BEST snare sound ever recorded

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

DrummerZ
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:45 am

I like Joey Jordison's snare and Vinnie Paul's snare. They both sound awesome.
I'M BACK!!!

Who cares. :D
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:17 pm

hmm..a few faves would be

jimmy chamberlain on siamese dream
any of the old stax recordings (al jackson)
john bonham on houses of the holy
ringo on abbey road
tony williams on any of the 60's miles davis quintet albums
lenny white on no mystery by return to forever
dale crover on any melvins record
bill bruford on his solo albums
airto on the first return to forever album
bill stevenson's snare on the descendents' All album
the snare sound the engineer got on my snare on Lovetron's Across the Grand Charade
rockon2112yyz
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:50 am

NWCrusher wrote:Denny Carmassi on Coverdale / Page

Joey Kramer on Aerosmiths 90's records

Troy Luccketta on Tesla's records

Jimmy D'anda on Bulletboys first two releases

Alex Van Halen, and John Bonham win the big prize.

Brian Wheat from Tesla owns his own studio in Sacramento. All the albums sound amazing because of the equipment and experience in there. Its really expensive but they can make anything sound good.
LeJayk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:33 am

I dunno, its hard to pick out a specific snare sound out of memory, but I have to say (from recent memory) Deftones - Around the Fur.

I heard Cunningham used a different snare on each song of that album, but the title track has a great sounding snare. I think I only really picked Deftones though because I've been listening to them so much lately. Great drummer, great kit sound.
jaundiced
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:09 pm

George Kollias on Nile's "Ithyphallic". It's hard to tell at 270bpm, but if you listen closely, boy is it a nice snare
blasting tools provided by Trick drums and pedals, paiste cymbals, Hornets drumsticks
firstname.lastname
new
new

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:21 pm

Aaron Comess on Pocket full of Kryptonite. I my opinion its the best snare sound i have heard. Its well recorded and has awesome bite.

But then i will say that any drummer recorded that uses Rimshots for high and medium dynamic levels will sound awesome. Rimshots make a snare sound.
Word.
josdrummer08
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:54 pm

i liked guns n roses snare cuz it sounds so strong
GEDDYBASS
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:11 pm

you got to listen to Jeff Becks, blow by blow, the freeway jam, i know most of you are youngsters and probably never heard that tune, so if some on will go and listen to that snare and let me know what you think?
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:13 pm

+1 on Justin Foley
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
prowler029
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:07 am

Chad Kent from Atomship on the Crash of '47 album
especially on the song Whitfield!
"I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue..."

PDP FS
ZILDJIAN
VATER
EVANS EC2, EMAD 2, ST DRY
GEDDYBASS
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:39 am

has anyone hear the song yet (JEFF BECKS , album,BLOW BY BLOW / song,THE FREEWAY JAM
get back to me if some one hears it, and let me know what you think?
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:45 am

GEDDYBASS wrote:you got to listen to Jeff Becks, blow by blow, the freeway jam, i know most of you are youngsters and probably never heard that tune, so if some on will go and listen to that snare and let me know what you think?

ooh yeah. Richard Bailey has a very tasty snare sound.

I'm not sure if anyone's familiar, but he played a couple tracks on Brian Eno's "Nerve Net" album. 'What Actually Happened' has a seriously twisted syncopated groove that is further manipulated and effected by Eno. Reeallly cool. He also plays drums for Billy Ocean.
GEDDYBASS
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:32 am

*WOW* alan i never knew that, thaNKS for the info bud.
journeys song, *any way you want it*, has to be the worst snare i ever heard, the snare sounds like a flat tire (hehe), and smith is such a great drummer, i wonder how they suckered him into getting that sound(hehe)
wnat a good laugh alan, these are first time , first day only jams playing with these guys trying out rush songs, me on bass and taurus pedals(PLAYING WITH MY FEET)
http://www.geocities.com/geddybasslik/
BR523
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:42 pm

Man, this thread is awesome. I'm a sucker for awesome snare recordings. Sometimes I'll listen to something where alot of the other aspects of the music sucks, but as long as it has a killer snare tone I can tolerate it.

It's been said a few times, but my all time favorite is Chad Smith on Blood Sugar Sex Magic. I can't get enough of that tone, especially on "My Lovely Man," if I had to norrow it down to a single song. I read somewhere that he used a Black Beauty, but in that instructional video he released around the same time it looks like he's using some sort of piccolo. Also, he's been pretty inconsistent with his snare sound on releases after that. Like on Californication, I think it sounds like absolute poop. In Stadium Arcadium it sounds alot better, probably the best since BSSM, considering it was recorded by the same producer and in the same location.

Another great snare sound no one has mentioned - Jon Theodore on De-loused in the Comatorium by The Mars Volta.

I also agree with whoever said Steve Jordan on the John Mayer recordings, both live and studio
GEDDYBASS
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:03 pm

BR523
listen to the snare on Jeff Becks , blow by blow album, the freeway jam, tell me what you think????????
i'm listening to the ones you mentioned, let get back to you