Ride Cymbals....

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

ViciousCircle5
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:43 pm

Whats a good high end all purpose ride??? I play all styles of music, but i'm looking to get more into fusion/funk type stuff. I play one the bell alot. Any suggestions, personal advice???
Thanks!
Tim
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:16 pm

If your'e looking for a multi-purpose ride, then every cymbal maker have a regular or medium ride- these rides are clean sounding, versatile and most of the time have a nice, sweet sounding bell. But it will be easier to guide you if you'd tell us what sound are you looking for. :)
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
KurtDrummer
new
new

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:20 am

maybe a 21" Ziljian Sweet Ryde :)

i use one of these, as well as a 21" Ziljian Rock Ryde :)
funkdrmr
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:26 am

I'm using Zildjian's Ping Ride. It's the only ride I have right now, but the bell is a little small.

I actually think the K Custom Dry Ride is pretty versatile. My teacher has one and he uses it for anything from jazz, fusion, to rock.
whitey1000
new
new

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:40 am

zildjian 21" rock ride. 10 years+, and i'll never use another.
\m/ K R I E G \m/
securityknight
new
new

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:41 am

Fusion/Funk?... Sabian HH Raw-Bell Dry Ride.

But you have to get out there and hit on them to know what your ear likes. NEVER buy cymbals online unless you REALLY know how that cymbal sounds and how consistant the line is. You must llisten to them in person. Be sure to take your other cymbals to see how they sound together...if they compliment. Hope this helps...

v/r

SecurityKnight
Benny J
new
new

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:16 am

hey guys! Just wanna recommend the 22" Paragon Ride... I love it.. its great for metal, jazz and funk... whatever your style... Great Ping from the bell and a great wash...

Cheers
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:27 am

If you are a fan of classic rock I would go for the 2002 ride because you probably like it and don't know you do. I do. ;-)

If you are younger and not a classic rock fan then I would go for the Siganture Full ride, it has a great bell sound and an even and controllable wash under it.

I use a Sigature Dry Heavy Ride and it has a grest bell and breast sound but is very hard to get the wash to come up. For me that is good because when I play I tend to hit too hard as it is and not having the wash take over keeps my ride from crashing out.
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
Juice_Terry
new
new

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:29 am

whitey1000 wrote:zildjian 21" rock ride. 10 years+, and i'll never use another.

I had a 21" rock ride too, bought it off this hippy for 80 quid in the early 90's,, he had it for about 5 years then I got another good hard 10 years out of it, when it cracked a little piece of me died.
:cry:
Oh well. Glad it was'nt a Paste, man do they love to crack, but sound so good.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:32 am

I have 2 rides. I only tend to use one depending on what I'm playing.

WIth my band I use an A Custom 20" Medium ride, it has a nice sounding bell, full bodied tone and nice stick definition but can also cut through the distortion on the guitars. It would be fine in a rock, funk setup.

I also have a K Custom 20" Dry Light Ride, which I love to bits! Didn't cut through the guitars in my band, hence why I bought the other one but sounds wicked for jazz and Funk. I actually prefer it for funk playing!
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:52 am

ill second the hh raw bell dry ride. i have one and its absolutely amazing. i play metal mostly and thats what my band plays but illl throw in some funk because i like the grooves and even with jazz, this ride works wonders. it has a bit of wash but less than most rides ive played and its bell is awesome...unlathed, raw, and brutal. i was never a bell person until i got this ride and now ill use it for accents just to use it.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
ChiefJustice
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:53 am

Theres only one Ride to play for you..

PAISTE 2002 22" RIDE!!!
(not heavy ride or mega bell etc ..just RIDE))

I play this for a long time in all styles of music from Rockabilly to Death Metal from Blues to a little bit Jazz
drummersabu
new
new

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:51 am

this may be what you looking for. Dude im so into the bell stuff as well and you know what. This rider has a Clear and Loud sound and The bell sounds Great and louder of course.

Fuck Zildgian and Sabian... I went to Guitar Center I tried everything they had and you know what... the sound was NOT even close to how great Paiste Signature Dry heavy Ride 21'

Try it for yourself and thank me later. I have that much confidence you'll like it BETTER than Zildgian and Sabian.

by the way..... can you show me some funk stuff music wise... I wanna hear what that about. I've hear of it but I cant really tell what the hell is funk and fusion

be well
DrumHead
new
new

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:19 pm

:lol: I use a 22'' Sabian power bell and i love it
wg93081
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:36 pm

I use 20' pAisTe 502 Ride! I was using a 22' pAisTe 404 Ride (I believe that what it is!!) but put it away. It's a nice sounding ride, but the overtones started to take over, and my 20' 502 Ride just has the right amount of warmth to it. Right now I'm looking into retiring that ride in favour of the Signature Dry or Earth Ride. I love those sounds they produce!!!
Will Geronimo
Drums, Cymbals, Percussion