Sets that you were disappointed with.

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:47 am

Any sets that by your opinion only look great on ads but in reality they are just not worth the money?
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:35 pm

I maybe walking on thin ice but...
I've always had troubles with two popular semi-pro sets: Yamaha Stage Custom & Mapex-M
They don't sound good IMHO - I've heard/played them with different heads and tuning and to my ears they always sound bad but what really drives me mad about those drumkits whenever I sit behind one are those damn tomholders ;] I just can't adjust those drums to my liking. I truly and sincerely hate playing those drums ;)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
tim_otnematset
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:49 pm

HEY IM NEW HEAR, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO PUT A PICTURE OF MY DRUMS OR SOMETHIN HEAR?
metal 4 christ
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:35 pm

Sure, If you want to post a set of drums you've been disappointed with :)
Click on the Img button, write the location of the pic, click the button again.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Capeside Alex
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:30 am

Qbs wrote:I maybe walking on thin ice but...
I've always had troubles with two popular semi-pro sets: Yamaha Stage Custom & Mapex-M
They don't sound good IMHO - I've heard/played them with different heads and tuning and to my ears they always sound bad but what really drives me mad about those drumkits whenever I sit behind one are those damn tomholders ;] I just can't adjust those drums to my liking. I truly and sincerely hate playing those drums

i fully agree. i owned a set of stage customs. the tom rack is the most frusterating piece of shit. could never adjust it to my liking either. not to mention, im not a fan of a mounting system that goes into the tom drum....or any drum for that matter. i love my Ayotte's to death. sound incredible, and none of the shells have been punctured for mounting reasons.
Music is life...
...Life is Music.

CAPESIDE
ratfinkdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:57 pm

Pearl Export: every damn club in L.A. used to have these for a backline. They don't stay in tune, they don't stay put and they just don't sound good. DW: I suppose they're decent drums, but waaaaay overpriced and overrated compared to the competition.
Ludwig 3-ply drums & Paiste 2002 cymbals!
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:44 am

i have to agree with the stage customs, dws, and exports. honestly, everytime i play either scs or exports all i can think is that my swingstars both sound better and are more fun to play, and i just dont get all the hype around dws. some look pretty cool but they have a very boring sound, even compared to other maple kits, and especially compared to birch or reference series or bubingas.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
Howepirate

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:08 am

Qbs wrote:I maybe walking on thin ice but...
They don't sound good IMHO - I've heard/played them with different heads and tuning and to my ears they always sound bad but what really drives me mad about those drumkits whenever I sit behind one are those damn tomholders ;] I just can't adjust those drums to my liking. I truly and sincerely hate playing those drums ;)

they have the stage customs at my church i completely agree!!
phee
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:02 am

Okay, I'm just gonna say it. Veteran drummers, back me up. If you have been disappointed with a DW kit, you didn't tune it very well. DW drums are the standard to which all drums should be compared in my opinion. They are, however, pretty difficult to tune. Once you find the right way to tune them, you will be amazed. They are simply incredible and very very unique sounding.

My answer to the topic is a big resounding...PEARL.

The Masters Studio Birch is quite nice, but every other model I have played just plain sucks. They sound so bad. Their only hope is Pinstripe heads, since they sound the same no matter what drums you put them on for the most part. I will give them this, though. Pearl knows how to make a good kick drum. Even the Export kicks sound good. Every other product they make is a complete waste except for the Masters Studio Birch. .....only an opinion
Damian Saint
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:16 pm

Phee my Brother,

Gotta agree on some points, DW is the standard and they are very hard to get the right tuning unless you have the tone in mind when you pick the shells. Then it is a bit easier.

As for the pearl comments haha I hear ya I am exclusive to Pearl (eh hem unless I were to get my hands on a complete 10 peice Peavey set, but I digress) I use exports right now but have played the Birch, in my opinion even though the birch is AMAZONG sounding, they lose a little mind you in the snare. Pearl is now aware of this and with its new line it is asking you to assemble yoru dream kit so to speak. My buddy just put together a set with Birch high toms and maple shell lower toms, babinga wood bass drums and a very hot sounding maple snare. Thats is what I have always loved about pearl beside there incredible hardware and peddles, the fact that they listen (like DW does) except they keep me on my non signed budget. haha

Anyway just gotta say fireflight rocks great drumming bro!

Keep rockin positive!
totoole26
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:20 am

it seems these days when you purchase a kit there is always going to be something with it that you are not going to be happy with it. Well my advice is take out what you don't like from the kit and switch it with something you do. If tone is important to you then find the stuff tht pushes that magic button with you.
. I love maples snares, birch toms and love maple kicks. Each one drum was selected from combinations of companies Pork Pie, Tama, and Fibes, oh and DW. Yes the colors do not match and it looks like frankenstin but the sound is really what I was aiming for.
davidpetry
new
new

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:38 pm

Trick Drums
Mapex sucks too
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:15 am

phee wrote:Okay, I'm just gonna say it. Veteran drummers, back me up. If you have been disappointed with a DW kit, you didn't tune it very well. DW drums are the standard to which all drums should be compared in my opinion. They are, however, pretty difficult to tune. Once you find the right way to tune them, you will be amazed. They are simply incredible and very very unique sounding.

My answer to the topic is a big resounding...PEARL.

The Masters Studio Birch is quite nice, but every other model I have played just plain sucks. They sound so bad. Their only hope is Pinstripe heads, since they sound the same no matter what drums you put them on for the most part. I will give them this, though. Pearl knows how to make a good kick drum. Even the Export kicks sound good. Every other product they make is a complete waste except for the Masters Studio Birch. .....only an opinion

In some respects I agree with you. I think all the Pearl lines sound pretty much the same.

I am open to hearing DW kits sound good, after all they get a huge rap. But I have my doubts. I still haven't heard a kit that was so great it outclassed all the others. I compared several DW kits to Sonor Delites and the Sonors, to my ears at least, were clearly better.

Actually I have to admit to being unhappy with just about all the top lines now.

Gretsch don't even make their own shells anymore.

The Ludwigs are getting better, but they are not quite there yet.

Tama are very nice. Very powerful toms. But I don't like their snare drums.

All the Pearls sound the same.

Trick, to my ears, sound cheap and nasty.

I've never heard a Yamaha drum that I liked in over 25 years.

I've only heard low end Mapex. I can't comment on their high lines.

Brady are not what they were. I'm very disappointed with them now.

The only new high line kit I would buy today would be a Sonor Delite. Until I hear something better, that's how I'll go. I am just waiting to give more DW sets a listen because the shop I use does not sell Sonor anymore. I've just bought three Sonor hi end snare drums and they are incredible. I paid through the nose, but it was worth it.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:56 am

phee wrote:Okay, I'm just gonna say it. Veteran drummers, back me up. If you have been disappointed with a DW kit, you didn't tune it very well. DW drums are the standard to which all drums should be compared in my opinion. They are, however, pretty difficult to tune. Once you find the right way to tune them, you will be amazed. They are simply incredible and very very unique sounding.

Wow, I can't back you up, and I'm a veteran drummer, sorry... I had a DW kit that was actually dreadful... The truth of the matter is I think that DW drums are quite over-rated, while the kit that I has was exceptionally bad, the best ones I've heard were certainly no better than most mid-line keller shelled drums. In fact, I've never played a set that I really liked , and I can certainly tune a drum.

Dale wrote:I am open to hearing DW kits sound good, after all they get a huge rap. But I have my doubts. I still haven't heard a kit that was so great it outclassed all the others. I compared several DW kits to Sonor Delites and the Sonors, to my ears at least, were clearly better.

Yeah SONORS Delites are outstanding drums!

Dale wrote:Gretsch don't even make their own shells anymore.

Actually, they never did... The Gretsch Shells with "That Great Gretsch Sound" were made by a company called "Jasper Wood Products" and they recently ceased production, thus the new Keller Gretsch products.

Dale wrote:Trick, to my ears, sound cheap and nasty.

As you know, I prefer Trick over pretty much anything else on the market, but I once heard a set of Trick Drums that were very badly tuned and they sounded AWFUL, but in tune, those babies have a big warm sound! (And HUGE Dynamic Range) I will admit the SONOR Delites and the old Sonor Phonics sound pretty darn good... right up there with Trick in my opinion.

Dale wrote:I've never heard a Yamaha drum that I liked in over 25 years.

Me either! There's just something about them that doesn't float my boat.

But to answer the topic... I think the most disappointing drums I've encountered have to be DW in general.
starclassics
new
new

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:13 am

mapex and yamaha are my two main peeves.

They both sound waaaay too generic within their lines, and then don't add up sonically to anything I've heard from anywhere else.

As far as the DW front, I've heard them, played them, and tuned them. Don't get me wrong...I think they're great drums with some great finishes. However, the pricing is just too much for what you pay for. I think some drummers confuse the fact that since they payed top dollar for a kit, it starts to "sound" better....like if I bought a v6 mustang, yet started to feel that the car was "fast", lol.

I don't know, just my two cents worth. Just definitely don't like yamaha or mapex for sure.