Music that freaks you out!

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

jwcooper3
new
new

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:36 pm

Any music from any genre that is

1) insincere
2) lacking energy
3) lacking creativity
4) phoney
5) ruthlessly commercial
Gaddabout
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:37 pm

Music that freaks me out. I'm assuming you mean music that disturbs me, and not just music that annoys me. Music that truly disturbs for some logical and some irrational reasons includes:

klezmer music

bluegrass (w/yodeling and clog dancing)

anything connected with medieval era, especially when played by instrument that refers to itself as a "harp" (harpsichord, bone harp, mouth harp, nose harp, whatever harp)

GWAR

Rob Zombie

Thug rap, especially when performed by people with half a 73 Buick in their mouth

Nine Inch Nails

Anything that includes lyrics bragging about how virile or tough the singer is. (OK, I just find that annoying, not really freaky, but it is very, very annoying)

Celine Dion

Anything that utilizes a sitar

Free jazz

Anything that utilizes a banjo

Most anything that utilizes the flute

Power ballads sung by any metal band, nu or old

Atmospheric new age faux-natural muzac (When they come out with "abrasive sounds of the city," I'll buy that CD to put me to sleep. The sounds of waves puts me on edge.)

Needless to say, there's a lot out there that freaks me out, but I press on, anyway.
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:41 pm

Thug rap, especially when performed by people with half a 73 Buick in their mouth

Hahaha, I hear that! :p

I know we're talking negative influence but Lamb of God riffs and drum sections get stuck in my head for days and I have to listen to the songs over and over so I can play them. The guitar fretwork of Willie Adler, his melodic stuff is just insanity and it's like my brain can't decide whether it wants to learn to play guitar or beat the shit out of people.
seandude
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:46 pm

metal where u cant understand them "RMAHAHAGUYAAARAHAHHHHHH"
safe sex is in the palm of your hand
Gaddabout
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:17 pm

Alcyon wrote:

Hahaha, I hear that! :p

I think I could put thug rap, death metal, and a couple of other genres all into one big category:

- Any music that includes lyrics demanding I "respect" the artist in some way, shape, or form, rather than earning my respect by not being a no-self-esteem loser who cloaks themselves in an image of worldly power.

That about sums it up right there for me. If you tell me I have to respect you, I probably won't, and I don't care how many bullets you'll put in my brain. You could kill me -- all of us happen to be fragile in that way -- but you'll still be weak.

OK, anyone else want to get up on their soapbox? :wink:
jazzydrumr19
new
new

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:55 pm

Cradle of Filth.... crazy stuff and really creepy!
Cockfight Custom Drums
Zildjian A customs
14" Hats
16" crash
18" crash
20" crash
16" Wuhan China
6 1/2" Zil-Bel
Evans Heads
DW Double Bass pedal
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:20 pm

Can we drop the whole metal vs. whatever else you play thing? It's so stupid. Either you like it or you don't, there's not going to be anyone convincing anyone else what kind of music they should like.
ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:57 pm

anavrinIV wrote:im not freaked out by music but the closest i get is really bad grind...the kind where the guitarists think they need to sweep during every verse, the drummer cant pull off even the simplest blast beat, and the "vocalist" has no lyrics but instead screams a note 3 octaves above the rest of the band in short bursts. the only thing worse is when the crowd thinks its awesome.

my old singer did that.alot! but thats why hes my old singer! there a dime a dussion,it picking out the good from the crap lol
MAPEX DRUMS/Tama Drums/PEARL HARDWARE

EVANS/ATTACK DRUM HEADS

ALESIS,DDRUM,

ZILDJIAN/ISTANBUL CYMBALS

VATER PERCUSSION
ShockValue_10
new
new

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:59 pm

i'd say jazz its a cool style but its confusing
santana81
new
new

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:21 pm

I have to agree about all the extreme metal drumming out there. As a metal drummer myself am torn between what seems to be mechanics vs. style/technique.

One of my favorite drummers, Raymond Herrera of Fear Factory, has a horrible sound when he is not triggered and playing along with a band. I love his sound recorded and in concert but I really can't stand to watch him play his drum tracks on youtube. Impressive but I'm not impressed by the sound.

I have never been one to overplay, especially in a recording. I would never want to play solid blast beats throughout and entire song, even if I could. I think all their techniques work in moderation though.
mikelvan
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:10 am

I dig all music. i have been a metal and fusion drummer for over 20 years. i have found that playing country is actualy harder for me than playing metal or fusion.. subtle dynamics can be a challenge.. playing soft.. of course i can only listen to county when i am drunk,, so country or any music that is top 40 freaks me out,, no mainstream no conformaty..
Tatterdemons
new
new

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:29 pm

I am afraid of Radiohead's Pulk/Pull Revolving doors. It makes me feel insane.
repludwig4rl
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:46 pm

I hate hip hop ,rap rb and any of that dumb crap.
Ludwig Drumz
Paiste,Sabian,Wuhan Cymbals
Remo Heads
PacificDW,Ludwig,Girbritar Hardware
Pro-Mark Sticks
Bigredfndz
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:47 am

Faggot ass Industrial. And Pop.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:58 am

Polka Metal, and Power metal. It's just too over the top for me, in a way that makes me cringe. I prefer Death metal and black metal, though I realize that makes some people feel the exact same way I feel about Power Metal.

And I was never a fan of reggae. It doesn't freak me out, just can't stand it. Bores me to tears.

The same with disco and most techno/trance. I have nothing against it, or people that love it, I think it's just the monotony of the beats that drives me bat shit insane! :P

I do listen to a lot of other stuff though like jazz, classical, folk, pop, classic rock, alternative and punk, so I don't want anyone to think I'm closed minded. :?
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads