Sets that you were disappointed with.

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

SGarrett

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:35 am

drumur wrote:One thing we have to keep in mind...we shouldn't judge a brand if we aren't the one who tuned it. I have played on high-end kits that were either at a gig where there was more than one band or even at a music store. Not knowing how to tune can make a high-end kit sound like sh!t.
I played a gig on this one guy's DWs and his tom lugs were "finger-tight." I guess you know that they didn't sound good.
About a month ago I played on a Pearl Masters Maple Custom with EC2s on it. Again the guy had no idea how good these drums could sound. I just had to bear with it.
Then, if you go to a music store(I'm not referring to yours, Garrett because you probably know how to tune) most of the time nobody at the store knows how to make the drums sound the way they can sound.

The point is, unless you own the drums and have tuned them(assuming you know how to tune) then I guess you can't judge cause I know if I got my hands on them DWs or Pearl Masters Maple Custom, they would have sang.

Too right. When I started working there pretty much everyone could tune but I was the last to leave who could. Now you're lucky to find a kit that's tuned really nicely. I think one of the differences is that when I worked there we were allowed to play on the kits and when I left they were really cracking down on that. So, of course, we all wanted the drums to sound good for when we sat down. :D Seriously though, I took pride in sending a well tuned kit out the door.

And I always tell people that if they want to compare drums they have should do it side by side with the drums tuned similarly. It's just not a fair comparison otherwise. One day at the store Mike Johnston gave me a 10" Rocket Shell tom to play around with one day, after he'd just gotten sponsored by them, and compare with a DW birch when they first came out. Mike used to and once again endorses DW. I put them right next to each other tuned exactly the same and played on them for a while. At first I was like, "yeah, that thing sings" but next to the DW it sounded good but lifeless. You could tune it out the wazoo and it was loud as hell, but it still lacked the warmth of wood.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:48 pm

I could well answer everything that seems to be a problem to Garret, but why bother. The person who had the problem in all of this was you. Only you.

Low end drums are crap.... we agree.
PDP isnt DW Collectors....... we agree.
The distinction is often lost..... we agree.
The DW drums that were being dissed early on in the thread, werent DW at all, but PDP..... that is well established, I re read the posts. Nothing I said was out of line, or personally directed to anyone in anyway. I did not attack anyones choice of drums, accessories, or playing ability. I called no names.

What I said before I will say again, if you cant make a 4 to 6 thousand dollar set of drums sound good real soon after they leave the box, the problems arent heads. Its the guy holding the key.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt that you as a moderator would be as tolerant of your posts had they been made by anyone else. Maybe I am wrong there, if so I apologize.

However, nothing I have posted anywhere on any thread in the time Ive been here has been with an aire of superiority.

Furthermore, I see no reason to turn this thread into a one up game of insults.

Merry Christmas to all.
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes

Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
SGarrett

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:28 pm

ThePloughman wrote:I could well answer everything that seems to be a problem to Garret, but why bother. The person who had the problem in all of this was you. Only you.

Low end drums are crap.... we agree.
PDP isnt DW Collectors....... we agree.
The distinction is often lost..... we agree.
The DW drums that were being dissed early on in the thread, werent DW at all, but PDP..... that is well established, I re read the posts. Nothing I said was out of line, or personally directed to anyone in anyway. I did not attack anyones choice of drums, accessories, or playing ability. I called no names.

What I said before I will say again, if you cant make a 4 to 6 thousand dollar set of drums sound good real soon after they leave the box, the problems arent heads. Its the guy holding the key.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt that you as a moderator would be as tolerant of your posts had they been made by anyone else. Maybe I am wrong there, if so I apologize.

However, nothing I have posted anywhere on any thread in the time Ive been here has been with an aire of superiority.

Furthermore, I see no reason to turn this thread into a one up game of insults.

Merry Christmas to all.

I'm not insulting you, I'm being honest with you. Would I be as tolerant of my posts if someone else made them? Yes, I am. I'm not the type of person who needs people to walk on egg shells. I don't beat around the bush about anything. Had you come correct with your information on Pacific we wouldn't be having this discussion. Hate them all you want, just know what the hell you are "blabbering about" while you do. :)

Discussion over.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:21 pm

Not quite over.

Pacifics website sucks ass. The only drums they actually define as being produced in Ensenada, Baja, Mexico are the all maple drums. The only shell construction that is significantly defined is the all maple shells. Every thing else is rather vague. But......
however, I did find this.
Quoted from: http://www.mikedolbear.co.uk/story.asp?StoryID=1397 Dated Sept.2007
Overall a great review for the drums, well written, addresses quality, form, fit, finish, and by far, much more informative than the Pacific Drums website seems capable of achieving.
For this review I received the FX0522 kit package in Royal Fade finish, which included the 8155 hardware pack (more on the hardware later on). The badges on the drums stated that the kit was made in China, although PDP do have a manufacturing base in Mexico too for their higher ranges, but these are firmly of Eastern origin.

I suppose I could go down to one of the local stores tomorrow or monday, tear a set down and do my own review.

As for the remark about hating them..... I consider their upper lines to be quite sufficient for any level of player, and at an excellent price, very comparable to the Ayotte Pro Maple (formerly Drumsmith) line. Thats a long way from hate.

So, since we arent walking on eggshells here. Pull your head out of your ass. A review of all the posts here by anyone kind of makes you look bad. Not me. Im not sure what it was exactly that rang your bell, but damn, you need to fix that, and its all with you, not anyone else.
Last edited by ThePloughman on Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes

Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:54 pm

I can tell you the drums that haven't disappointed me! Pearl, Tama, Sonor, and pork pies, what ever their keller shells who cares they sound great, they all have great drums and impeccable finishes. I also feel that yamaha makes great pedals and snare but everything else has that generic R&B sound just like DWs.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
Dude_on_Drums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:10 pm

off topic, I know, but felt the need to defend my former kit...
Before I got my Sonor, I owned a Yamaha Stage Custom.
Am I the only one who likes these drums? Never had any problems with powerless-sounding toms or anything. I think it was a great kit.
What I'm really disappointed in, is the "new" line of Gretsch drums.
ABSOLUTELY don't get what all the fuzz is about.
It's good, knowin' he's out there...THE Dude.
Taking it easy for all us sinners...

Sonor SQ2 X-ray acryllic
Sonor hardware to match the kit
Sabian cymbals
DW Pedals
Vater 5B Natural
Rogers Dynasonic and Rogers Superten snaredrums
Hack_and_Slash
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:16 pm

Dude_on_Drums wrote:off topic, I know, but felt the need to defend my former kit...
Before I got my Sonor, I owned a Yamaha Stage Custom.
Am I the only one who likes these drums? Never had any problems with powerless-sounding toms or anything. I think it was a great kit.
What I'm really disappointed in, is the "new" line of Gretsch drums.
ABSOLUTELY don't get what all the fuzz is about.

I have one as my first kit. I like it but I want to upgrade to a higher end yamaha.
Dude_on_Drums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:37 pm

@Hack_and_Slash : Maple Custom Absolute sounds realy great...
What style of music do you play?
Tommy Aldridge ( Whitesnake and many more) plays Yamaha.
Check out his work. Think he uses the Maple Custom.

Also a great Yamaha, is the "new" Oak Custom. Thunderstorm when you play it.
Good luck on finding a new Yamaha kit!
It's good, knowin' he's out there...THE Dude.
Taking it easy for all us sinners...

Sonor SQ2 X-ray acryllic
Sonor hardware to match the kit
Sabian cymbals
DW Pedals
Vater 5B Natural
Rogers Dynasonic and Rogers Superten snaredrums
Howepirate

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:41 pm

The worst set i've had was most def. my PDP FXR. The toms and the snare were crap, though i loved the bassdrum. My pulse set actually sounded a bit better from what i recall.

I can honestly tell you, I heard a DW collectors LAST NIGHT...TWICE (we played 2 shows with the band).. and the PDP sounded better than that set.
SGarrett

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:51 pm

Howepirate wrote:The worst set i've had was most def. my PDP FXR. The toms and the snare were crap, though i loved the bassdrum. My pulse set actually sounded a bit better from what i recall.

I can honestly tell you, I heard a DW collectors LAST NIGHT...TWICE (we played 2 shows with the band).. and the PDP sounded better than that set.

Yep, badly tuned professional level drums are the sets that disappoint me the most.
Howepirate

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:29 pm

SGarrett wrote:
Howepirate wrote:The worst set i've had was most def. my PDP FXR. The toms and the snare were crap, though i loved the bassdrum. My pulse set actually sounded a bit better from what i recall.

Yep, badly tuned professional level drums are the sets that disappoint me the most.

Definitely! I would have loved to hear those Dubs sing!
Zim
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:35 pm

I have played alot of brands over the years. I always wanted and finally got 2 sets in the last 5 years. Sonor are what I play now and love them. ludwigs always bothered me. I hated the sound of any pearl drum set I played. cb suxs, Tama ia alright but there snares need alot of work. Sonor snares are awsome sounding w/ little or no work on them.yamahas are funny every once in awhile you get a bad set(series) but I agree i would love DW but I think there overpriced and my sonors sound great so I'm set. Mapex i had an early 90's set of orions and mars series there both ok but not the hardware alot of problems that I fixed w/ a gibralter rack set up.
mrgreenjeans2234
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:30 am

haha im going to be cliche here when i was in middle school my first set was a pulse
for what it was at that time for a none touring or hell without a band drummer it wasnt bad
but yea now that i look back on it pos

in highschool and early years of college i had a pearl export a tama
that i actully bought but it just wasnt making the sounds i wanted
it was a nice little set i just never could get it sounding the way i wanted

in later years of college and into the drumcore
i had a yamaha stage custom that was a very nice set
but once again i just couldnt get that sound i wanted
it was again an upgrade but still wasnt what i wanted
Hack_and_Slash
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Dude_on_Drums wrote:@Hack_and_Slash : Maple Custom Absolute sounds realy great...
What style of music do you play?
Tommy Aldridge ( Whitesnake and many more) plays Yamaha.
Check out his work. Think he uses the Maple Custom.

Also a great Yamaha, is the "new" Oak Custom. Thunderstorm when you play it.
Good luck on finding a new Yamaha kit!

I play metal and hard rock. The only real problem I have with the stage custom is that the toms sound kind of weak. I tune my batter heads pretty low and my resonant heads pretty high. Not so high it chokes the drum but you probably know what I mean. It gives me that nice low punchy noise but I just feel like I need more volume and just a little more resonance. I was thinking birch absolute or oak custom. I never actually played the oak custom but I played the birch and it was the best set I've ever heard. I'm wondering if the oak custom would be better.
pdp
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:53 pm

I have never liked the sound of any gretsch I have played. Not dissing them or anything, but out of the four different sets I have tried at guitar center, they sounded horrible. It's probably just because the guys at guitar center hardly ever tune them up after they have been beat on. I don't really like Pearls either, but that's just my opinion.

And by the way, phee, I saw you guys in IN like last year. You guys were good. I couldn't understand a single word your singer said, but good drumming.