Sets that you were disappointed with.

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Maynardjames
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:46 am

iv only played 2 Dw kits mine and a friend and they both sound amazing. iv owned many drums kits and played many of my friends kits almost every brand out there. IMHO the only drums that compare to Dw are Sonors hi end kits and Pearl masters. I never really liked Dw's my self till my friend got his set after that i knew i had to get one. I think that almost all companies out there are making nice products for the most part. but i love my Dw and going to play them forever till i here something better :).this is just my opinion but everone has there own prefrence and personal taste. rock on drummers!
Dw Collector's Series 10x8 12x9 14x11 16x13 22x18 Maple
Orange County Drum & Percussion Snare 14x6 10PLy Maple
Zildijan Custom A: 20' Ride, 16' Crash, 18' China, 14' HiHats
Zildijan Custom A Medium: 20' Ride, 17', 18' Proj, 18' Fast Crash
SGarrett

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:29 am

The only drums that have disappointed me are super cheap pieces of crap and otherwise good drums that are tuned poorly and/or have someone behind them who can't make them sing.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
EOTE_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:40 am

ThePloughman wrote:Im sorry, but this "stock heads" BS ... needs to be called what it is BS. Youve been drinking too much coolaid. Any time you pay 4-6 Thousand dollars for a shell pack. You arent getting the same quality heads as on a pulse, rockwood, first act, set of entry level drums. If you cant make Dubs sound good with the heads on them out of the box........ the only real reason for that is 1. you have no taste 2. you have no tuning ability 3. Tuning is directly proportionate to the amount of muffling youve got to work with. Because its not the drums makin it sound bad. It makes a lot of sense to.... in some instances............. buy a brand new set of drums, rip off all the logo heads because they are sub par in someones opinion, and then buy the branded identical heads for the kit, because they are superior.

Oh yea.............stock heads.

i was referring to the DW heads, the same heads that came with my Pacific. i hate those heads, they sound awful. i wasnt the one that tuned it, it was already at GC and some brainless monkey tuned it.
PDP, Tama, and Pearl Drums
DW, Pearl, and Gibraltar Hardware
Sabian, Zildjian, and Saluda Cymbals

www.myspace.com/EOTEband
SGarrett

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:09 pm

EOTE_drummer wrote:
ThePloughman wrote:Im sorry, but this "stock heads" BS ... needs to be called what it is BS. Youve been drinking too much coolaid. Any time you pay 4-6 Thousand dollars for a shell pack. You arent getting the same quality heads as on a pulse, rockwood, first act, set of entry level drums. If you cant make Dubs sound good with the heads on them out of the box........ the only real reason for that is 1. you have no taste 2. you have no tuning ability 3. Tuning is directly proportionate to the amount of muffling youve got to work with. Because its not the drums makin it sound bad. It makes a lot of sense to.... in some instances............. buy a brand new set of drums, rip off all the logo heads because they are sub par in someones opinion, and then buy the branded identical heads for the kit, because they are superior.

Oh yea.............stock heads.

i was referring to the DW heads, the same heads that came with my Pacific. i hate those heads, they sound awful. i wasnt the one that tuned it, it was already at GC and some brainless monkey tuned it.

The heads that come on Pacific drums only look like DW heads. They are, in fact, cheaper versions and one of the ways they keep the cost down. Which is why they sound so horrible.

And Ploughman, it's a fact that stock heads on many lower-line drums will sound poorly when compared to off-the-shelf heads.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:57 pm

Any drummer that cannot get a high-end set to sound great does not know how to tune. Unless there is a problem with an out of round shell or bad bearing edge (which is rare at that price level), a good sound can be had on ANY high-end set. Ambassadors may not be the sound you are looking for but if that's the case, change heads to what you like, but nonetheless a good sound can be had with whatever head a drummer prefers.
SGarrett

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:11 pm

Airborne Ranger wrote:Any drummer that cannot get a high-end set to sound great does not know how to tune. Unless there is a problem with an out of round shell or bad bearing edge (which is rare at that price level), a good sound can be had on ANY high-end set. Ambassadors may not be the sound you are looking for but if that's the case, change heads to what you like, but nonetheless a good sound can be had with whatever head a drummer prefers.

Blech. I played a gig once with a guy who had an eight piece DW that sounded like wet farts because of his tuning. It didn't even sound good on the player's side. :D
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:30 pm

Pacific isnt DW. DW collectors series are not PDP/Pacific, EX LX OX UX or whatever Vowel and X combo they are using these days. If you type in DW sounds like crap and is way over priced and the stock heads are crap and must be changed and if the only kit youve ever played was a .........DW........... on the floor at guitar center, even with new STOCK heads, they sounded like crap........and you are really talking about a PACIFIC kit and the PACIFIC heads with the little DW logo on them.....

Pacific is not DW. They are made for DW, they are marketed by DW, they are owned by DW ............but they arent DW. Everything I stated remains true. If you cant get a 4-6 thousand dollar shell pack to sound good very soon after you take it out and set it up........ go back to the exports and pillows. 250.00 worth of high dollar coolaid is not going to improve your tuning skills.

On any given day looking at Craigslist I will see something like DW Drums for sale, 300.00, of course you think thats a typo and means 3,000.00, and then you find out its not a DW at all, its a partial cord of chinese firewood wearing a pacific name tag.

Ya know, ..........if you want to dis DW ......... fine. Just make the distinction you MEAN ............DW................ and you arent blabbering about Asian Luan Pacific.
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes

Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
SGarrett

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:01 pm

ThePloughman wrote:Pacific isnt DW. DW collectors series are not PDP/Pacific, EX LX OX UX or whatever Vowel and X combo they are using these days. If you type in DW sounds like crap and is way over priced and the stock heads are crap and must be changed and if the only kit youve ever played was a .........DW........... on the floor at guitar center, even with new STOCK heads, they sounded like crap........and you are really talking about a PACIFIC kit and the PACIFIC heads with the little DW logo on them.....

Pacific is not DW. They are made for DW, they are marketed by DW, they are owned by DW ............but they arent DW. Everything I stated remains true. If you cant get a 4-6 thousand dollar shell pack to sound good very soon after you take it out and set it up........ go back to the exports and pillows. 250.00 worth of high dollar coolaid is not going to improve your tuning skills.

On any given day looking at Craigslist I will see something like DW Drums for sale, 300.00, of course you think thats a typo and means 3,000.00, and then you find out its not a DW at all, its a partial cord of chinese firewood wearing a pacific name tag.

Ya know, ..........if you want to dis DW ......... fine. Just make the distinction you MEAN ............DW................ and you arent blabbering about Asian Luan Pacific.

Pacific was also started by Chris Lombardi (DW C.E.O.) as a way to set himself apart from his father's accomplishments. They're also great kits for the money. Don't know why you're knocking them so badly. It annoys me that people call them DW PDP kits, but you seem flat out offended that they even exist.

By the way, I've worked with Chris Lombardi, I know very well what a DW drum set is. So take a chill pill.

edit:
And by the way, PDP is made in Mexico. So knock off the boarderline Asian slurs.
Last edited by SGarrett on Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:10 pm

SGarrett wrote:
ThePloughman wrote:Pacific isnt DW. DW collectors series are not PDP/Pacific, EX LX OX UX or whatever Vowel and X combo they are using these days. If you type in DW sounds like crap and is way over priced and the stock heads are crap and must be changed and if the only kit youve ever played was a .........DW........... on the floor at guitar center, even with new STOCK heads, they sounded like crap........and you are really talking about a PACIFIC kit and the PACIFIC heads with the little DW logo on them.....

Pacific was also started by Chris Lombardi (DW C.E.O.) as a way to set himself apart from his father's accomplishments. They're also great kits for the money. Don't know why you're knocking them so badly. It annoys me that people call them DW PDP kits, but you seem flat out offended that they even exist.

By the way, I've worked with Chris Lombardi, I know very well what a DW drum set is. So take a chill pill.

i think he was just establishing that there is in fact a difference between dw and pdp.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
SGarrett

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:48 pm

Actually reading through this topic two things have become painfully obvious. Nobody understands that DW's tension rods have a finer pitch for more precise tuning. This, along with the sharp bearing edges, can make them difficult to tune until you get used to them. The second is that people seem to expect DW drums to sound like platinum and diamonds, while playing themselves, and packing themselves up after the show. :D

anavrinIV wrote:
i think he was just establishing that there is in fact a difference between dw and pdp.

I whole-heartedly agree with establishing the difference, and do quite often, but you'll notice that I'm not a dick about it. :)
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:25 pm

Heh, so Im a dick.

Shell construction on low end kits is often luan, or a combination of luan and something else. Remeniscent of "mystery meat" from school lunch fame. Several websites refer to the EZ shells as selected hardwoods. I couldnt find any that were very specific. Luan makes crap drums. There arent any quality drums built on a luan shell base. Luan doesnt grow in the USA or Canada, or even Mexico. It does come from Asia. China, Taiwan, the Phillipines. There was no racial slur, no overt or covert dissing of Asian people. Just the shit drums that are produced in the bazillians, shipped to america and sold for 299 dollars complete with cymbals and hardware that are offten someones first kit. And they are pretty much a one owner drumset, because by the time that one owner is done with them, they are firewood.

Frankly I am indifferent that Pacific even exists. Dont even give a damn that they are called "by DW" and dont care who likes or dislikes them. Some of their product is very good, sounds great, is excellent in quality at the price it is being sold. Entry lines ........almost everyones entry lines...... are crap. Its like an unwritten rule. Every manufacturer follows it. And if you follow the paper trail on anyones entry line, including Pacific by DW, you end up in Asia. Theres an awful lot of drum related product on the market today that bears a "made in Taiwan" or "made in China" emblem.

All of this and none of that change anything about my post........ they are PDP by DW, and somewhere up there in this thread that whole distinction was clearly lost. Or seemed to be.

Hells freaking bells, so much for being a dick, Merry Christmas.
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes

Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:46 pm

I had a dreadful Pearl Reference kit. Really flat kik drum and very boring Toms. The sound guy did well with them out front but was very glad to see them go. They also got fired off in the studio because of the Kiks. It had a 22" and an 18" which both sounded crap.

Years ago I had an enormous Premier Projector. Some of the Drums were ok, some where really dead. Generally crap throughout.

And more recently I bought an 80's yammy 9000 in black. 10" 12" 14" 16" and 22", usual Gadd sort of thing. Nothing wrong with them, they were great Drums, just did'nt suit me, very M.O.R sessiony sound. Sold them on.

I have both 60's and a 70's 22" 13" 16" set's. I think the 70's kit sound's better! Despite them being badly re-wrapped.

I once owned a little Sonor Designer in 20" 12" 14". Was a cool kit but did'nt blow me away. All the floor tom leg locks had worn out which is apparently common. Just a bit heavy to haul around as I was playing in lot's of small club's with seemingly endless set's of stairs at the time.

Lastly I have a Yammy Absolute Noveau snare 14"x7". Great sound and feel, just really cheaply put together. Snare wires are coming out one by one from the collar, and the chrome is flaking off the Rims. I got a splinter the other day from it. Thats why those Drums seem so cheap up to their U.S counterparts. Crap really but I'm gonna up-grade to the Yammy wooden rims, and a purecussion snare bed. Make it sound warmer than a hot water bottle!

My Dw's are brilliant. Although for me Delta snare throws are shit! They must be changed for Tricks or similar as soon as poss. Apart from that they are easy to tune and to play.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
SGarrett

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:33 pm

ThePloughman wrote:Heh, so Im a dick.

Shell construction on low end kits is often luan, or a combination of luan and something else. Remeniscent of "mystery meat" from school lunch fame. Several websites refer to the EZ shells as selected hardwoods. I couldnt find any that were very specific. Luan makes crap drums. There arent any quality drums built on a luan shell base. Luan doesnt grow in the USA or Canada, or even Mexico. It does come from Asia. China, Taiwan, the Phillipines. There was no racial slur, no overt or covert dissing of Asian people. Just the shit drums that are produced in the bazillians, shipped to america and sold for 299 dollars complete with cymbals and hardware that are offten someones first kit. And they are pretty much a one owner drumset, because by the time that one owner is done with them, they are firewood.

I don't argue that in the slightest. However, that isn't what Pacific drums are made of and Pacific drums are made in Mexico. I've had a face to face discussion with Chris Lombardi about them, have you? Didn't think so.

Frankly I am indifferent that Pacific even exists. Dont even give a damn that they are called "by DW" and dont care who likes or dislikes them. Some of their product is very good, sounds great, is excellent in quality at the price it is being sold. Entry lines ........almost everyones entry lines...... are crap. Its like an unwritten rule. Every manufacturer follows it. And if you follow the paper trail on anyones entry line, including Pacific by DW, you end up in Asia. Theres an awful lot of drum related product on the market today that bears a "made in Taiwan" or "made in China" emblem.

Do you have any Earthly idea how much is made in a place called The Export Zone in Taiwan? Of course you don't. Pretty much all of the world's largest manufacturers use The Export Zone.

Yes, entry line drums are made of cheap wood. That's what makes them affordable for beginning players. It's amazing what you learn when you're trained by the factory reps.

All of this and none of that change anything about my post........ they are PDP by DW, and somewhere up there in this thread that whole distinction was clearly lost. Or seemed to be.

Hells freaking bells, so much for being a dick, Merry Christmas.

The distinction wasn't lost, it was clouded by your sheer ignorance and flat out bias. And that sir, is why you're acting like a dick. :)
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:34 am

The Masters Studio Birch is quite nice, but every other model I have played just plain sucks. They sound so bad. Their only hope is Pinstripe heads, since they sound the same no matter what drums you put them on for the most part. I will give them this, though. Pearl knows how to make a good kick drum. Even the Export kicks sound good. Every other product they make is a complete waste except for the Masters Studio Birch. .....only an opinion

Yeah...that was nice see that somebody thinks that cause that's what I have right now. They are nice...I just played a gig tonight with them.
I really liked my Gretsch too(I had an 80's kit).
I thought Premier Resonators were junk. That was a bad idea to invent those.
I took the inner shells out...

Phee your playing sounded great so I respect your opinion.
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:01 am

One thing we have to keep in mind...we shouldn't judge a brand if we aren't the one who tuned it. I have played on high-end kits that were either at a gig where there was more than one band or even at a music store. Not knowing how to tune can make a high-end kit sound like sh!t.
I played a gig on this one guy's DWs and his tom lugs were "finger-tight." I guess you know that they didn't sound good.
About a month ago I played on a Pearl Masters Maple Custom with EC2s on it. Again the guy had no idea how good these drums could sound. I just had to bear with it.
Then, if you go to a music store(I'm not referring to yours, Garrett because you probably know how to tune) most of the time nobody at the store knows how to make the drums sound the way they can sound.

The point is, unless you own the drums and have tuned them(assuming you know how to tune) then I guess you can't judge cause I know if I got my hands on them DWs or Pearl Masters Maple Custom, they would have sang.