how often do you reconfigure your kit? Ever?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

m
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:43 pm

wondering what the average is?
Do you get things set where you like it and never move it again?
Or do you switch things around to see what happens?

I'm experimenting with totally reconfiguring, and I find the change is really challenging me and forcing me to think a little differently, which is breaking me out of a few mannerisms I fear I've fallen into over the past few years. I've got some downtime from gigging, so there's no rush to get it set- I can take my time and goof around to see what works and what doesn't. Never really tried this before, and I'm liking it. I've heard people recommend 'shaking things up' now and then, and I think I can see why...

how about you?
NWCrusher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:18 pm

I do it way too often, but it keeps me on my toes, and eliminates any boredom. Large drumsets are admired by show goers, but I like to see how much I can do with a small set, but make it visually impressive.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:28 pm

I change the set up a lot, just to test my flexibility on the set( I often excersise on a different set at home and play a practice with my band on a different set).
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Bicycle Repair Man
new
new

Post Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:37 pm

I never change anything, and as a result when its not in the right place I can tell. DW stands help with the locks, I have locks on the floor toms too. But it means other can set it up and get it pretty right.

I used to mess around with the set-up a lot, but I'm happy with what it is now.
CooknessMunster
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:28 am

I might get a tip from an instructor that sounds good....I'll try it but if I don't dig it I go back to what is comfortable.....The answer is never....I'm open minded to change but if it is not for me it is not for me
dutch
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:48 am

monthly, i get bored easy!
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:08 am

Wow....I tried putting a 2nd tom up on the rack for this tour and that lasted about a week.....It was a nice experiment but it reminded me of the fact that I play so much better with less distractions such as another voice up front that tempts me to overplay!

Aside from moving my ride cymbal over 1 or 2 inches that's about the most I reconfigure things. For about 8 years I've been on a 4pc. kit and that's pretty much all I need.

~B
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:59 am

I have my setup right where I like it. Sometimes I have to reconfigure because of space issues on some gigs! That sucks when you have no room to setup.
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
Demented Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:06 am

I used to re-configure all the time. Now my kit is just too damn big for that anymore. Having said that, I will be reconfiguring as soon as my 6" and 8" toms arrive.
Tama GRANSTAR in Nile Blue
PAISTE cymbals
9 pieces of percussion
8-sided Pearl ICON rack
Gilbraltar throne
AHEAD sticks
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:08 am

since I've found my perfect setup i try to change it very very rarely because I'm way to lazy :) as a result I have a very hard time playing on not my drums...
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:56 am

Qbs wrote:as a result I have a very hard time playing on not my drums...

that's my biggest concern, but I guess it's not too likely I'll have to...
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:07 am

I've been playing 1 up 2 down config for ever, I tried adding a second tom to one my kits a few months ago - it lasted about 2 hours, pointless for me.

I add in percussion stuff as the gig/session demands, but overall I can say what I've got to say on the sme, trusted set up.
Proud endorser of
HIGHWOOD DRUMS, PAISTE CYMBALS, SILVERFOX STICKS, BASKEY ACCESSORIES, DUALLIST PEDALS & HARDCASE CASES.
drummer_jim
new
new

Post Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:37 am

I actually have used the exact same set-up configuration for at least 12 years. The more comfortable I am with the set configuration the more fluidly I will play and I will "know" where things are without having to look. Allows for more eye contact with bandmates and the audience.
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:50 pm

i change minor things to improve my playing, like sometimes ill lower a cymbal a few inches so i can get to it faster and just things like that. the last time i did a major reconfig on my set was probably about 6 months ago when i went from offset to bass mounted toms...it was just a test to see what ride placement would be like when i expanded my set but the setup stuck and i really like it.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:23 pm

i just moved up from a four piece to a five piece with one mounted and two on the floor and i gotta say i love my expanded set up....i tried it with a tom on my right and a tom on my left but found i like two thundering fllor toms next to eacher to do nice fast licks on...i also have a 10 inch piccalo snare next to my hats.it works really good for what i need now but im thinking about putting it on my right side and maybe working on my left hand more on the hats...my left hand is not very efficient