Sets that you were disappointed with.

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:13 am

If you want to know a terrible snare drum. It is the Tama Swingstar. Wow, that thing broke on me, without me even noticing, until after awhile. Because I didn't understand. I replaced it with a Tama Artwood, and I must say, the Artwood is fuckin AMAZING!!!

Swingstar drums don't sound amazing to me, so as soon as I get about $700-$900 (HAHAHA), I will up my bass, tom-toms, and floor tom, to Superstar quality. Because I have heard it, and it sounds pretty nice.

I personally am totally against Yamaha, ONE reason. They don't focus on any ONE thing. Unlike Premier, Pearl, DW, Sonor, and Tama(The five top brands in my opinion), Yamaha, does stuff in every fucking category, from motorcycles, to drums, to this to that. I do not support them, even IF they DO sound good at all. lol I'm so harsh I know...

I personally would really like to try out a Sonor and Premier set... then I can talk about more types. My opinion on Pearl, they just... idk, not too much diversity, #5 in my opinion, from what I've played on, several different sets, Tama is my favorite brand. ^_^

Most damn original- TAMA. End of story.
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
Nitemareanatomy
new
new

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:41 am

The one kit that i have been absolutely unhappy with is the mapex pro m it has a very deep punchy bass drum but the hardware on the bass drum as far as tom mounts are completely ridiculous i cant set the tome to an angle or height that i can be comfortable on
grey_fox
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:41 am

I'm getting a mapex Pro M stomp kit with 13" rack 16" floor and 18" floor with a 24" kick i take it the pro M is going to be alot better than the M?
Kris.Is.Awesome
new
new

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:38 am

I love my swingstars- tuned up with some EC2's on the batters, and a SKII on the kick with a small port, the kit sounds amazing. Deep, boomy. The kick feels like a heart attack.

Low end kit? Yeah, high end sound.

I'd kill for a DW. The sound is AMAZING- if tuned right.
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:21 pm

i actually agree with many point that have been made thus far.

I've never been a fan of Yamaha drums, we've got a nice stage custom yamaha kit at my college, and no matter how much tuning its given, it doesnt sound nice to me at all, no power in the toms at all, however, i do like Yamaha snares, i always have, and they do have a nice sound with the kick drums, but the toms always sound AWFUL to me.

I've always been a big fan of Tama & Pearl drums. Pearl Masters and Referance are beautiful sounding drums, and Tama Starclassics have blown me away!
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
paiste01
new
new

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:56 pm

It's all based on opinion. Everyone ones ears like something different thats what makes us humans. So with my reply I own a DW and love it. The tonality and sustain is amazing with ther built in bottom tech and ESE. I have played Pearl(they have nothing to offer there export series in my opinion is horrible I would rather play on pot and pans), TAMA(starclassic kicks ass), Ludwig(outstanding), Sonor(with DW very pricy but you get a kit that gets even better with age so if you pay the price you should have a kit that will be in your arsenal forever.

DW
Paiste
TAMA
LP
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:17 pm

wow...no one likes yammies. i havent played many yamahas but they make one of my favorite snares and one of the best sounding kits ive played, the birch custom absolute. i still dont like dws though.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
pyrokatana
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:32 pm

whaatt???
i freakin love my mapex pro-m
yeah, the mounting took time to get used to, but can be easily converted to rack mounting. The great thing i love about it is that there is no puncture through any of the shells even the bass drum for mounting.

great set,
sounds incredible when tuned to your likeness,
great to play,
durable as hell too.

i'm gonna post my set on the gallery or whatever.
pyro
~Monty-Negro
McWrath
new
new

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:06 pm

Although I was seriously dissapointed at the physical appearance of my TAYE kit when I got it, I must admit that it sounds better than any drums I have ever played. The versatility in tuning is mind-blowing - I routinely tune mine very low to sound almost tribal, something I could not achieve so well without such tuning flexibility...

Taye Studio Maples combine everything the major drum companies out there are boasting, rim mounts, quality craftsmanship, lazer bearing edges, great hardware packs etc... all under a very affordable price tag. Also, they are made by Ayotte, which speaks loudly and clearly for itself.

I got one of the first Studio Maple kits to leave the factory and since have not heard a bad thing about them, anyone else play Taye?

Cheers,
Taye Studio Maple
Premier Artist Maple
Tama Starclassic Performer B.B-EFX
Zildjian A Custom/ Avedis
Sabian "Phil Collins" 21"Raw Bell Dry Ride
drummer101
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:11 pm

I have an M birch and to be honest im no one to disagree with the other people on here who dont like it because I havent played many kits. Looking back i probably should have saved more money and gone for a saturn or a superstar but the green finish and the offer of an extra tom was too much for me to refuse, also I had an old mapex venus series before that which was decent in my eyes.

I dunno is it the ball in socket mounts on these drums which annoys people or something? for me i love that, its so much easier to position the drum because you can move it any direction and then quickly lock it in place.

The kit itself looks stunning and the hardware is solid. Im also happy with the mounting system because it doesnt penetrate the shell. But the snare drum I dunno. Its most likely my lack of tuning skill or the skins but I cant get it to stop hissing. I have my 8" tom tuned quite low but even at that I cant tune the snare higher than it the screws just wont go any tighter and if i tune the snare lower then the 10" or the 12" make it hiss.
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:26 am

anavrinIV wrote:[color=deeppink]they make one of my favorite snares

I'll agree with that, Yamaha do make awsome snare drums!
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Mike T
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:03 am

I am in Agreement DW is the biggest letdown for the money,should drums be hard to tune? no so if they are it is a flaw in the design or manufacturing process...

To be honest here i think we are really lacking in any major drum manufacturer being a good product line all of them have something good but their product line is not consistant and for the money you pay it is a sad state the drum business is in...it is the main reason i went back to playing my vintage Rogers kit they work.

I do Like most of what i have seen and heard of Tama and i like the new Pearl Ian Paice snare but i still like the quality Drum wise of vintage Ludwig and Slingerland and Rogers over most drums made these days...
RussInsane
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:29 pm

The gretsch catalina set with the 18 inch Bass drum. Where the hell was "The Great Gretsch Sound" in that set???

Other then that Pearl makes some sets I strongly dislike and so does Yamaha, but one thing that gets on my nerves is Pacifc hardware.
Rockaflodge
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:22 am

DW - A BIG let down and very over priced. even thery hardwear is over priced and dont sound any better than a more reasonable kit and tama does nothing for me eather oh and OCDP drums might as well come with a life time supply of hair spray because all they are good for is looking cool.

I am a Pearl drummer and I think we get the most shit because our drums are a dime a dozen but most people make there opinion based on the exports kits but if you get a chance to play the masters you never think about it again. Every time I play live I get compliments from the sound guys on how good my kit sounded and how easy it was to mix and EQ and every studio engineer loves the way they sound recorded and pearls hardwear is the best on the market and customer surpport is the best. I think is because the standard is DW so when they get hear a kit like the masters, they are blowen away.
I Play Hard! I play Loud! I play Pearl!
¿got drums?
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:27 am

anavrinIV wrote:i have to agree with the stage customs, dws, and exports. honestly, everytime i play either scs or exports all i can think is that my swingstars both sound better and are more fun to play, and i just dont get all the hype around dws. some look pretty cool but they have a very boring sound, even compared to other maple kits, and especially compared to birch or reference series or bubingas.

about the dws i fully agree the look real cool and cost a pretty buck also when you can get a kit half the price to your likeing with good sound the lx's in my garage sound like shit i have old pearls in there and they blow the dw lx's away
pearl
zildjian
aquarian
remo
sabian B8
vic firth
wuhan