BEST snare sound ever recorded

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

drum2you
new
new

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:53 pm

You always knew it was Van Halen as soon as you heard that snare crack. Bonham could have made a Radio Flyer snare sound good.
phee
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:32 am

Good call on Josh Freese. The first A Perfect Circle album has a beautiful snare sound, and while they are mixed low, the toms on that album are the best I've heard. Along with that album, my favorite snare sounds are:

Dream Thater's Awake album

Guns & Roses Use Your Illusion albums

Pretty much any Tommy Lee recordings

Fireflight's The Healing of Harms gets an honorable mention, haha

Basically, anything that has medium pitch, no or little compression, some gated reverb, killer attack, and pure open tone. Never trigger/digitally alter the snare!!!!!!

I totally agree that the snare sound is completely controlled by the engineer/producer unless you are a household name in the drumming world or unless the producer/engineer just doesn't know what he is doing and has to ask you how it's supposed to sound.
Mid Youth Crisis
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:57 am

Uhhh, i mostly prefer super tight sounding snares.
Loved Brooks Wackerman on Suicidal Tendencies album "Freedumb". Anything by Chad Sexton (311), Jon Theodore (ex The Mars Volta), Tim Alexander (Primus, Attention Defecit etc..), Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Jose Pasilias(sp?)(Incubus), John Dolmayan (SOAD) and of course, Virgil Donati.
Id have a list a mile long if i could think clearer right now.
That should do tho.
"Have you heard...Have you listened lately?"
Tank
new
new

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:01 pm

John Stanier of Helmet on Meantime and Betty
mattkinel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:21 am

I love Neil Pearts black slingerland that he has used on almost every album. Who dosent like Bonham's snare? Thats whay I play.

P.S. The secret to Bonhams snare tuning, here it is -
Coated emperor batter, and the resonant side is a coated ambassador, just liek what you would use on a tom. Put on the 42 strand snares to cut through the thick bottom head and tune the drum like a tom, medium tight top, and the bottom head tuned tighter than the top. You do need to break in the heads on both side, and have the 42 strand snares wear through the coating on the ambassador head. Try it out and youll see it sounds exactly like Bonzo.

-Matt
-Matt Kinel

Vintage Ludwig Stainless Steel Bonham Set
Paiste Giant Beats and 2002 Cymbals
Vintage Ludwig Hercules and Atlas Hardware
Speed King Pedal, Supraphonic Snare
Remo Heads, Coated
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:21 am

Last edited by Dale on Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
draconic
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:45 pm

travis barker on 'take off your pants and jacket', carter beauford on 'before these crowded streets' abe cunningham on 'white pony', jose pasillas on 'a crow left of the murder', tim alexander on 'pork soda', dave abbruzzesse on 'vs', stewart copeland on 'synchronicity', matt chamberlain on 'from the choirgirl hotel'. to name a few.
life is good
mikebodrums
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:37 am

i like chad sexton of 311 snare, any of john bonham snares, carter beauford of dave mathews, and drummer from the band strata
zackman
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:05 pm

ben kweller's snare sound in the album sha sha was pretty awesome id have to say. i also enjoy the sound mark gajadhar gets out of his snare in all of the blood brothers' cds
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:12 pm

Shalaq wrote:I really liked the snare sound on At The Drive-Ins "Relationship of command".

Thts a gr8 snare :)
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:17 pm

draconic wrote:tim alexander on 'pork soda', stewart copeland on 'synchronicity',
Hell yes!!!!

and I love Tim Alexander's snare sound on Primus's "Tales from the Punchbowl"

and something about Billy Martin from MMW's sound is quite awesome too.

Buddy had a great sound with that nasty ass fibes snare he used & Dennis Chambers has a fercious snare sound always...DAMN!!!! tough question...forgot an honorable mention of Will Calhoun's snare sound on Cult of Personality...some reason that snare sound moves me. crap...forgot Elvin Jones...all the time!!!!
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:37 pm

Alex Van Halen..hands down the most consistant and best snare sound ever.

Who here cannot instantly recognize it when they hear it?
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
tamadrummer321
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:46 pm

Mike Portnoy-all albums!!!

Stewart Copland- spirits in the meterial world i just listen to this song becuase of the snare drum.. its weird though it somehows seems like his snare changes in differnt songs

Carter Beauford- listen to satelitte how could u not like that sound!!

Tim Alexander
TamaDrummer123
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:12 pm

I don't even know the album or the name of the guy, but Poison The Well's drummer's snare on the song Nerdy is nuts, It's not your typical snare sound, but I like it.
Tama Drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:22 pm

I've always been a huge fan of Steve Riley's snare sound on L.A. Guns' "Cocked and Loaded" record. LOADS of tone and depth but with enough crack to set it apart. If ya haven't heard it, give it a listen. Anyone know what snare/head config. he was using on that record?