Your job in a band

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

BelialX27
new
new

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:26 am

I play in a death metal band so drums are kind of a key element to establish tempo and rythim.(yes death metal has rythim). My personal view on this that without a solid foundation the guitars(at least my guitarists) tend to get a little crazy. i am invlolved with the writting process right from the beginning, when they present a riff i am already figuring out what the drums will be doing to both enhance the riff and lead the riff into the next section of the song. so i feel the drummers job in any band is mostly to drive the song along as well as accent what everyone else is doing, as well as be a major part of the music.
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:35 am

I mostly write the drum parts but if I have lyric or arrangement ideas I throw them out and occaisionally do some back up singing. I also handle our promotions, website and some of the booking. We're really collabarative...If any of us have ideas, about a song, we throw them out there and some get used, some dont.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
barnanimal54
new
new

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:10 pm

besides playing drums im basically the manager i find gigs talk to event managers i also set up the sound system and run it if there isnt a sound guy. heres a challange try running a sound board while playing drums drummer/singers dont have anything on me :-D
Kaskut
new
new

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:47 pm

Obviously drumming, making riffs and guitar parts too... not too many lyrics, but i got some in there, and i lay down the backround screams for our band
Zatan
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:11 pm

My main focus is on the drums and rythmic construction of a song. Most my energy goes into composing appropriate drum riffs and accents throughout a song being composed. After the raw blueprints of a song have been laid out, usually through intense jamming, I plan out every stroke (yet leave a margin for improv intended for live performances).

I don't think drums are simply supposed to keep count. A drum track should sound good and be enjoyable standing alone. No one practices every day for years to become a click-track. ;)

I have written the occasional bass line or riff, I interfere with the structure of songs and annoy people manning mixing consoles, but usually my job is to take the riffs and parts the guys write and orchestrate the drums & percussion around that.

I find that drums, their maintenance and tuning is a full time job in a band; I show up first and leave last...
zerodogma
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:44 pm

Hmmm.... never really thought about it too much, but I like helping on arrangements (I don't really write anything) and do all the photoshop stuff for gigs and flyers i.e.:

I am also supposed to be putting the bands official website together, but my job has been sucking all of my creative/free time.
Stand back! I have a COWBELL... and I am not afraid to use it.........
Saluda Cymbals - B20 never sounded so good...
LeJayk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:31 pm

I write lyrics sometimes. Not all of them are shown to the band, or anyone else, but I make sure the ones that are is a reflection of my best works.

I played guitar for 2 years or so before picking up the sticks, so I can write riffs and stuff, but I find it awkward to tell my guitarist how to play something or if its wrong, as hes a much better guitarist than me. Plus the whole guitarist ego thing ;)

So I'm pretty involved with everything. I also co-manage and take care of all the interwebs stuff.
Laz
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:51 pm

Last band I was in, I sang and a buddy of mine played my set. I'm between bands right now, but in my last band I usually helped write bass, drums, lyrics and some guitar parts for some songs.
Custom sized 4 Tom Cherry Black Tama Starclassic Maple kit
6x14 Starclassic Maple G Snare
8 Paiste Cymbals
Aquarian Heads
Tama Hardware all around.
Pro Mark Sticks
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm

i've always written some of the lyrics for the band i'm in, but not until i actually put down my math and rhythm books, buckled down, and studied overall music theory did i ever actually come up with the original riff or chord of a song.
nowadays i'm always sitting behind a piano or with a guitar, thinking of new stuff for the band. of course it's all in odd time signatures...but that's just how i roll.
i'm getting so used to it that now i can just be in the middle of practice and all of a sudden think of something and dictate exactly what i thought of to the guys and we'll build off of it in our next jam.
Beat on.
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:02 pm

When my band starts up, I will be the main lyricist, drummer, and either main or backing vocals.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
premierdrumr15
new
new

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:11 pm

i do write the drum parts but i can also play guitar....and piano.....and i write some lyrics...and run the band website and things like that. I do just about everything! thats how i like it, and my band is really successful.
Brett

Premier drumset, Yamaha Custom Bamboo Snare, all Sabian cymbals.
blackreign
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:37 am

Im involved with a few projects...
My current more commited band I play drums, write all the drum parts, and don't really have a say in anything besides drumming...

One other project I have been "secretly" working on is a solo project, kind of a mixture of death metal, rock and black metal and progressive metal.... I do guitars, vocals (growling and actual singing ala opeth) and drums, but I don't add bass (even though I play bass too, Im just lazy...)

the other project im doing is a grindcore/death metal project in the likes of mortician and pig destroyer with my friend since he seems to like those bands... I do vocals, a bit of guitar riffing, and drumming (whilst growling heh...)