33%
Axis Longboard Pedals
67%

Total votes: 15
Phantomdrummer87
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:35 am

I have always kept the strong mindset "To each drummer is his own", but one thing i cannot stand is when one drummer bashes his fellow percussionist for using a specific pedal. This situation happened to myself not long ago. I was criticized for not using Axis and staying with Iron Cobra pedals. I understand that Axis has a longer kick plate than most pedals, but to be honest Axis is made with Death/speed metal drummers in mind and i am a prog drummer. Yes I play alot of doubles in my band's new demo, but not any that would require blazing speeds which Axis offers. Again I believe it is personal Preference on which pedals you use and in the end it is all about the "feel", but I do not believe that someone should push you into buying a pedal that isn't "you". I am not trying to bash any other brand or Axis for that matter, this was just an experience that happened to me and i wanted to see if anyone shared a similar experience, but Hell why we are at it lets take a poll.....

Tama Iron Cobra pedals

or

Axis Longboard Pedals

IF THESE WERE THE ONLY TWO BRANDS ON THE MARKET....WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE.

P.S.- heres to the pedals that weren't mentioned - Pearl Eliminator, DW pedals, Mapex pedals, Yamaha Flying Dragon pedals
"What do you mean you don't trigger your kick drums?"....hahaha
Howepirate

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:02 am

Phantomdrummer87 wrote:I have always kept the strong mindset "To each drummer is his own", but one thing i cannot stand is when one drummer bashes his fellow percussionist for using a specific pedal. This situation happened to myself not long ago. I was criticized for not using Axis and staying with Iron Cobra pedals. I understand that Axis has a longer kick plate than most pedals, but to be honest Axis is made with Death/speed metal drummers in mind and i am a prog drummer. Yes I play alot of doubles in my band's new demo, but not any that would require blazing speeds which Axis offers. Again I believe it is personal Preference on which pedals you use and in the end it is all about the "feel", but I do not believe that someone should push you into buying a pedal that isn't "you". I am not trying to bash any other brand or Axis for that matter, this was just an experience that happened to me and i wanted to see if anyone shared a similar experience, but Hell why we are at it lets take a poll.....

Tama Iron Cobra pedals

or

Axis Longboard Pedals

IF THESE WERE THE ONLY TWO BRANDS ON THE MARKET....WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE.

P.S.- heres to the pedals that weren't mentioned - Pearl Eliminator, DW pedals, Mapex pedals, Yamaha Flying Dragon pedals

axis makes shortboards as well...much superior to iron cobras...do your research bro...iron cobras are the most sluggish pedals ive ever played on and i now play on DW 7002's
Phantomdrummer87
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:51 am

yes...but like I said...its personal preference....they might be sluggish to you but to me they are butter smooth and durable yet the next person's opinion might be different...and again I never bashed Axis, but in no way do I think they are the best. I know Axis makes shortboards but i wanted to use the longboards as an example...
"What do you mean you don't trigger your kick drums?"....hahaha
m
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:11 am

I played every pedal I could get my feet on a few years back.
I wanted something that felt great and would hold up to the rigors of touring.

The Iron Cobras rated pretty high in my estimation, I probably would have settled on those if I hadn't come across Axis. At that time, there really were no Axis dealers in my region, and I wasn't going to find them in stores. Other bands had been bringing them into our studio, so I got a little taste here and there, but had to eventually order one just to really test-drive it.
Didn't send it back; it really fit the bill for me.

My band is more oriented toward ambient/progressive music, not metal. Speed was not the deciding factor for me. To me, the Axis was smoother, lighter, and just more comfortable. I like the beater forward design; can't seem to find that feature in other pedals.

Good thing there's so much gear out there these days, huh?
There's definitely a wide spectrum of preferences!

oh, and criticizing gear preferences is not cool-
but I think most drummers like to share info when they find something they feel strongly about. I sure like to hear what other folks have experienced, gear-wise.
Last edited by m on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:14 am

i'm partial to the axis longboards. i find them to have much better kick.
Beat on.
writheindecay
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:36 am

thats a hard choice. i hate both of them :)

ive owned a pearl eliminator, iron cobra, axis a2's and the only thing i found that i liked was the dw5000. all double bass pedals of course.
the ic felt super heavy, sluggish and the slave pedal on those things suck on the plus side theyre very powerful pedals.
the eliminator is a bunnch of cool ideas, just didnt like the feel, axis was super light, super fast, the slave pedal felt equal, my biggest complaint was lack of power. the dw5000 for me anyway seems to have some of the best qualities of the axis(the dw fees light and is very fast) with the power of the iron cobra. and the slave pedal on the dw5000 is just about on par with the main pedal.
crispyX
new
new

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:03 am

Ive bee wanting a pair of axis longboard for a while, pretty much because Chris Adler uses them >:D

I tried a Iron cobra at guitar center the other day, and i reall really didn't get what i expected. i expected something really awesome, but i was dissapointed, but the axis on the other hand was god-like.

Soon i will be buying two of them $300 total
Damagedrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:10 am

Hmm crap, I think I just voted for the axis by accident. I ment to vote for the cobra's. I haven't played the longboards but I hated the construction of the axis pedals. The feel was great however, but I found that the cobra's are much stronger and designed way better in the way the pedal is put together. And eventually I liked the feel of the cobra better than the axis.
taataataataatatatatadakadakadakadakadak!
Circumsodomy
new
new

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:15 am

I like how the post starts of about how drummers shouldn't bash other drummers... then the post turns into a bash.

We'll i've been playing drums for a little over 20 years and I got a pair of Iron Cobra's Power Glide (when they first came out.. I got a summer job in junior high to pay for 'em... then i quit.)

I don't know much about Axis but what I do know is that I'm still using the same Iron Cobra's that i've been using since then and I have no problem playing double bass. (check out www.download.com/circumsodomy & www.download.com/evilution for proof) I'm probably faster than a lot of people that use Axis.

-BuzzSaw
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:30 am

My vote is for Axis A Longboards. I actually play two single pedals, but I had them linked up as a double pedal for a while. They're even, loud, fast, respond perfectly, WAY more adjustable, built OVERLY solid and they have great customer service. These pedals are so adjustable that you can get the feel of any other pedal. The ONLY downside is the cost. I'd even buy the Axis X pedals (which I had before I returned them for an upgrade) over the IC if it weren't for the price.

I have an IC Powerglide double pedal. It plays loud and it can be fast. I thought it would be a little more sturdy considering it's weight and bulkiness, but I guess my biggest problem is with the linkage shaft and not the actual pedals. It's very smooth, but the slave side isn't even, which is true for every pedal I've seen except for the Axis.
If this pedal feels good to you then I'd recommend you buy it over the Axis based on price alone. If people don't understand that, don't worry, they're dumb.

I just prefer solid linkage pedals. Probably because my first pedal was a Ludwig Speedking... GREAT pedal!!! Dual chains drives at a minimum, but they're still sloppy. Anything else is way too sloppy for me.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:09 pm

Iron Cobra easy, axis is too smooth for my liking, similar to the DW 9000, i dont like my pedals 'too' smooth, Iron Cobra perfect.
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Mitchell_2004
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:10 pm

I just want to say.. That when you try stuff out in the stores.. Its all stock.. The springs arent tighten, and that makes a huge difference to any pedal. I play the IC's with the Heavy springs.. I get so much more bounce and the feel is incridible.. I cant comment about the Axis LB's since Ive never tried any of them.. Although Since Guitar Center finally arrived here, I might go do that soon..
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:27 pm

from what ive read on other forums, the lag problem in other pedals can be fixed using the axis drive shaft...something about their u-joint design fixes the problem.

as for me, i choose the cobras. i play more prog/funk style rock and dont need blazing speed. i dont have a lot of speed anyway so my cobras arent a problem. i dont really like the feel of direct drive pedals so the axis doesnt get my vote.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
Howepirate

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:21 pm

anavrinIV wrote:from what ive read on other forums, the lag problem in other pedals can be fixed using the axis drive shaft...something about their u-joint design fixes the problem.

as for me, i choose the cobras. i play more prog/funk style rock and dont need blazing speed. i dont have a lot of speed anyway so my cobras arent a problem. i dont really like the feel of direct drive pedals so the axis doesnt get my vote.

obviously axis is superior because their quality parts could fix you laggy cobra
Benhamin
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:25 pm

axis is the best
its simple, thats whats good about
you get what you pay for in quality
unforunatly thats alot