Sets that you were disappointed with.

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:19 pm

Scott_Hurford wrote:
anavrinIV wrote:[color=deeppink]they make one of my favorite snares

I'll agree with that, Yamaha do make awsome snare drums!

That is kinda true, even though they don't LOOK as cool :P
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
Spydr2000
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:54 pm

DW's ... these were horrible!!!! it took alot of cash to find the right heads and bass drum.. with no bass...thank god for remo power stoke heads it actually gave the drum some balls. The only postive thing I made alot of money with them and even cashed out when I sold them.. thanks DW for jacking your prices it increased the value of the piece of crap I bought.
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:48 pm

Spydr2000 wrote:DW's ... these were horrible!!!! it took alot of cash to find the right heads and bass drum.. with no bass...thank god for remo power stoke heads it actually gave the drum some balls. The only postive thing I made alot of money with them and even cashed out when I sold them.. thanks DW for jacking your prices it increased the value of the piece of crap I bought.

Mind restating that and making a bit more sense? I didn't really get that....
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:09 am

Well Spydr2000 means that he was searching for a long time for heads that would make the kick sound good. He hated the DW's and so, he sold them just after finishing a tour or so. The only positive thing is that when he was selling it, DW made their prices higher and he could sell his kit for more money :)
I could be a storyteller lol :>
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
screamkevin

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:03 am

The only drums that I've ever been dissapointed in were Noble & Cooley. I played a show last year where my band opened for an AC/DC tribute, and their drummer had a set of N&C. (Real authentic, eh? :roll: )

They were:

18"x24" Kick
13"x"13" Rack
18"x16" Floor

I just could not get those drums to sound good at all. They were all shod with Remo Coated Ambassadors (I detest Remo heads anyway, but they should sound good.), and just sounded like "WHUMP". Dead, loose, and low. No tone at all. Very dissapointing given the fact that N&C is a boutique maker.

Oh, and for the Yamaha haters that claim they haven't heard a good sounding Yamaha drum in years...come to Pennsylvania and check out my band, Scream. I have guys that play Starclassics asking me how I get my old Stage Customs sounding so good. :wink:
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
Dee
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:04 pm

Rockaflodge wrote:DW - A BIG let down and very over priced. even thery hardwear is over priced and dont sound any better than a more reasonable kit and tama does nothing for me eather oh and OCDP drums might as well come with a life time supply of hair spray because all they are good for is looking cool.

I am a Pearl drummer and I think we get the most shit because our drums are a dime a dozen but most people make there opinion based on the exports kits but if you get a chance to play the masters you never think about it again. Every time I play live I get compliments from the sound guys on how good my kit sounded and how easy it was to mix and EQ and every studio engineer loves the way they sound recorded and pearls hardwear is the best on the market and customer surpport is the best. I think is because the standard is DW so when they get hear a kit like the masters, they are blowen away.

I have to agree with you mate, I am a pearl drummer. My very first kit was an export and being 100% honest... it sounded shite, but i can't put that down to the kit itself, my tuning was the problem. I then got rid of the stupid stock heads and replaced it with aquarians, i also learned how to tune correctly and then the kit sounded awesome, couldn't fault it in any way.
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:41 pm

Shalaq wrote:Well Spydr2000 means that he was searching for a long time for heads that would make the kick sound good. He hated the DW's and so, he sold them just after finishing a tour or so. The only positive thing is that when he was selling it, DW made their prices higher and he could sell his kit for more money :)

YAY stories! lol
Yah thanks I get it now! And my is he lucky!!!
Spydr2000
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:46 am

Shalaq wrote:Well Spydr2000 means that he was searching for a long time for heads that would make the kick sound good. He hated the DW's and so, he sold them just after finishing a tour or so. The only positive thing is that when he was selling it, DW made their prices higher and he could sell his kit for more money :)

that's it bro... sold them for alot more....
Zim
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:22 pm

I've played Tamas, I liked em' Pearls I don't care for, Ludwigs I really don't like as I have had a few of those and I hated there sound. Mapex is ok I had one of there original mars sets and just sold it after 15 years. I now play sonor Birch kit and am very pleased w/ the sound ,look and qualityImage of my kit.
jbreshears
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:24 pm

Qbs wrote:I maybe walking on thin ice but...
I've always had troubles with two popular semi-pro sets: Yamaha Stage Custom & Mapex-M
They don't sound good IMHO - I've heard/played them with different heads and tuning and to my ears they always sound bad but what really drives me mad about those drumkits whenever I sit behind one are those damn tomholders ;] I just can't adjust those drums to my liking. I truly and sincerely hate playing those drums ;)

I have to agree with the mapex m birch, i own a set and i hate them. My stock hardware sucks the toms sound like junk except my 10" that one sounds ok, and no matter how i tune them they still suck, so i think i'm gonna ebay my kit. Also the tomholders suck..good call on that, that won't adjust worth crap, they always are hitting each other, Man i'm mad now.
Always question reality
jbreshears
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:32 pm

grey_fox wrote:I'm getting a mapex Pro M stomp kit with 13" rack 16" floor and 18" floor with a 24" kick i take it the pro M is going to be alot better than the M?

I don't like the pro M either, the only way you're going to get some half ass good stands is if you upgrade and get double braced. Right off the bat you need different heads, and the tom mounts suck can't adjust them, but tha's just what i have encounterd. Good luck
Always question reality
iplaydrums1
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:35 am

dw

ive never felt any sort of "connection" after i played them, they did nothing for me.
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:50 pm

exports. they all sound really high pitched.
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
EOTE_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:04 pm

most of the "DW haters" just played the ones at Guitar Center with stock heads, and were tuned by a monkey. of course its going to sound bad. the most amazing drums ive heard were DW. BEST OUT THERE. end of story
PDP, Tama, and Pearl Drums
DW, Pearl, and Gibraltar Hardware
Sabian, Zildjian, and Saluda Cymbals

www.myspace.com/EOTEband
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:45 pm

Im sorry, but this "stock heads" BS ... needs to be called what it is BS. Youve been drinking too much coolaid. Any time you pay 4-6 Thousand dollars for a shell pack. You arent getting the same quality heads as on a pulse, rockwood, first act, set of entry level drums. If you cant make Dubs sound good with the heads on them out of the box........ the only real reason for that is 1. you have no taste 2. you have no tuning ability 3. Tuning is directly proportionate to the amount of muffling youve got to work with. Because its not the drums makin it sound bad. It makes a lot of sense to.... in some instances............. buy a brand new set of drums, rip off all the logo heads because they are sub par in someones opinion, and then buy the branded identical heads for the kit, because they are superior.

Oh yea.............stock heads.
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes

Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158