Music that freaks you out!

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:55 am

Name genres of music that totally freak you out- music that is completely beyond your reach mentally in a negative sense.
What freaks me out is all the genres of extreme metal- I know that there are a lot of great drummers playing brutal death metal etc, but I just don't understand (or can't grasp) what is so cool or artistic about it.
Post your opinions and maybe we'll have an interesting discussion ;)
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:19 am

german techno/dance ;]
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
tim_otnematset
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:12 am

Shalaq wrote:Name genres of music that totally freak you out- music that is completely beyond your reach mentally in a negative sense.
What freaks me out is all the genres of extreme metal- I know that there are a lot of great drummers playing brutal death metal etc, but I just don't understand (or can't grasp) what is so cool or artistic about it.
Post your opinions and maybe we'll have an interesting discussion ;)
www.myspace.com/otnematset YOURE RIGHT WHEN U SAY THAT A LOT OF METAL BANDS SOUND LIKE A MESS AND DO MUCH OF THE SAME THING BUT THERE IS A LOT OF METAL BANDS THAT PLAY EXTRIMLY HEAVY MUSIC AND DO SOME PREETY IMPRESIVE STUFF, HAVE YOU HEARD DIMMU BORGIR, THE DRUMMER IS A FAT DUDE BUT ITS CREAZY HOW HE COULD PLAY, AND IN METAL YOU NEAD A LOT OF ENDURANCE THATS ALSO A BIG PART OF IT.
metal 4 christ
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:58 pm

Yeah they may be fast or whatever, I just don't think of making music in terms of endurance or speed. Music is about transfering your state of mind and emotions. I believe that it is somehow lost in extreme metal. But that's just my opinion :)
tim_otnematset
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:44 pm

state of mind and emotions? pure aggressivness and if you like the music and like to play it you could realy express yore self in your playing. but thats in any music, music to me is an expretion of a state of mind. AND IM NOT ARGUING. HAHA GOD BLESS
metal 4 christ
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:21 pm

tim_otnematset wrote:state of mind and emotions? pure aggressivness and if you like the music and like to play it you could realy express yore self in your playing. but thats in any music, music to me is an expretion of a state of mind. AND IM NOT ARGUING. HAHA GOD BLESS

I know that it's aggressive. I listen to a lot of metal music. It's just that life is not all about aggression, is it? :)
tim_otnematset
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:49 pm

no its not, but we are talking about that style of music, or not?
metal 4 christ
Tool_Drummer_Zach
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:06 am

Shalaq wrote:
tim_otnematset wrote:state of mind and emotions? pure aggressivness and if you like the music and like to play it you could realy express yore self in your playing. but thats in any music, music to me is an expretion of a state of mind. AND IM NOT ARGUING. HAHA GOD BLESS

I know that it's aggressive. I listen to a lot of metal music. It's just that life is not all about aggression, is it? :)
But! just because you may think its aggression look how much more the bands put into the work and thier outsides live arent always screaming and blood and gore and ido! listen to loads of screaming and hardcore bands bands but look at Norma jean prolly one of the best CHRISTIAN ROCK! bands and you wouldnt think for a moment that they were but its not the music you listen to its the emotions and vocals coming through the mouth lol i dont wanna argue but thats my opinion lol
KISS-"(Keep It Simple Stupid)" -Eddy Chapman

Taye drums
bunnybunny
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:44 am

I must say thay I don't like pop and hip hop music
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
Captain_Original
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:07 pm

Ska. It's super fun. :)
Silzildrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:56 pm

Pink Floyd can seem really creppy if you listen to it late at night. For a genre, Techno.
Last edited by Silzildrummer on Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carter
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:01 am

techno
Tama drums!
AMTJake
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:47 am

I give all music a chance but I find it difficult to listen to pop, hiphop, rap, and soft rock.

I'm a metal head but I listen to just about everything under the sun including those genres I just listed. Once you get a good understanding of metal and start enjoying it, all other music just seems so bland and empty. Here's the misconception: Grindcore is about killing everyone, metal is just like all other music but heavier and more often will have an aggressive edge to it. Example, listen to Machine Head vs. Cannibal Corpse.
Mr. Pants
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:37 am

Bands: The Carpenters, Messhuggah, and Little Joe and his Traveling Polka Band.

That is some freaky shit!

Lants
http://www.myspace.com/casanatrampls

20" Hi-Hats are nothing to be ashamed of...
prog_drummer_77
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:03 am

I actually love the psycho/brilliant/scary shit man. like Tool, Office of Strategic Influence....all of those with weird time sigs and weird sound effects...things that make u scared just listening to it, things that make you think...technical, psychotic, and meaningful yet mysterious lyrics.
Joshua "Cornbread" Hughes