Recording with a click

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

boombap11
new
new

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:44 pm

quote "The ol' excuse of the music being sterile is an excuse. If you know what your doing with a click in the studio, your in a win win situation. Once you've got the click down, you'll never want to go back to the "clicks suck" mentallity."

i do agree with you on the win win situation.however if you have 3 guys with outstanding time and 2 lacking a little then the click is your friend....it happens.no knock. but some just don't want to hear it.don't need too.
thats not saying the reason they don't want to hear is because "they don't know what to do with it." ??????
that might have been your revelation but not for all.people are different different strokes for defferent folks what works for some don't work for others the day i accepted that i became open to a vast community of knowledge.the very people that drove me musically taught me more than my favorites.medicine taste like dung but makes you well.we were all taught differently learn differently.some could say that using a click is a crutch.in a way their right but who's really right or wrong under the vast amount of circumstaces in the world of vast styles of music.it just is what it is.
good or bad-but to whose ears? posted with respect to the one i quoted-no knock.
YATTIE
bigbossman810
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:24 am

I think click tracks are a must in most situations. I can think of some situations and styles where it may be too restrictive, However, in almost all instances they are necessary. Pro drummers use them all the time.
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:23 pm

Click track + guitar player for reference = big smiles in the studio for me :]
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
CaseyofPropertyOf
new
new

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:15 pm

What I have done every time i have gone in the studio is have a Guitarist record a scratch track to the metronome and then I would record to that with a light metronome for reference.

Casey
Tama Rockstar 4 piece kit
Zildjian A Custom cymbals
dw 5000 Double bass pedals
Tama Hardware
Remo Emperial tom heads
Evans HD dry snare head
Aquarian Super Kick I Bass Head (resonant and batter)
clatterdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:21 pm

We always play to a click, whether we are recording or doing a gig. We use a sequencer live and so always have the click going. I love it and almost feel naked without it.
steveoverise
new
new

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:51 pm

ha i laugh at the guy that says you can speed up and slow down as long as everyone is together. live you might get away with it, but this guy obviously never recorded in a studio. Metronome is a must in the studio and live if you want your band to sound tight. There isnt anything i hate more then going to a show and watching a band that plays their songs three times as fast as the album or when the drummer changes tempo halfway through the song. The metronome shouldnt make your playing seem mechanical, really when your playing you shouldnt even hear it once you find the pocket.
makes
new
new

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:16 pm

I have recorded without a click only to be sorry we didnt have one later down the line. Alot of times we'll do a "hurry and get it down" type recording and forget about the click and alot of times that demo track will usually be the one. It all works until you want to add a loop or something or you have a nit picky piano player (haha) that cant play without a click.

Basically it all depends on what your doing. But I say clickit whenever it really means something.

Makes
changlab
new
new

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:18 pm

In studio situations, I have always used a click.
Live I haven't used one yet.
I've heard that some drummers have trouble using a click for me it has always seemed easy, almost too easy like cheeting.
But i like it.
If I'm playing some oddmeter stuff it helps me create a more interisting groove as I have a reference to workwith.
Chad Scott
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:19 pm

I enjoy using a click to learn my timing better! What I mean is I thought I had good timing, I did but only to the timing the song started...That usually was off by a little each time we played live--we always played faster..now I use a click to memorize my beat time--that way when I go live it starts at the proper time...I'm lots more consistant now!
just another drummer who wants to become better,learn more and play more than most..
if you can help please do!!
Chad Scott
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:38 pm

Chad Scott wrote:I enjoy using a click to learn my timing better! What I mean is I thought I had good timing, I do but only to the timing the song starts...That usually is off by a little each time we played live--we always play faster onstage..now I use a click to memorize my beat time--that way when I go live now it starts at the proper time...I'm soo much more consistant now! I am one that believes that a click doesn't make it mechanical-the player does--you can push and pull great with a click--it just helps to keep you in! It doesn't have to be restrictive either, just block it out until you need it , click can actually make your beats more creative because you can experiment inside of hundreds of perfect timing sequences!
just another drummer who wants to become better,learn more and play more than most..
if you can help please do!!
SkinBeater
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:54 pm

boombap11 wrote:i would have to say in my opinion...this really depends on the player.i personally find myself listening to the click more so than feeling the music like i want.
if the band is solid then the pulse of the song is implied so you can feel exactly where to lay in the pocket.i want the pocket of the song to feel as natural as possible.i'm not a fan of a click ....under a normal circumstance.

I agree.

I think it depends on what kind of sessions you are doing... in my case.. if we all are playing the basic rhythm section toger(ie. drums bass and rhythm guitar then solos later).. then i would vote NOT to use a click... if we all sync together on a good groove then we just flow... but in some cases i might put down a drum track to a pre-recorded guitar or bass track..that's when a click might be helpfull for me.
"Hold the red star proudly..."

Check out more vids at... www.myspace.com/shogun_warrior32
luretimmy
new
new

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:15 pm

I recorded to a click the last time I recorded because I needed the training for the band I am now with because we use Pro-Tools in our set and I play to a click track through in ear monitors on stage.
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:27 pm

I think it depends on what you're trying to achieve. Take it song by song, some situations require rock solid time, others it's nice to be able to breathe a bit.

When I record with my band we always use a click, mainly because we use electronics in a lot of tracks which are also set to a metronome and it all needs to tie in together.

My friend is in a 3 piece rock band. They don't ever use a click because the looseness they have is what gives them their appeal.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:30 pm

I have never recorded with a click track. For one my timing goes up and down so all it would do is piss me off. Whenever I record we just get the guitar and bass in my head phones and go from there.

I have had engineers ask me to use it but I said, "Nope" Some guys are like, " well you'll be off and it will make the song sound like shit". My response is, "If that was true then it sounded like shit before we got here."
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:22 pm

I've had a lot of friends, and met a lot more guys, who went to the studio and the producer/engineer/manager/whoever came up to them and basically said they were recording with a click track/metronome or they weren't going to record...and the money was already paid and non-refundable. All those guys told me it's a good idea to learn how to play with one beforehand so that you don't waste precious studio time struggleing to learn how to play with one and not doing half your fills or sick beats because you can't get comfortable enough to play them.
And if you don't have to play with one, then it's up to you.

I've seen a lot of guys use Casey's idea and come out very successful and that's what I plan on doing.

CaseyofPropertyOf wrote:What I have done every time i have gone in the studio is have a Guitarist record a scratch track to the metronome and then I would record to that with a light metronome for reference.

I haven't had to record this way yet, but this is all that I've been told.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)