What famous drummer would you want to have as a teacher?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

RogersDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:06 pm

Thats an easy one. I'd take Bill Cobham as a teacher over ANY other drummer any day of the week.
The only thing that can prevent you from acheving even the furthest goal, is doubt. Stay dedicated.
Naicitrom
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:36 am

Mangini...
And Morgan Agren.
Purely cuz of Agrens work with Thordendal on Sol Niger Within... I'd just want him to teach me how to play that album heh.
drum man
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:53 am

John Bonam if he were alive. But still living Danny Carry, Vinnie Paul or Bill Ward
salvo
new
new

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:26 pm

Phil Maturano

I caught a free workshop of his in the early days and since then appreciate his theory and concept of time, and is a great educator!

also Carter Beauford, Alex Acuna, and Papa Jo Jones
Palryo
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:36 pm

shirleythewerewolf wrote:Joe Morello or Jeremy Hummel; both give lessons so if I ever find myself living on the East Coast it's definitely not out of the question, which is very cool.

jeremy hummel heck yes! and chad szeliga who has some instuctional vidoes on youtube, so i can kinda get lessons for free ... but no feedback lol
Lame cake is just as good as unlame cake
XeYoT@M@
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:21 pm

Steve Smith, Gregg Bissonette, or Deen Castronovo
skatroma
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:25 pm

Ginger Baker
If you can't drum 'em, beat 'em.
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:56 pm

BillRayDrums wrote:My favorite drummers to learn from are those who are in the age range of 8-15 years old. To me, all the technique and stuff is cool but it's the unbridled enthusiasm of someone "fresh on the boat" that drives me.

I have been playing drums for over 30 years now and some nights are harder than others. To see someone play that has a spirit and ebbulence about them that is infectuous really spurs me to capture that and apply it to my own bag.

~B

Good answer!

For me, I have already studied with one of the greats - Zoro!

He is highly under-rated and one lesson form him can set you on a totally new path in life!
ChrisNichols
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:10 am

Toughie...think I'd have to go with Ginger Baker though.
This could only be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire.
phillippowers
new
new

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:41 am

I have taken a few lessons from Kenny Aronoff (I live in Indianapolis...) and I credit alot of the fact that I make a good living playing drums to some of the business sense and such that I learned from Kenny. Also, many of you might not know this, but, one of the best drummers around anywhere is right here in Indiana also...has anyone thought about Dane Clark? Dane is the drummer for John Mellencamp and has played w/ many other major artists too. He's alot more under the radar than Kenny in terms of public exposure, but, Dane is one of the sickest players around ANYWHERE and one of the greatest teachers I've ever been honored to study with and I've studied w/ alot of MAJOR dudes (Chester Thompson, Kenny Aronoff, Ed Greene, Charlie Adams, Jeff Queen etc, etc etc.) Dane is really cool because he has a VERY VERY deep database of the masters, he has studied Gadd, Cobham, Tony Williams, Colaiuta, Steve Smith, and all the greats in great depth and has alot of their information that he passes along as well as his own great ideas. It's well worth checking him out. I think there's a link to his myspace page on my page. His myspace page is for his singer/songwriter stuff though...so, that's great too... Has anyone else on here taken any lessons from Dane?
Now accepting students for Drum/Percussion lessons in the Indianapolis, IN area.
killdrum1983
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:22 am

Travis Barker without a doubt :D
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:53 am

To improve in the style that I play, I'd have to sit down with Dave Raun (of Lagwagon)

Just in general I'd love to get some instruction from Mike Portnoy, Vinnie Paul or Chad Smith. Hell any of the legends.

Hell anyone that can teach me something I dont know. I'm always looking to pick up some fresh chops.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
johnmc2k
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:38 am

For me it would have to be either Gavin Harrison or Mike Portnoy. They have great wee musical bits, that fill in soft bits of music, and work so well musically, and are so creative. I would love to expand that ability....if that made sense
phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:20 am

i cant decide. i would probably choose the following:
thomas lang - his stick tricks are flawless.
chad smith - never over plays and keeps it funky with a rock attitude
mike portnoy - plays time signatures like a nintendo.
derek roddy - full of ideas and his feet are killer ( check out the double bass hi - hat pattern in ' I monarch ' by hate eternal )
Jo Jo mayer - Id love to master the drum and bass genre, its quick and precise.
dave grohl - bit of an odd choice, but hes capable of playing heavy grooves with one bass drum and i like that.
Pearl Hardware. Zildjian Cymbals. Vic Firth 7A Sticks. Remo Pintripes/Weatherking Heads
funkengrooven
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:10 pm

I already do - Grant Collins.
Been sitting at the feet of the master for 3 years now.
Yamaha drums :: Meinl cymbals :: Pro-Mark drumsticks :: Aquarian heads

http://www.myspace.com/funkengrooven