Faster Setup time...

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

racefan33
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:39 am

I use a Gibraltar Rack. Saves a lot of time because I don't have to adjust any cymbal/tom arms, they just go on and off the rack. Memory locks and I use the 1/4 inch colored dots that Avery makes. I can get away with four colors by going in single, double, triple code. (yellow, red, blue, green, 2 yell, 2 red...) Because the dots are only 1/4 inch big you can place them on the memory locks and the clamps and hide them from the front view. It also makes it easier for someone if they are helping because everything is color coded.

I also use a carpet with tape marks on it. I put a "U" were the bass drum pedal sits and then a little marker where one of the lugs of the bass drum aligns with it to make sure the pedal is centered correctly on the drum.

The Vater Slipnuts also save a lot of time with the cymbal set up.
drummer_jim
new
new

Post Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:23 pm

I find that the use of multi-clamps to reduce the number of stands helps a lot. I mark my stands with a white paint marker (duct tape will eventually start rubbing and leaving tape residue on the inside of your stand). Having bandmates that are willing to help move things helps out a ton!!!! Also, try to maximize your cases. Get a stand bag and you can put your stick bag and bass drum pedal in with it, as well as your throne. I got double tom fibre cases, so I can get two in one. I use a 16" hard case for my 14" floor tom. That way the snare can fit as well. I get all my stuff (bass drum, 10", 12", 14" & 16" toms, snare and mini timbales) in 4 cases. All that is left is a stand bag and cymbal bag. That way I can do it alone in 3 trips max.

Hope this helps some!!
drummer_matt01
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:13 pm

Shalaq wrote:Ask the bandmates to help :P

haha haha hahahahahahahahahahahahaha like that would ever happen haha, nah serious a drum rack and memory locks makes it go alot quicker, and your drums will alaways be the same everytime you set em up
Bicycle Repair Man
new
new

Post Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:42 pm

Often get the bandmates to help, having locks on everything and a marked out carpet. But with bigger shows get the crew to do it!