Ride Cymbals....

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

RD Of DrummerWorld
new
new

Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:24 am

ViciousCircle5 wrote:Whats a good high end all purpose ride??? I play all styles of music, but i'm looking to get more into fusion/funk type stuff. I play one the bell alot. Any suggestions, personal advice???
Thanks!
Tim

Actually there is never a - so-called "All Purpose Ride"....but nearer to this...I highly recommend the Paiste New Signature Dark Energy Mark 1 Ride...it's a beautiful ride specially for FUSION STYLE
Music....

check it out.
DrummerWorld ! ... The No.1 Drum Forum In The World
Drummersefton
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:31 am

I use a 20" Z custom Heavy Ride, i only got it caus its cheap but i love it, used it for al sorts, sounds great, but A custom r proberly best "all rnd cymbal"
aSpurz62
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:16 am

Okay. You want a high-end-all-purpose ride, play all styles of music, but you're looking for a ride that leans more towards funk and/or fusion. AND you play on the bell a lot.

Well, I have a good suggestion but I'll probably get ripped apart for this. Hahaha. Joking...I hope... :(

I personally have experience with the Zildjian Avedis 20" Earth Ride. It's totally unlathed and unhammered. The ride is VERY heavy. This lends to great control, but you can make it loud if you want it. The wash of the cymbal sound is somewhat difficult to get up but it's there. The bell is large and in charge and has an excellent ping to it. The price for them isn't half-bad either. At roughly $200 you can't get much better in my opinion. The ride also comes with the option of a brilliant finish for no extra charge. That would lend a slightly higher pitch I believe.

In my experience this ride worked wonders for funk, rock, SOME jazz (but that's only because I like more wash when I play jazz) and some metal for the loud bell and overall sound.

But I can only give you advice into my personal insight. And only YOU can choose to take it in. I suggest that you go to a local retailer and try their rides out yourself. Take some of your cymbals too in order to make sure that they go well together.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Conor
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:27 am

zildjian sweet ride. its got a great bell, and it sounds great playin regular also. it makes a great crash too.
Pearl, Zildjian, Promark, Paiste
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:59 pm

RD Of DrummerWorld wrote:
ViciousCircle5 wrote:Whats a good high end all purpose ride??? I play all styles of music, but i'm looking to get more into fusion/funk type stuff. I play one the bell alot. Any suggestions, personal advice???
Thanks!
Tim

Actually there is never a - so-called "All Purpose Ride"....but nearer to this...I highly recommend the Paiste New Signature Dark Energy Mark 1 Ride...it's a beautiful ride specially for FUSION STYLE
Music....

check it out.

i can vouch for that. i just bought one used off of Ebay for $150. i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the price. these things go for over $300 new.
Beat on.
matt
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:49 pm

i use the zildjian A Custom 22" ping ride. sounds amazing what u do blasts on it. great stick definition. bell nice and loud. also good for crashing on.
RSmith
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:39 pm

I too have used a Earth Ride and it definly has a good hi ping sound to it. Perfect for recording although you can't crash em.
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:07 am

Thanks!
Tim

The best sounding ride cymbal that I have heard right off the shelf lately is the 21" Sabian HH Vintage Ride.
aSpurz62
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:22 am

RSmith wrote:I too have used a Earth Ride and it definly has a good hi ping sound to it. Perfect for recording although you can't crash em.

Ah. Yes that's something I forgot to mention.

You CAN crash 'em but it sounds more like a gong. :(
Luckily I like the sound.
Benhamin
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:19 am

securityknight wrote:Fusion/Funk?... Sabian HH Raw-Bell Dry Ride.

SecurityKnight

go with this guy
that cymbal rocks my balls