Van Halen fan.. you can tell the difference in sounds from the 80's to the 90's .. especially when Van Halen started using their own 5150 studios and Andy Johns produced For unlawful carnal knowledge .. That snare made me want to play rock.

Of course bonham on "when the levee breaks" and "Black Dog" and anything else actually..

These guys played real snare sounds... now we're beginning to hear replaced "triggered" sounds more and more. It depends on the producer and/or mixing engineer. Just listen to Josh Freese on the new Daughtry record .. Great drummer.. but Tom Lord Alge replaced about everything on his drums. So .. how bout those Pearl Exports sounding like your $5,000 dream kit. It's pretty much a reality in digital recording.
PatternsInTheIvy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:10 pm

I would say Danney Carey's on vicarious sounds like...the best. Also, I love Martin Lopez' snare in Ghost Reveries and Still Life
drummer4thefreaks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:34 pm

PatternsInTheIvy wrote:I would say Danney Carey's on vicarious sounds like...the best.

I agree. :D

Personally I liked the two Black Panthers that Nick D'Virgillio used on Spock's Beard's 'V' album. one was a 14 X 5 1/2 and one was a 14 x 5.

one thing is for sure, they sounded pretty niiiiiiiice.
zharil
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:19 pm

Scotto123 wrote:I'll have to give this to Bonham on Led Zep II, Mike Portnoy on Scenes from a Memory, and Vinnie Colauita's Snare....amazing.
:lol:
who discover that we could get milk from cows..
and what was he thinking at that time..????!!
golfchance
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:09 pm

"So This Is Love?" by Van Halen. The snare sound on that song is so amazing to me, it never ever fails to put a smile on my face. Listen to the way it just sings out, especially at the beginning of the song right before the vocals come in.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:26 pm

drummer4thefreaks wrote:
PatternsInTheIvy wrote:I would say Danney Carey's on vicarious sounds like...the best.

Personally I liked the two Black Panthers that Nick D'Virgillio used on Spock's Beard's 'V' album. one was a 14 X 5 1/2 and one was a 14 x 5.

two thumbs up for mentioning Spock's Beard. :D
Beat on.
dark_realm
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:17 pm

muse - new born - awesome snare...
Timekeep69

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:53 am

I can't honestly say that I've ever listened to a song and thought "That snare sounds great!"
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
drummer4thefreaks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:07 pm

break the prism wrote:
drummer4thefreaks wrote:

two thumbs up for mentioning Spock's Beard. :D

:D *returns the thumbs* I'm going to see them on May 13th! :D
JC Wonder
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:25 am

Has any of you guys ever heard a band called <b>doubleDrive</b>? The overall drum sound on their first recording, "1000 Yard Stares" was amazing! The first track, "Belief System" starts with drummer Mike Froedge doing a simple linear pattern before the track starts and to my taste it's one of the best drum sounds ever recorded. I think the the snare has more crack than my grandma but full of tone and full-bodied.
DrummerByron
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:09 am

I almost forgot Tony Thompson from Power Station (an 80' rock supergroup with Robert Palmer - Vocalist, Andy Taylor - Guitarist, and John Taylor - Bassist.) Tony also played with Chic and David Bowie (on his 1983 Let's Dance album and subsequent Serious Moonlight tour).
He was a great drummer with a heavy sound. He even played with the remaining members of Led Zep on a reunion tour in 1986.
If you havent heard his stuff, you should check him out.
slingerland66
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:26 pm

jimmy chamberlin- Smashing pumpkins "tonight tonight"

Chad Sexton- 311 GRASSROOTS

Buddy rich's Radio King snare!

Bonzo- Zeppelin "when the levee breaks" He always had an odd way of recording his drums IE micing the drum then having another mic a few feet away... or something..
Use vintage drums with vented snares for the best of both worlds.