Recording with a click

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:51 pm

I have always paid for my own recordings so I have never had to deal with a "Producer" I never will either. I will never let a recording company and publishing company take me for 75% of my music.

Thanks but no thanks.
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
luretimmy
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:33 pm

I have grown to like the click because it reminds me where the beat is. I don't like wearing headphones in any case though. I feel restricted.
ghost_note
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:37 am

I generally dont play to a click..
i play alot of off beats (playing on the up beats;1&3 instead of 2&4;ect...) so a click will just throw me off b/c ill pay attention to it instead of the song.
Binky...
"X" marks the spot
MikeRowland
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:59 am

Depends on the situation. With sessions, I almost exclusively use a click. Most of the time, I have little playing experience with the people I am working with, so using a click helps to set the foundation. However, with my main gig, we have been playing together for 5 years (and I've been with my bassist for about 8 years), and we have a good rapport. We use a click about half of the time. The other half of our music has multiple tempo and time signature chages, so it is a major pain in the ass to program a click. We just rehearse the individual parts to a click, and then woodshed the transitions, so that by the time we get to the studio, we have it down solid. Also, the guitarist uses a delay for several songs set with a tap to a dotted quarter, and he can't figure out how to save it, so those songs may have a varying tempo from show to show. Drives me insane, but what do you expect from a guitarist, lol?!
Crash101
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:16 am

you're gonna have a natural beat goin through your head anyway all you have to do is keep the click track in your head and you should have no problem letting the music breathe
if you're gonna rock then rock for the rock
kylevater wrote:my girlfriend doesnt mind me posting on dml
oh wait did i say girlfriend? i meant mom
torkid47
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:22 am

NWCrusher wrote:I generally request that I record my parts with just a guitarist for referrence, and the click, so I'm not fighting anyone elses "bad timing".

You should record with just the bass player. Drums & bass are the rhythm section and the building block for the rest of the band.
Some people have talent, I just practice every day.

Brian Ohh!
new
new

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:34 pm

I love playing with a click! I've recorded albums either way but I personally think a click is easier and makes you sound better. If you're playing more abstract music or something that has a lot of time changes then you're probably better off without one. Either way, do what makes you feel best while tracking the album. If you're not comfortable in the studio it will show through in the recording and people will hear it...especially drummers. Rock on!