What sticks do you use?

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

veerubio
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:48 am

I use promark 2b w/nylon tip. I like the ping i get on the ride. Plus i'm naturally a heavy hitter so light sticks feel strange to me.
Philsco
new
new

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:59 am

To keep it simple, I use Vic Firth 2B & 7A Nylon Tip, or (Powerpro) 747 Rock nylon tip. I love nylon tipped. I don't know why, but it just feels like a better balance in my hands than with a wood tip, but I do like the earthy sound of a wood tip on my 18" crashride.
Hey, it's me, That One Guy, over there with a machinegun.
Daddy Crush
new
new

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:59 am

I play with ProMark 727 Japanese Shira Kashi White Oak with nylon tips. I have found that I have to use an Oak stick as opposed to Hickory to get the sticks to last any decent amount of time. I'll typically burn through $30-$40 in sticks in a single one night show, and that's with the oaks! hahaha You could easily double that cost or more if I were to go back to Hickory sticks. I used to use the 747 Oaks with wood tips for the longest time, but finally grew too frustrated with constantly breaking and splintering the tips that I decided to go ahead and make the switch to nylon. I have never broken a nylon tip and I must say that they've gotten so much better now about glueing them on that I haven't had one go shooting off into my bass player in something like two years now. ;)

As for the stick size change, I had undergone surgery on my wrist and thumb (real fun for a working drummer! lol) and had gigs I had to cover with my hand still in a cast. I wasn't able to control the larger, heavier 747's very well so I tried out the 727's and found I could get the job done, cast and all. After healing, I kept toying around with the 727's and discovered that I was still getting the drive and power from my strokes, but with the slight trimming of weight my stick speed was noticably affected and I was much more in tune with moving through changes in dynamics. Having become accustomed to those heavy 747's, my hands were able to manipulate the 727's with much less muscular tiring at faster speeds, plus I was able to literally feel the difference when I came to a softer passage in a song and I had to pull things back a bit. Much easier to accomplish than with my heavier, longer 747's. So I stayed with them permanently.

But I must say, hearing all of you talk about the Vaters has me intrigued enough that I am considering picking up a few pairs to give them a test drive. I'm not disappointed in my 727 Oaks and don't anticipate switching, but just the same why miss out on an opportunity to explore? That's what we do, right? ;)

Peaces!
Crush <--newbie to the forums
Hear Crush Bash!
http://www.deltarage.net
www.drumthunder.com
mheatwole
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:35 am

Vater rock nylon. Love the feel and the sound.
fiduz
new
new

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:46 am

Pro Mark Charlie Adams Signature Series...good grip...for me..
Keep The Metal Heavy
CooknessMunster
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:52 am

Vic Firth Dave Weckell's Series w/ wood tips
drumbot
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:11 am

Vic Firth SD4combo
if it sounds good it is good
mcneal
new
new

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:49 am

I use Vater Fatback 3A nylons. They feel the best in my hand of any stick I have used. And the beefier shoulder gets me nice projection on my cymbals. Which are usually unmiked (no overheads) at bar gigs. Plus, the durability of Vater sticks cannot be beat, imho.
drum_bum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:16 am

prefer to use the AHEAD lars ulrich sig. sticks.good for heavy music because i found the shafts dont break that easy,and if they do,just replace them for a few bucks!
Or the vic firth 5a/b nylon tip i find are a reliable, strong stick to use as the AHEAD ones can feel a little heavy after a while..and if all else fails,pro mark are pretty good.can smash seven shades out of them and they wont break.. :lol:
Mapex M Birch kit
Zildjian cymbals
Evans G2 heads
Pro Mark sticks with vatar grip tape
DW double kick
Shaggy
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:38 am

I use Vater 5B's with the acorn tip. Pretty durable, and they have a good feel.
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:05 pm

pro mark neil peart oak 747s for anything rock. they sound great, they feel great, and they last forever.

steve gadd signature for lighter stuff. light as a feather and easy to control.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
Turi
new
new

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:25 pm

Qbs wrote:about 3 years ago I've found my perfect stick - Vater Steward Copeland Standart :)

wurd...
trauts_cire
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:10 pm

Vater 7A Wood Tip
Melvin
new
new

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:46 pm

i've used the ProMarks 707's for a while now, and its the perfect stick for me, its heavy, thin and has a nylon tip, GREAT sticks, check them out.
music = life
granny p
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:02 am

vic firth 55A- bit thicker and heavier than the 5A- perfect... and they last.. i also got vic firth brushes which have lasted yearss...
time to get funky, like a bow legged monkey