Recording with a click

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:34 pm

Just wanted to know your opinions on whether to record with a click track/metronome or not. Do you let the music breathe or keep it within the click?
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
NWCrusher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:49 pm

I insist on recording with a click. Some bands can get away with it, but I like a good pulse. I like to play around it at times so it's not too mechanical, by pushing, or pulling (Denny Carmassi does this), but your still on track. I generally request that I record my parts with just a guitarist for referrence, and the click, so I'm not fighting anyone elses "bad timing".

What's good for one doesn't always work for others, but this has worked best for me, and I never hear any complaints from the engineers.

I generally find that hardcore insulters of the click are ones who can't play with them very well (I was one at one time :wink: ), but once you continually rehearse with one, it's not an issue.
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:15 pm

I can go either way. Depends on the track I suppose. Some tracks you really need to have that "safety net" but others like to breathe.

I did a session where the tune had click but it just got in the way of the mood and feeling. You can hear that track here

http://www.billraydrums.com/media/little_child.mp3

Here's another track that the click would have taken away from the mood:

http://www.billraydrums.com/media/ullswater_creek.mp3

And finally, a track that had click running throughout- the click served to "shore up" the center point of the groove.

http://www.billraydrums.com/media/runaways.mp3

The secret to keeping great time I've found is to listen to the vocalist. If they can sing comfortably and breathe between phrases then your job is done. Play the song. The rest takes care of itself!
m
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:28 pm

BillRayDrums wrote:Depends on the track

ditto. You should be able to do both; studio life will be so much easier...
Jaki
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:38 am

clicks make u play good lol... no good in playing sloppy
Pure Deaththrash
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:03 am

I'm going to the studio in February and I'm sure I'll be recording with metronome
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Jack Ruby
new
new

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:06 am

I think when trying to determine whether or not to use a click can be decided on a couple of different things.
A. What style of music is it? If it's rock, or funk, or even country-western, I think the click is very important. When I record I like no other tracking done, or atleast in my mix for my headphones. Just me and the click. Other instrumentation is just a pain. There is no sense in being given a click, and then having to fight another musician who can't play on time. I just assume, go in there, record my tracks and be done. If I mess up, than it's my mistake and nothing else outside the realm of me, is slowing me down.
If it's Jazz, I think the click is almost unneccessary. Jazz needs a loose feel. It needs tempo changes. It needs those elements to create that specific mood.
B. Is this a "live" recording? When I say "live" I just mean, is everyone playing and recording at the same time? Is this necessary for the recording to work? If it is, I think that live feel is almost better, so long as the band play ands feels each other, and are pretty tight about it. Some great bands of the past have done this, and their records are amazing.
There's no such thing as a normal life.
There's just life, and you live it.
Jaymoney
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:14 am

Everybody should have big ears meaning listen! its ok to speed up and slow down as long as everyone follows together.
boombap11
new
new

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:23 pm

i would have to say in my opinion...this really depends on the player.i personally find myself listening to the click more so than feeling the music like i want.
if the band is solid then the pulse of the song is implied so you can feel exactly where to lay in the pocket.i want the pocket of the song to feel as natural as possible.i'm not a fan of a click ....under a normal circumstance.
YATTIE
dahlgrendrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:13 pm

I use a click pretty exclusivly, I think my band has one song we don't do with a click, mainly because it has an odd time that would need to be subdivided at a 16th note level @200 BPM and it gets really ridgid sounding. I am pretty good at pushing and pulling the beat when needed, but with the technical stuff we do it's best to be right on top of the beat.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:52 pm

are there any pro studio situations these days that don't involve playing to a click? I thought it was pretty much standard practice now in the real world.
no?

(other than the above-mentioned circumstances- I mean. Like when you want a really loose feel or something)
boombap11
new
new

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:08 am

when i recorded with the allmon brothers bass player working on his solo project a click was the last thing on their minds.at that level you are expected to have good time.
if you speed a groove up it changes the feel and vice versa.
the feel of the song is the most important thing there is no matter what the style.it's still has to feel good to listen to.i've heard recordings where it sounds like the band was fighting to stay with the click and the feel was just not there.we don't hear the click on the radio.

now loops are used more and more even i use them on drum&bass stuff as well as dub-hip hop. the difference in that is that it is an actual piece of the music that helps the overall vibe in the feel of the song so it just feels more natural than a loud cowbell sound hacking away ,the loop has dynamics and changes. there is no right or wrong again i would have to say it's up to the band / musician.
YATTIE
cory1848
new
new

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:07 am

Playing to a click makes post production/adding in additional trakcs, fixing mistakes, a whole lot easier, especially when bands are on a small budget and cant take the time to replay the entire song to get one part right. Also, if parts are being recorded at different studios and married together, it makes the engineers life a lot easier as well.
"I am an explosives expert, if you see me running, try and keep up!"
Mistajohn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:47 pm

Record with a click. Everyone will love you.

Learn to record sans click, it will solve problems that arise.

You can do whatever you want, but in the cut throat world of studio gigs, I have never met a producer who didn't want a click underneath the track.

When I did a session for the LA Riot series, we recorded to several different click tempos. The CD produced then was organized by style and tempos. It was a tool for those who needed royalty-free drum tracks.

Learn to rock in both ways. Be a good jedi.
NWCrusher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:55 pm

As I said before,

NWCrusher wrote:I generally find that hardcore insulters of the click are ones who can't play with them very well (I was one at one time :wink: )

The ol' excuse of the music being sterile is an excuse. If you know what your doing with a click in the studio, your in a win win situation. Once you've got the click down, you'll never want to go back to the "clicks suck" mentallity.