Music that freaks you out!

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

pphunk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:01 am

The only music that I really can't listen to for an extended period of time is pop. I'm not going to say it's crap or that it doesn't take talent, because that's just not true. I just don't feel it. But obviously there are enough people out there that do, seeing as it's the most popular music of today, but then maybe that's the work of the corporations behind it...I'll not open that can of worms though. I guess to me, I like to hear variety, and I just don't hear that in pop. But then maybe I'm not listening close enough. A lot of what I hear though sounds the same, I know that's cliché, that anything you don't understand all looks/sounds the same, and sure there are exceptions, but the vast majority of what I hear is very similar. When I listen to the radio I can hear 10 songs in a row and all 10 will have the same drum/guitar/bass/vocal sound. As if they just pressed some magical "pop sound" button in pro tools that transforms the actual sound of their instruments into that typical radio sound. I like to think of pop as the microwave dinner of the music world. Which is fine, I've eaten and enjoyed plenty-o salisbury steaks in my day, I just prefer something with a little more flavor.
Flatliner

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:25 pm

I've never heard anything blasting from someone's car stereo (hip-hop, country, dance music etc.) that I though was any good, perhaps some of you guys know what I mean.
necrovore
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:47 pm

all music driven by artistic expression = something to gain from it.

music driven by money and fashion = Mac Donalds music... bubble gum... not music in the true sense, rather "colourful sounds".
Abi In Malam Rem
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:50 pm

I'm not even gonna comment on the whole metal debate going on and I'll just answer the freaking question:

Music that freaks me out: polka, circus music

there's lots of other music that I don't like or I can't stand, but those two freak me out man.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:44 am

COUNTRY!!!( I FUCKING HATE IT) :twisted: RAP!!!!( I DESPISE IT) :evil:

PRISSY POP MUSIC! (DONT GET ME STARTED) :twisted: :evil:

I PLAY INDUSTRIAL! ALOT OF TRICKY DRUM WORK ITS VERY UNDERATED
MAPEX DRUMS/Tama Drums/PEARL HARDWARE

EVANS/ATTACK DRUM HEADS

ALESIS,DDRUM,

ZILDJIAN/ISTANBUL CYMBALS

VATER PERCUSSION
Soundestruction
new
new

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:52 am

Yeah man, I can understand that a lot of folks are freaked out by metal that is intense.... I think it's a common misconception that this kind of music is "soul-less." What needs to be kept in mind is that everyone has a different way of expessing themselves, and there is no difference between the emotional attachment to the writing of very intense and busy music as compared to the writing of whatever kind of music the non-metal listener is appreciating or considering to be so emotionally in depth... I happen to know that writing a lot of this intense music is quite personal and a very real application of the way one feels and expresses themselves... Don't be closed off to listening and trying to understand... It may just open up your mind a bit more... Of course there are a lot of metal bands that use very little dynamics and are very mechanical... Just learn to appreciate their execution of note placement and precision in a non dynamic way... There is a lot to take from any style... Also, some very modern and experimantal metal that is just insane is not far from Jazz... Experimental metal is the new jazz you bastards!!!! hahahaha!! cheers
WhiteOleander
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:13 pm

generally no music scares me, I have a huge tolerence for any type of music, maybe exept german folk music (the one where a couple stand on a stage in funky outfits, and a whole crowd of 90yearolds sing along all jolly while eating weinerschitzel)...
that being said, I dont think death metal or the likes is that scary.. sure its not always pretty to listen to, but its a whole new way of expressing feeligns and emotions without corny lyris. I used to love it when I was 13, the darker and more bizarre the better =) you should check out XXX Maniac though, thats fucked up shit =D
~Kris
c360blaster
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:32 pm

ministry freaks me out.. every song i've herd sounds like a bad trip. once i passed out and that's all i heard in my head was some repetitive ministry song and it sounded like i was going to hell or somthing.
mortem
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:57 pm

John Zorn and Captain Beefheart.. I really love em, but they just keep freeeaaakin me out everytime I listen to their music haha
"Master your instrument, master the music... then forget all that shit and just play."
-Charlie Parker

www.myspace.com/elfungo
www.last.fm/user/m0rtem
http://www.youtube.com/m0rtem
Alidrummer
new
new

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:40 pm

There's a song by Mr Bungle and Melt Banana called Area 877.

It's totally insane. lol
Dillface
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:47 pm

Captain_Original wrote:Ska. It's super fun. :)

Oh dude, Ska is freaking amazing. Gotta love the horns :mrgreen:
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:52 pm

iv been playing metal for about 5 years, and i dont understand how you can not be impressed by the blistering speeds and intricate technicality, listen to cryptopsy, origin, beneath the massacre, decapitated, dying fetus,cephalic carnage, etc there is some AMAZING talent in those bands. and every one has a seriously kick ass drummer
RetardeDrummer666
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:59 pm

CHRISTAIN MUSIC!!
well, you should expect this from a satanist, as myself.... but seriously....
SHUT UP ABOUT GOD!!
its annoying....
lucky i don't hear it often....
BUT GZZZ
rocketeer drummer
new
new

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:59 pm

listen to backwords marathon by between the buried and me. its metal...almost grind, but in the middle it goes to a break and gets extremely melodic, almost ambient.
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:54 pm

im not freaked out by music but the closest i get is really bad grind...the kind where the guitarists think they need to sweep during every verse, the drummer cant pull off even the simplest blast beat, and the "vocalist" has no lyrics but instead screams a note 3 octaves above the rest of the band in short bursts. the only thing worse is when the crowd thinks its awesome.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.